It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Epstein Barr Virus (EBV) Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 02-28-2013, 06:55 AM   #1
(female)

sjs40 HB User
Question Has Anyone Had EBV & Hyperthyroidism?

This is the second time I got the virus. Only this time my lymph nodes in the neck have been hurting for a month. I asked my doctor last week to retest me for the virus and my thyroid.
Has anyone been or being treated for both the virus and hyperthyroid? I am going to an endocrinologist in 7 days and I would appreciate hearing about anyone else's experience.
I am concerned that the doctor won't look at my overall big picture. Like why was my system so week the virus came back? All last year I was lethargic and learned in Sept that I was iron deficient. So I finally built my system back up, and whammo! Now I am lethargic again.
Well, I am a 42 year old mom of 4. Thankfully this time around they are 4 years older, ranging from 9 to 18.
Well, off to nap. Thanks for reading!
Hugs to all my fellow sufferers Ooooooooooo

Old 04-14-2013, 09:05 PM   #2
(female)

Surfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB UserSurfing4answers HB User
Re: Has Anyone Had EBV & Hyperthyroidism?

I developed hashimotos/hypothyroid after the virus and it is a known cause of this. Hyperthyroid I am not sure about to be honest.
Have your TSH and also thyroid antibodies test done and read up on symptoms of both to see if it fits with your own. If TSH is high and antibodies present it is hashimotos, antibodies can also be detected for hyperthyroid and this is called graves.
Low iron and vit. d are common with thyroid issues also as is extreme fatigue but many symptoms cross over and even low iron can cause fatigue so keep those levels up

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-15-2013, 12:24 PM   #3
(female)

sjs40 HB User

Hello!
Thanks for taking the time to reply.
As it stands now, I have had the radioactive iodine uptake thyroid scan and retested with blood work. All is normal! Still sluggish, so I am taking supplements for immune & thyroid support so hopefully the virus won't get the upper hand again.
It helps that the weather is getting warmer here in PA.

Hope you feel better soon too!

Old 09-17-2013, 10:51 AM   #4
(female)

Janoid HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjs40 View Post
This is the second time I got the virus. Only this time my lymph nodes in the neck have been hurting for a month. I asked my doctor last week to retest me for the virus and my thyroid.
Has anyone been or being treated for both the virus and hyperthyroid? I am going to an endocrinologist in 7 days and I would appreciate hearing about anyone else's experience.
I am concerned that the doctor won't look at my overall big picture. Like why was my system so week the virus came back? All last year I was lethargic and learned in Sept that I was iron deficient. So I finally built my system back up, and whammo! Now I am lethargic again.
Well, I am a 42 year old mom of 4. Thankfully this time around they are 4 years older, ranging from 9 to 18.
Well, off to nap. Thanks for reading!
Hugs to all my fellow sufferers Ooooooooooo
Been searching all over trying to figure out if there was a link between EBV and Hyper/Hypo thyroidism.

I tested positive for EBV along with my son and daughter. My daughter and I also had our TSH levels off. Me being Hyper her being Hypo. We have all been sick for over a month now. Extremely exhausted, fatigue beyond belief. Finding an Endo doc is no easy task but we are both scheduled for appointments coming up. Seeing as you posted back in April. How are you doing now? I'm in Hopes symptoms have subsided!!! Any input would be greatly appreciated. I want to smash this thing! but really having trouble getting the help we need. Any advice will be greatly appreciated. thank you!

Old 09-17-2013, 07:24 PM   #5
(female)

sjs40 HB User

Janoid,
So sorry to hear that not only you have been affected, but your daughter as well.

For me, I would say my thyroid was abnormal for about 2 months. My heart rate was high, but not dangerously high, so there was really nothing I could do medically, except wait and give my body the best fighting chance. I was starting to get back to my old self in May. My neck hurt starting the first week of February, and the fatigue set in by the end of the month.
I see a nutritionist and I remember him saying that lysine is a virus buster. He had me taking mega doses. Lysine is an amino acid. They were 500mg tablets and I took 6 a day. 4 first thing in the morning. He said keep it n my nightstand with water.
Vitamin C complex and vitamin b complex are important too.. Only from a health store though. Supplements in supermarkets and drug stores are worthless.
I hope you can find someone who can help you with nutritional support. I was never happy with my endocrinologist because I wanted him to check my hormones because I still wasn't 100 percent. He dismissed me because my thyroid levels were fine.

So here we are, 5 moths later, and I am battling hormone issues that are now being addressed by a gynecologist. I believe they have been imbalanced beyond this year. That too contributes to fatigue.

Don't fight your fatigue. Monitor your heart rate.
This will come to an end!!! Be well
Try to keep in touch. HUGS

Old 09-18-2013, 06:46 AM   #6
(female)

Janoid HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sjs40 View Post
Janoid,
So sorry to hear that not only you have been affected, but your daughter as well.

For me, I would say my thyroid was abnormal for about 2 months. My heart rate was high, but not dangerously high, so there was really nothing I could do medically, except wait and give my body the best fighting chance. I was starting to get back to my old self in May. My neck hurt starting the first week of February, and the fatigue set in by the end of the month.
I see a nutritionist and I remember him saying that lysine is a virus buster. He had me taking mega doses. Lysine is an amino acid. They were 500mg tablets and I took 6 a day. 4 first thing in the morning. He said keep it n my nightstand with water.
Vitamin C complex and vitamin b complex are important too.. Only from a health store though. Supplements in supermarkets and drug stores are worthless.
I hope you can find someone who can help you with nutritional support. I was never happy with my endocrinologist because I wanted him to check my hormones because I still wasn't 100 percent. He dismissed me because my thyroid levels were fine.

So here we are, 5 moths later, and I am battling hormone issues that are now being addressed by a gynecologist. I believe they have been imbalanced beyond this year. That too contributes to fatigue.

Don't fight your fatigue. Monitor your heart rate.
This will come to an end!!! Be well
Try to keep in touch. HUGS
Thank you so much for your response Sjs! I am taking notes of those supplements and will read up on them. I take supplements already. My lifestyle was extremely active before this episoide with EBV and Thyroiditis. I worked out daily and worked a "Normal" Job. I have been on medical leave from work and unable to workout. Hoping this all resolves sooner then later!!! I hope your hormone issues are sorted out soon. I know they can be havoc on your body. Please stay healthy am grateful for your response.

Reply Reply