It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epstein Barr Virus (EBV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 06-01-2012, 01:19 PM   #1
(male)

bobbydigital41 HB User
Unhappy EBV and Thyroid MADNESS!!! Stuck between a rock and insanity.

Here is the story, I'll try and make it brief.

I was diagnosed through blood work for both Hypothyroid and epstein barr virus. Actually, I have been dealing with EBV for a few years now and recently diagnosed with Hypothyroid. The problem is that the medication that I take for Hypothyroid aggravates my EBV. So without the medicine I have low thyroid and I am extremely tired, with the medicine my EBV kicks in I feel like crap. I have blood work to prove that I am dealing with both.

I started on Levothyroxine, the synthroid, synthetic hormone and that was making my EBV act up. So, I switched to a natural dessicated form of Thyroid, first Armour with a prescription, that gave me a little more relief and now I am taking a non-prescription version called Porcine Thyroid by Nutri-Meds. Again, the EBV was not as agressive on the Nutri-Meds supplements, but still present.

Anyone have any clue how to handle this situation? I just want my life back!

Sincerely, Bob

Last edited by bobbydigital41; 06-01-2012 at 01:21 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-07-2012, 01:32 PM   #2
(female)

Joy2222 HB User
Re: EBV and Thyroid MADNESS!!! Stuck between a rock and insanity.

You may want to check out Wilson's Syndrome. Some of us can't convert T-4 to T-3 and I take Cytomel (T-3) in addition to my levoxyl. I have EBV, FIBRO, Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. The Cytomel has really helped with my pain and some energy. I am, also, on LOW DOSE Naltrexone for my energy and to help my immune system.

Last edited by moderator2; 06-07-2012 at 02:04 PM. Reason: please do not post a commercial website for any reason

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-15-2012, 07:23 AM   #3
(male)

bobbydigital41 HB User

Just thought I would update the outcome of the challenge that I was facing above. After reading a little bit more about hypothyroidism, iodine deficiency, although rare, can sometimes be the cause. So, I started supplementing iodine and my life turned back on like a switch and I am off all medication for hypothyroid.

Old 06-17-2012, 12:48 PM   #4
(female)

ANGELINMICHIGAN HB UserANGELINMICHIGAN HB User

bobbydigital41...hi, do you mind me asking what kind of iodine supplement you started taking please. Thanks AngelelinMichigan....Lyn

Old 06-18-2012, 07:02 AM   #5
(male)

bobbydigital41 HB User

Absolutely, its called "Tri-Iodine" by Terry Naturally. It's 12,500 mcg or 12.5 mg per serving and its a blend of 3 types of iodine. Be careful though, if you have a thyroid condition thats caused by something other then an iodine deficiency, like an auto-immune disease, taking iodine can make it worse! If this is something you might want to try to cure HYPOthyroid, it would be safer to try kelp supplements first, which contain a much lower dosage of iodine. Hope this was helpful! FYI to anyone listening, I feel better each day.

Old 06-18-2012, 07:22 AM   #6
(female)

bobbydigital41

Hey thanks for your reply. I will talk to my doctor about the iodine and the kelp. I don't know which comes first the Epstein Barr or the Immune Deficiency so I will be careful. My doctors do not understand Epstein Barr nor do they pay any attention to me when I bring it up. I went to a homeopathic doc who diagnosed me the EBV/CMV and chronic fatigue back in 2003 and he gave me thousands of dollars worth of whole food supplements that did nothing for me and then he told me he couldn't help me any more like many other doctors have told me. I am now after many years of being diagnosed with fibromyalgia which to my doctors still doesnt mean anything different to them because they haven't given me anything else that works for that they just ignore me. When I come to the doctors for a cold or a throat infection or something else bothering me, my doctor doesn't even want to talk about my fibro/cfs. you can tell because he never brings it up. It is like a taboo subject!!! I have since then changed doctors but I myself feel like nobody wants to mention it and that includes my family and friends also so I sit alone with my thoughts and pain and am now back again researching to try and help myself. Thank you so much as I just started about 8 months ago take levothyroxine for Hypothyroidism and am on the lowest dosage. I had to talk my doctor into giving me a thryoid test because I suspected I had this condition. He was hesitant but did the test and my TSH level was off. I had every symptom for years and finally he tested me for it. My new doctor re tested my levels and says that the dosage I am on is fine for now but I think it should be a higher dosage but she won't listen either. She doesn't know me yet!!! I will talk to her about the iodine or even the kelp first. I live with chronic pain and I am not sure if the EBV/CMV and the fibromyalgia itself is the cause but any help I will try and take. I do take multi vitamins, fish oil, neurontin for nerve pain, topomax and a few other medications for headaches.
Thank you so much for taking the time out to reply to me.
Take care Lyn in Michigan

