It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Estroven Question & Answer Board Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-30-2013, 12:09 PM   #1
(female)

hate2bhot23 HB User
Smile Hot flashes/night sweats - CAN'T SLEEP

Hi ladies. I am 6 weeks shy of turning 50. I'm not sure where abouts I am in this crazy peri-menopause ride. I had been taking birth control pills for the last 8 months due to heavy periods. I decided to go off to see where my cycles are. I spotted a few days and haven't had anything since - it's been 3 weeks and I'm holding my breath. But I can't take the sleepless nights anymore! I haven't had a good night's sleep in at least 3 months. Either the hot flashes wake me up or a mild night sweat. Sometimes I can't go back to sleep for an hour or two. I have to get up a 6AM for work and these episodes usually have me up from 2 or 3AM to 4 or 5AM. I'm taking Estroven but it doesn't seem to be working. I have a tube of Pro-Gest progesterone cream but haven't used it yet because I'm nervous about side effects. Does anyone have any natural remedies for these darned hot flashes and getting better sleep? I already eat fairly well and exercise regularly. Thanks!

Old 01-30-2013, 01:42 PM   #2
(female)

purplesushi HB Userpurplesushi HB User
Re: Hot flashes/night sweats - CAN'T SLEEP

OMG - I am going through the same thing. I turn 50 in July, and have been having these blasted hot flashes for almost a year, although they have been coming and going in 'cycles'. I'll have them for a couple of weeks or so and then they'll be gone for a couple of months. Well this "cycle" has been going since the beginning of this month ((happy freaking new year...)) and they are the worst they have ever been. During the night, my eyes pop WIDE OPEN a few seconds before a hot flash comes on - I can't explain the feeling - it's almost like there's a surge of anxiety or something?? Then the flash hits, and then I'm chilled and then it takes me a good 1/2 hour before I can get back to sleep again...only to be woken up AGAIN with all of the above. This week I started taking black cohosh supplements - just that herb - not a combination of stuff like you are taking. I have noticed that the number of hot flashes has decreased during the day (they were coming on at least once an hour, sometimes 2 and 3 times...now it's one every couple of hours or so). I have also been sleeping a little better - I "only" get one or two a night now. I am hoping that by continuing the black cohosh that they will continue to decrease further and further. I seriously can NOT stand this stage and can't wait for it to be GONE. I jokingly told my daughter that now I understand why most women my age have short hair...the hot flashes make longer hair almost impossible to bear. I wish I had more advice for you...but if the Estroven isn't working, give just plain black cohosh a try? It's super cheap - less than 4 bucks a bottle at wal-mart.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-30-2013, 04:52 PM   #3
(female)

jojopooh HB Userjojopooh HB Userjojopooh HB Userjojopooh HB Userjojopooh HB Userjojopooh HB User
Wink Re: Hot flashes/night sweats - CAN'T SLEEP

hi ladies. I take black cohosh (found in a natural store), I have been taking it for 3 months now. I went from having multiple hot flashes and night sweats to having none at all. Hope this helps.

Old 01-30-2013, 04:55 PM   #4
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojopooh View Post
hi ladies. I take black cohosh (found in a natural store), I have been taking it for 3 months now. I went from having multiple hot flashes and night sweats to having none at all. Hope this helps.

Jojopooh - how long did it take for your symptoms to go away completely? I've only been on it for less than a week, so I realize it's probably going to take time, but just curious where the end zone is...haha!

Old 01-30-2013, 05:00 PM   #5
(female)

jojopooh HB Userjojopooh HB Userjojopooh HB Userjojopooh HB Userjojopooh HB Userjojopooh HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by purplesushi View Post
Jojopooh - how long did it take for your symptoms to go away completely? I've only been on it for less than a week, so I realize it's probably going to take time, but just curious where the end zone is...haha!
It only took 3 to 4 days for the black cohosh to work. Have you seen any results purplesushi?

Old 01-30-2013, 05:49 PM   #6
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojopooh View Post
It only took 3 to 4 days for the black cohosh to work. Have you seen any results purplesushi?

I have noticed a reduction in the number and in their intensity (somewhat), but they aren't gone completely (I WISH!). I consider it a "good night's sleep" when I am only woken up a couple of times compared to every hour or more like I had been. I'm just going to keep taking it & hopefully they will just keep reducing until they're gone!

Old 01-30-2013, 05:51 PM   #7
(female)

BTW - I'm taking 1 capsule 3 times a day as directed on the bottle. My gyno told me 200 mg twice a day, so I'm actually taking more than that for now - I figure when the symptoms are gone I'll take it twice a day & see what happens (sometimes I forget to take it during the day, but definitely take it morning & before bedtime otherwise)

Old 01-31-2013, 04:16 AM   #8
(female)

Quote:
BTW - I'm taking 1 capsule 3 times a day as directed on the bottle. My gyno told me 200 mg twice a day, so I'm actually taking more than that for now - I figure when the symptoms are gone I'll take it twice a day & see what happens (sometimes I forget to take it during the day, but definitely take it morning & before bedtime otherwise)
I would have anywhere between 6 and 7 hot flashes (mostly in the evenings), and about 4 to 5 night sweats that would wake me up. Since I didn't seem to have as many as you maybe that's why the black cohosh worked faster. I no longer have "slow amber flashes" either. I take 2 capsules a day, morning and evening, If I forget to take one I'll get a few mild hot flashes. It has been so nice sleeping through the night, easier to get up and go to work.

