It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epstein Barr Virus (EBV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-02-2012, 07:58 PM   #1
(female)

confused354 HB User
Diagnosis of EBV and still feeling pretty horrible?

Symptoms over the past 2 months included episodes of nausea, vomiting, faintness, chills but chronic symptoms have mostly been severe fatigue, lightheaded, weakness, random body aches, dehydration (dry mouth, dry skin), eyes bloodshot, occasional dull pain in chest and stomach areas.

My results from the doctor just came back stating "you've just had active EBV, but you're now in the convalescence stage" and to avoid contact sports or other strains activity. "Nothing further needs to be done". But if the way I've felt in the past week after having blood drawn is any indication, I certainly don't feel like I'm in any sort of healing stage. My typical symptoms are still really at their worst. In fact, I've noticed dark circles developing under my eyes and getting worse this week, even though I am sleeping adequately. I find that worrying. I should be feeling better, but I'm not. This makes me think misdiagnose with something else similar.

Other test results showed that cbc could was normal, electrolytes good, kidney function good, thyroid normal, diabetics test "excellent", vitamin b levels normal, vitamin d levels however were low. Doctor prescribed anti-acids for the chest and stomach pains, and doesn't seem to help with them. Also prescribed vitamin d 50000 once a week.

Perhaps low d levels are making this more difficult for my body to deal with? Is it normal to still feel bad in this "stage" of infection? How long can the symptoms potentially last? I need advice and input from someone who's been through this?

Last edited by confused354; 02-02-2012 at 08:03 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 02-09-2012, 04:59 AM   #2
(female)

kaz26 HB User
Re: Diagnosis of EBV and still feeling pretty horrible?

Hi there

I have been ill for almost a year with the same symptoms as you - major fatigue, day time sweating, dry mouth sip water all the time, feel like passing out, major swollen glands, sore throat, hoarseness etc.

Have just had another full blood count and it has come back with H pylori helicobacter a bacteria of the stomach and glandular fever (mono). Do not now if still active as my doctor has gone on leave and will speak with her in 10 days.

I also have what my friend terms as a hollowed look under my eyes - did not know that this virus could go one for soooooo long and it is worrying and hard to always face each day - probably am over the worst now that it has been diagnosed so late.

See your post is from around the same time as i started with my symptoms so would be interesting to have an update from you as so similar to me.

I did write up and update to be posted but as i went to view it lost it and it is too long to write out again - maybe it has gone through to be checked and will pop up.

Old 02-22-2012, 06:32 PM   #3
(female)

confused354 HB User

Update as requested - Past couples of weeks have been rough. Anxiety is flaring up in the face of persisting systems of fatigue, lightheadedness, dizziness, body aches, head aches. Not sleeping well. Have developed circles under my eyes, and this week have sore dry lips, and tongue hurts like it was burnt, but wasn't. I've been suspicious of the possibility of some sort of separate infection apart from mono possibly in the mouth or throat like a yeast infection. Otherwise these new symptoms do not make sense. Also did not make sense to to be told a month ago that I was in a healing phase when the worst of it actually had just set in.

Still don't feel like myself and feel so tired and weird all the time, missed my follow up today so I'll not be able to see the doc until next week?

I'm confused where you say you've been ill for a year but my post was made when you began symptoms? I made the post at the beginning of this month.

Last edited by confused354; 02-22-2012 at 06:36 PM.

Old 04-01-2012, 11:39 AM   #4
(female)

Steph9616 HB User

I'm not sure how you've been feeling in the month since your last post, but you should really ask your physician to check your ASO titers. It tests for recent strep infections, and could also explain some of you how you're feeling. It may seem like a shot in the dark, but another lab can't hurt. Hope this helps.

Old 10-20-2012, 04:50 PM   #5
(female)

Toosmart282 HB User

Me too I know exactly how you feel just tested positive for EBV. Can't think bumble on my words. Feel like I'm stupid lazy lol. I'm just sick I've been like this going on about 4 months it sucks!

Old 10-23-2012, 09:19 PM   #6
(female)

jablts HB User

Here is my recent experience and what my FINAL diagnosis is--perhaps it can help you. Terrible bronchial infection in early July and late August 2012. Besides antibiotics once, which seemed to help, I was prescribed prednisone--which really helped! Then finally in late September I was still feeling terrible, but no more bronchial infection symptoms, just a little cough and EXTREMELY weak, depressed, frustrated, etc, etc. A test showed EBV, but it was unclear if it was active. Finally went to the ER two weeks later after several days of "not feeling right" and the doc admitted me right away after blood tests showed low sodium and dangerously high potassium. ALSO--very important--LOW CORTISOL. My endo finally weighed in last week, took another cortisol test and ACTH test, and I have Addison's disease [officially diagnosed this morning]. I've been on 25 mg of hydrocortisone a day for a week now and already feel sooo much better! The EBV was definitely NOT active because my CBC was fine while in the hospital. So, I'm throwing another [remote] possibility out there, but since your experience is similar to mine, I thought I'd give it a shot.

Last edited by jablts; 10-23-2012 at 09:24 PM. Reason: add medication

Old 10-23-2012, 09:26 PM   #7
(female)

jablts HB User

Also, I don't know where you live, but Vitamin D deficiency is quite common for people in North America, especially the more north you are. I have had it, took the very high Vitamin D for awhile, but now am fine just taking 1000 mg/day from the drugstore.

Old 01-18-2013, 09:04 AM   #8
(male)

igotcandida HB User

i have EB virus, but i found out first that i got candida in my esophagus,symptoms: dry mouth,dizzy,lightheadedness,tachycardia, high blood pressure,malaise,sore throat(like burning), i just took fluconazole for 3 weeks,still feeling EB symptoms

Closed Thread