Old 06-18-2012, 07:53 AM   #7
(male)

bobbydigital41 HB User

If your doctor is like every other ****** doctor he will tell you to stay away from it, because he is stuck in his ways and he is going to stick with what he knows. Taking 1 or 2 kelp pills, which might contain 500 micrograms of iodine isn't going to kill you. If I were you I would run right out to the health food store, pick up some kelp and take a couple pills while standing in line to pay for them...because I would be desperate for answers that the medical community is failing to provide.

I have been sick for the past 7 years and today I feel great. I have been through EBV, Lyme Disease, heavy metal poisoning, Hypothyroidism and all the pain and fatigue that comes with them and I had to figure a lot out for myself, because 30 doctors couldn't help me.

Finally, I found 1 doctor who would prescribe antibiotics without a negative lyme test and if you felt the herx reaction, then that was your diagnosis. And I have found an alternative doctor that tested me for heavy metal poisoning (mercury) and again I felt better after every treatment, so I had heavy metal poisoning. Traditional doctors will only prescribe what they can prove to the insurance company. Consider every possibility. Simplify the possibilities into 4 -5 categories, 1 - viral, 2 - bacterial, 3 - auto-immune or inflammatory, 4 - heavy metal, 5 - mineral deficiency. If the treatment (antibiotics or chelation therapy) is making you feel better, then thats what you do! Regardless of what the inadequate doctors or the inaccurate tests say. Usually, if the conditions are worse enough, you will feel a reaction right away. With the antibiotics, when I took the first pill I knew that we had figured something out. Same with the kelp, a couple hours after I took the pills I knew that I was on to something, because at last I found something that was giving me the reaction that I had been searching for.

I've been through a lot and I've learned a lot and so far I have been pretty safe just googling drug interactions and doing my research online to make sure that whatever I was about to take, can be taken safely.

Also, ANGELINMICHIGAN, you might want to look into natural thyroid products like Porcine Thyroid from NutriMeds. Desiccated thyroid has been around longer then the synthetic crap and is much safer and better for you.

Old 06-18-2012, 01:22 PM   #8
(female)

bobbydigital41.....Why do we have to do all of this ourselves...I am soooo frustrated honestly. I just came back from the store and am babysitting my grandchildren but am going out first thing tomorrow to get some of this and will honestly research as soon as my grandchildren have gone home about the iodine!!! I am not sure if the homeopathic doctor had me on iodine I do know however that thousands of dollars later that nothing he gave me helped. Now that was in 2003 and recently I went to another homeopathic or same type, they were both chiropractor/homeopathic and they did this hokey pokey thing with pushing down on your arms for strength to see what was missing in your body with a bottle of pills in one hand and if your arm resisted then you needed or didn't need those kind of pills....Research Dr. R. Tent Novi Michigan. He is a big time Doctor of all of this, very interesting!!!! He says he has never missed diagnosing a Liver Virus (Epstein Barr) by just putting his hand on the outside of your body and doing that analysis thing he does. Check him out it is very interesting, couldn't help me though because there is something else going on that I guess I have to find out myself just like you did. Now I find something very interesting in reading your note. I have pain every where in every muscle, every joint in my whole body. I also besides Fibro, I have TMJ, night splint the whole thing. In having my last check-up my dentist was going through my chart with the nurse and he told his assistant to put down that I was "allergic" to my caps (4 front teeth), and then proceeded to go on to the next tooth. I put my hand up and asked "what does that mean"!!! He is a fairly new dentist but this is my 3rd checkup with him. He said your allergic to your front caps or crowns, you have a "nickel allergy" and I said how can you tell and he said that because my gums were a bluish purple. Well I said "what does it mean" and he didn't know!!!! I didn't research it much but who know I have had these caps about 15 years and have been sick for around 13 chronically anyway. Who knows what can cause what in our systems!!! I am just saying this because we don't know what can cause problems or wreak havoc in our bodies!!! I am just rambling on because I am sick of everything with no answers. I am going to research this iodine and will definitely try it and the kelp. Thank you so much for taking the time to answer me.

