It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Estroven Question & Answer Board Message Board
Post New Thread   Reply Reply
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-03-2013, 06:53 PM   #1
Veteran
(female)

CrazyLife414 HB UserCrazyLife414 HB UserCrazyLife414 HB User
HELP! menopause has kidnapped the real me!

This whole menopause thing has knocked me for a loop! Every time I think that I am getting a hold on it and actually starting to feel better something else happens!
I completely feel as though this process has stolen my joy! I remember when I first started reading about menopause and how some women welcome it as a milestone, a positive life event.. I was determined to do the same! I mean I had never ever had any trouble with my periods. Never missed a day of work or had more than a minor cramp. It was going to be great...No more periods, did not have to worry about getting pregnant.. I was sure that there would be a certain rush of freedom!

Well I am here to tell you that I was WRONG!! No matter how hard I try I am not finding anything to be happy about. My anxiety is out of control, my periods come and go as they please ( with varying length and flow). I have every ache and pain known to man along with stomach and IBS symptoms. Some days all I want to do is lay in bed and cry, but I teach school so I have to keep it together for all my little folks. I have PMS and sometimes it comes with a period and sometimes it doesn't..

My FSH shows that I am menopausal, but my estrogen is high (but within "normal" limits) and my Progesterone is low but also within limits...Really????

My doctor sent me to a compounding pharmacist and at first I thought it was helping a little. I was so excited! But I have now been doing this for 9 weeks and honestly there has been very little change.

The only thing I did not do was the progesterone cream because every time I would start using the cream within a week my period would start.

I can't do birth control or HRT...My body just doesn't do well with them, plus that would make it far too easy..Right?

Thank you for letting me spout!! My frustration level is to the moon and back and I am so tired and cranky that I could scream!
Suggestions and advice are always welcome!!
b

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-04-2013, 05:11 AM   #2
(female)

jojopooh HB Userjojopooh HB Userjojopooh HB Userjojopooh HB Userjojopooh HB Userjojopooh HB User
Wink Re: HELP! menopause has kidnapped the real me!

Hi Crazylife414. Menopause is a slap in the face, isn't it. I, like you, had reg. periods, bit of cramping. Life was good, I was rarely sick, even rarely got colds. I was looking forward to the day my periods would stop. Big mistake on my part, what was I thinking. Hot flashes, cold flashes, anxiety, achy sore muscles, brain fog, indigestion, bloating, allergies, and the list goes on. I've been to my doctor so many times I lost count. For the bloating and indigestion, a few weeks ago someone suggested to me to cut gluten out of my diet, still was bloated. So I decided to cut Dairy out, well, bloating went down, no longer had indigestion or gas or burping. My allergies even cleared up. I did a test last night and ate dairy for supper, milk, cheese on my pasta and oka cheese with that. Well, bloated up, stuffy nose came back, sneezing, itchy, watery eyes. I also had not had a hot flash when I eliminated the dairy, last night, My hot flashes were back with a vengeance. This is just a suggestion, maybe food intolerance, which is very common with menopause, is causing your indigestion. I do know HRT can take months before you have the right dosage of progesterone and estrogen, it is a balancing act. Hang in there, it does get better.

Old 04-05-2013, 02:37 PM   #3
(female)

Iminmisery HB User
Re: HELP! menopause has kidnapped the real me!

Hi! I'm a newcomer. It's so comforting to know that someone is going through the exact same things as I am. It seems it has crept up slowly and suddenly has pounced on me with a vengeance. I'm so miserable right now I can barely write this. I have had headaches every day for five months, today is the worst day yet. Tell me does it get worse before it gets better because I think I've hit rock bottom. Does ground flax help anyone. I've been putting some on my cereal every morning. Could it be making my symptoms worse. It's supposed to have natural estrogen or do I need less estrogen? The hot flashes and night sweats are crazy in the last few weeks. I'm going to be 52 in a few days, could this be the end? Help! I'm desperate!

Old 04-05-2013, 05:58 PM   #4
Veteran
(female)

sweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB User

Menopause absolutely SUCKS!

Over the counter Estroven helped me a bit. HRT helped an enormous amount but I went off it after six weeks due to reports of women getting aggressive forms of breast cancer from it. Black cohosh (which is also in Estroven) helped a bit. A fan at my desk at work helps. Changing out of wet pajamas helps (but not for long, lol). Dressing in layers is a good idea. But basically, there's just no escaping it. Those fancy cotton wicking clothes are nonsense (in my opinion).
I am four and a half years into menopause and am just now feeling a lot better. I still have some hot flashes, but the quantity and magnitude of them has gone down. I am also sleeping better which has been an absolute joy.
I hope that you can hang in there, because there is life at the other end!!
P.S. I will be 53 in a few months.

Last edited by sweetpotato13; 04-05-2013 at 05:59 PM.