Old 01-31-2013, 08:20 AM   #9
(female)

hate2bhot23 HB User

Thanks for your input ladies. The Estroven actually has 80mg of Black Cohosh. Not sure if there's a difference if you take it on it's own. I've also read that you shouldn't take Black Cohosh for more than 6 months. Last night was another restless night waking up 3 times being unbearably HOT! I am exhausted this morning and feel quite foggy. Not fun.

Has anyone tried Calcium at night? Magnesium? Fish Oil? I read somewhere these supplements might help.

Whoever says to "embrace" menopause has never gone through it!

Old 01-31-2013, 09:41 AM   #10
(female)

@hate2bhot23 - My gynecologist didn't say there was a limit to how long to take it. It sounds as if there's not enough black cohosh in the Estroven to provide you with much relief. The supplement I have is by Spring Valley - it's called "Black Cohosh Extract" and has a total of 175 mg (nearly double what is in Estroven) - The bottle was $3.94 at WalMart, and has 100 capsules. The directions on the bottle say to take 1 capsule, 3x day. I would add at least 1 capsule to your day (maybe the night time dose?) & see if that gives you anymore relief. I haven't added anymore supplements yet...just remembering to take the BC is bad enough..haha!

@jojopooh - what's a "slow amber flash"?? I've never heard that term before.

Old 01-31-2013, 04:30 PM   #11
(female)

purplesushi. sorry purplesushi, I meant slow Ember flash. A slow ember flash is a different version of a hot flash. A slow ember flash is like having a low grade fever, skin is warm to the touch, but no fever, that lasts at least an hour or more. The first few times I had them I took my temperature thinking I had a fever (coming down with something) but it registered normal on the thermometer. They can last anywhere from an hour to hours at a time. My doctor explained it to me (I have a wonderful OBGYN). You can be warm just on your face or, face and torso. One more thing to add to the long list of why we are so crabby sometimes. hahaha!!

Last edited by jojopooh; 01-31-2013 at 04:35 PM.

Old 01-31-2013, 04:50 PM   #12
(female)

Aaaah - that makes sense. You know - there are periods throughout the day where I just feel "weird" - I can't explain it any other way. It's not quite anxiety, it's not quite flu-like...it's just an ODD feeling, and I've noticed it happens right before a hot flash - almost like a warning that one is coming on. When this happens at night, my eyes pop open like I heard a noise in the house - almost like you're scared awake. Does this make sense? At any rate, I HATE IT. I now know why the stereotype of menopausal women always being moody and bursting into tears at the drop of a hat exists - it's these ****** hot flashes that are making us miserable!! LOL!

Old 01-31-2013, 06:08 PM   #13
(female)

Quote:
Aaaah - that makes sense. You know - there are periods throughout the day where I just feel "weird" - I can't explain it any other way. It's not quite anxiety, it's not quite flu-like...it's just an ODD feeling, and I've noticed it happens right before a hot flash - almost like a warning that one is coming on. When this happens at night, my eyes pop open like I heard a noise in the house - almost like you're scared awake. Does this make sense? At any rate, I HATE IT. I now know why the stereotype of menopausal women always being moody and bursting into tears at the drop of a hat exists - it's these ****** hot flashes that are making us miserable!! LOL!
thank-you for mentioning the eyes popping open from hearing a noise. I get that every few nights also but I just know that there was no noise. It is an odd feeling and I will be slightly warm and shaky for a few moments as if I were scared. Makes total sense to me.

Old 02-05-2013, 01:35 PM   #14
(female)

omc1234 HB User

I'm going to chime in here on this lovely conversation. I hate menopause. I started going through perimenopause @ 38. Totally through me for a loop. I felt like a train wreck. Severe fatigue, terrible anger, frequent periods, night sweats you name it, i had it. I was absolutely miserable. I am know 46 and period free for two years. Still have the night sweats which is really getting on my nerves though. I think i will give black cohosh a try. It seems like at this stage in the game you can look at food and gain five pounds. I would give anything for a good night sleep and boundless amounts of energy.

Last edited by omc1234; 02-05-2013 at 01:36 PM.

Old 02-05-2013, 02:47 PM   #15
(female)

Quote:
Originally Posted by omc1234 View Post
I'm going to chime in here on this lovely conversation. I hate menopause. I started going through perimenopause @ 38. Totally through me for a loop. I felt like a train wreck. Severe fatigue, terrible anger, frequent periods, night sweats you name it, i had it. I was absolutely miserable. I am know 46 and period free for two years. Still have the night sweats which is really getting on my nerves though. I think i will give black cohosh a try. It seems like at this stage in the game you can look at food and gain five pounds. I would give anything for a good night sleep and boundless amounts of energy.
omc1234. I started peri at 42. I'm now 50 and I think the worst is over (I hope). It's been a miserable 8 years. Felt like I was hit by a mack truck. It has been much better since taking black cihosh. A lot of our fatigue is due to lack of sleep from night sweats. I'm not back to my old self, probably never will be, but the new me isn't so bad.

Reply Reply