Take care....Lyn in Michigan

Old 06-18-2012, 02:54 PM   #9
(female)

bobbydigital41...Hi, I just read my post back and I didn't say much about my hypothyroidism and that was your topic sorry. Had babysitting on my mind!!! Now that they are gone home I can concentrate more. I was diagnosed several years ago with hypothyroidism several years ago out of no where from my neurologist and didn't no much about it then. She just called me and told me to make an appt. with my GP for medication. He gave me Levothyroxine 50 MCG at that time and I just went on it and after awhile noticed that I put on quite a few pounds with taking it. After 3 months renewal was up I asked the doctor if I could go off of it because I didn't like that I had put on weight and he said "no problem"!!! So I went off of it. I didn't no how much of a problem "Hypothyroidism was to my body and to my condition at that time under years later I started researching again and asked my doctor for a blood test again and of course my TSH level was out of whack "still" and he put me back on Levothyroxine again. I had been thinking that I had never been able to get weight off and I had been on Cymbalta also for years and thought that I had gained weight because of the Cymbalta because that is a definite side effect. My doctor should never have let me go off of the Levothyroxine in the first place and now he has put me back on it and only has me on 25MCG and (I know what do I want) I am with a new doctor now and asked her to check my levels again and because I have been researching I think that 25MCG that I might as well be on nothing. I don't know what my levels are right now. I have my records but am exhausted and will find my TSH numbers later. I know that I have so many symptoms of hypothyroidism and I do in fact have it but now that I am in tune with what is going on, do I have Fibro? I have so many unanswered questions, I also have had surgery on my neck and had a failed fusion (my donor bone did not fuse) and my surgery was 2003 and in 2005 my surgeon finally sent me for a myelogram and then realized that I hadn't fused not until after he told me that it was probably fibromyalgia, by then his "god complex" neurosurgeon mind was too hurt to help me so I am still in chronic neck pain. I am sorry to ramble but I find doctors not much help. I was on some homeopathic natural extra whole food supplements (standard process is the brand name) for hypothryroidism too. Maybe I didn't give it enough time either but I definitely will try the kelp and check into the Iodine. Sorry for this long post again!!!
Take care Lyn in Michigan

Old 06-19-2012, 09:14 AM   #10
(male)

bobbydigital41 HB User

"Why do we have to do all of this ourselves?" - It's horrible but I think that greed has corrupted the health care institution of this country. If it's not making them any money, then its not worth supporting.

I feel your frustration. I went through doctors like I was trying to hire a new employee. There are diamonds in the rough.

I saw a doctor once that did that thing where he pushes down your arm to see whats missing in your body. I haven't been back since.

I don't know about nickel. But, I had mercury poisoning and most people get mercury poisoning from fillings that they had put in back when they used mercury to make those amalgam fillings. The fillings deteriorate over time and the metal just leaks into your system creating havoc. Now that I am over the lyme, ebv, and hypothyroid I strongly believe that it was the heavy metal that was at the center of all my health problems. There is NO WAY that it was all a coincidence.

Neck pain can be the worst. I have also been suffering from severe neck pain through this whole thing. Horrible pain that made me nauseous and gave me terrible head aches. I always thought it was a joint problem, so I never did any exercises because I thought it might make it worse. Until someone told me it could be muscle spasms or weakness that is causing the pain. Long story short.... as soon as I started exercising and strengthening the muscles in my neck the pain went away. Not saying this what you have.

Where does fibro come from? If we don't know what causes it do we know what causes the pain?

Closed Thread