The following user gives a hug of support to sweetpotato13:
CrazyLife414 (04-09-2013)
Old 04-05-2013, 07:12 PM   #5
(female)

Iminmisery HB User

I'm terrified of hrt, I know a few women who did get breast cancer from them. Someone had told me ground flax seed can do wonders but I haven't noticed any improvement. It has actually gotten worse but that could be just the stage I'm in. Maybe I need more. I wish I knew more about it. The night sweats are the worst, last night I whipped off my pjs in the middle of the night, never been one to sleep in the nude. My husband was happy but due to my loss of libido that was going nowhere. Glad to know there is a light at the end of the tunnel. Yes, menopause does suck! Half the time you think yoou have some horrible disease. Oh, nope just another menopause symptom!

Old 04-07-2013, 05:54 AM   #6
Veteran
(female)

sweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB Usersweetpotato13 HB User

Just a subtle suggestion to you.... all because you "don't feel like" having sex doesn't mean that you shouldn't. I think that our menopause steals something from our husband's too, and it would be good to keep his needs in mind. I find that once we get started, in between the hot flashes, the sex is still good and worthwhile to maintain those intimate feelings.

Old 04-09-2013, 11:43 AM   #7
Veteran
(female)

CrazyLife414 HB UserCrazyLife414 HB UserCrazyLife414 HB User

Do any of you ever get a feeling of light headedness? I really don't feel light headed, just off balance and loopy? The feeling always seems to come with a fidgety anxiety...
I know it is hormone fluctuations, but WOW, it is bothersome!!

b

Old 04-22-2013, 05:30 PM   #8
(female)

Mercy Texas HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrazyLife414 View Post
Do any of you ever get a feeling of light headedness? I really don't feel light headed, just off balance and loopy? The feeling always seems to come with a fidgety anxiety...
I know it is hormone fluctuations, but WOW, it is bothersome!!

b
Oh, yes. For some reason it is worse when I am in the shower. I have almost fallen twice now.

I think menopause is evil! LOL!

Old 04-22-2013, 05:53 PM   #9
Facilitator
(female)

Titchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB UserTitchou HB User

I've been on HRT for 10 years. Am 67 now. My sister, 66 years old, has been on it for over 35 years due to a hysterectomy. We were both on birth control prior. HRT has been great for both of us. And no problems on our mammograms or paps which we both get annually. There are no instances of female cancers of any kind in our family out to cousins and aunts and great aunts. Just my side of it.

Old 04-23-2013, 09:35 AM   #10
(female)

Hodge64 HB UserHodge64 HB UserHodge64 HB User

I started getting these feelings four years ago. I felt kind of out of it, off balance, a little bit drunk. My phsyciatrist said it was anxiety attacks and I believed her as my anxiety was through the roof all of a sudden. I know now that the raging hormones were causing it. I tried four different antidepressants to find the right ones (Mirtazapine and Trazadone) and now I don't have the anxiety attacks anymore. It was a very difficult time for me as I never had any problems with anxiety before this. I have also started a very low dose of HRT as I still have anxiety( but no attacks) and have daily cramping. The only days of my cycle when I don't have cramping are the days around ovulation. I'm also scheduled for an ultrasound to investigate the cramping. The Hrt seems to stop the cramping for a few hours, so I'm hopefull that it will help the anxiety as well. It was a hard decision to try HRT as my sister had breast cancer so there are increased risks for me, but after four years I'm tired of waiting for this to be over. Also, because I'm extremely sensitive to hormones, I had to split the dose of HRT and take half in the morning and half at night. The full dose(.3 premarin and 2.5 progesterone) gave me anxiety attacks. Now that I've gotten used to this dose, I'm going to ask if I can add another half dose in the afternoon. I think that's what will work for me-small doses spaced throughout the day. Before the HRT I was taking progesterone cream when the estrogen was high and evening primrose oil when the progesterone was high. This helped some but I still felt like crap. If you google "weird head feelings and menopause" lots of info comes up about women experiencing these same feelings. T

Old 05-05-2013, 06:06 PM   #11
(female)

mommyfix HB User
Angry Re: HELP! menopause has kidnapped the real me!

Crazy Life414...I had a bout of lightheadedness last week at work. I was standing at my desk and had to hold on cause I wasn't sure if I would stay standing. It has happened a couple of times lately but I know the reason so it's not really concerning to me. I didn't have the anxiety along with it though. That must have been horrible. I am 56 and have been having symptoms for over a year. Sounds like there are alot more to come though.

Old 05-10-2013, 02:38 PM   #12
(female)

Tgram HB User

Hi CrazyLife...I'm in Mesa too.

My ob/gyn told me....and everything I've read about it says that once you have gone 1 full year without a period, then you have reached menopause.

The 10 years or so before menopuase is peri-menopause and that's when most women have all their symptoms. Although, some continue to have some after menopause.

I am nearing menopause (Wooohooo! Peri-menopause has been a wild ride!) I've had so many symptoms.

Until I started researching peri-menopause....I thought I was losing my mind! The mood swings were severe, I almost killed my vacuum one day! Fatigue, headaches, dizziness, high blood pressure, memory/concentration problems, insomnia, etc, etc, etc. Too many to list here.

My doc put me on Prozac for the mood swings. I haven't hurt a vacuum since. I also don't chase cars that cut me off in traffic anymore! LOL I feel more like the old me.

I had days where I just wanted to curl into a ball and cry all day. Got some Trazadone for the insomnia and I'm feeling so much better.

Reply Reply