It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 01-08-2004, 03:41 PM   #1

NightStrike HB User
Is walking considered cardio

Hereís my work out routine. I weight train 3 days a week, and do cardio 4 days a week, I do cardio the days I donít do weight training. I go for about 45 mins to an hour of intense cardio (80% of my max heart rate). Then after I like to just go on the treadmill for another hour. I know that too much cardio can be bad for you but I want to burn off as many calories as I can. So is that light walking for an hour going to hurt me or not. Thanks for any info

Last edited by NightStrike; 01-08-2004 at 03:51 PM.

Old 01-08-2004, 05:45 PM   #2

Alias HB User
Re: Is walking considered cardio

Yes it is considred Cardio because it is movement, you will probably not burn as much calories as running, but it is safer because of the low impact on your heels and legs.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 01-09-2004, 02:11 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hitmen HB User

if you want a boost in calorie burning, walk with an incline.

Old 01-09-2004, 04:04 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Rick7799 HB User

I thought it wasn't considered cardio until you got your hear rate in your target zone which is 65% to 85% of your maximum. I do intense workouts on my lifecycle in that range for up to an hour a day. I also like to walk at a fast pace and my heart rate will be only 90 to 100. In other words it is much easier to walk and I don't think that would hurt you one bit.

Old 01-10-2004, 06:15 AM   #5

trnurbdy48 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by NightStrike
Hereís my work out routine. I weight train 3 days a week, and do cardio 4 days a week, I do cardio the days I donít do weight training. I go for about 45 mins to an hour of intense cardio (80% of my max heart rate). Then after I like to just go on the treadmill for another hour. I know that too much cardio can be bad for you but I want to burn off as many calories as I can. So is that light walking for an hour going to hurt me or not. Thanks for any info

I'm not quite clear with your question. Do you want to add walking to your existing routine? The regime you've outlined is more than enough. Instead of overtraining, reduce your calories. Or, substitue a brisk walk with either leg weights or dumbells for one treadmill session. They key to keeping your metabolism functioning at peak is to change routines periodically and eating correctly. Do you lift to failure? Do you change your routines?

Old 01-10-2004, 06:42 AM   #6

NightStrike HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by trnurbdy48
I'm not quite clear with your question. Do you want to add walking to your existing routine? The regime you've outlined is more than enough. Instead of overtraining, reduce your calories. Or, substitue a brisk walk with either leg weights or dumbells for one treadmill session. They key to keeping your metabolism functioning at peak is to change routines periodically and eating correctly. Do you lift to failure? Do you change your routines?
No, im already walking after I spend 45 mins on a stair master, elliptical, or bike. I switch it up every few weeks. My question wasÖ is the walking at the end of my intense cardio going to hurt me, because too much cardio can be bad for you. I just think itís an easy way to burn off another 320 to 400 calories.

Also thanks for your replys guys, it helped out!

Old 01-10-2004, 07:11 AM   #7

painjunkie HB User

Good work putting in this effort.

At 80% of your max heart rate, you are at top end of aerobic (cardio) and bordering on anaerobic threshold.

Its not so much the equipment or the exercise routine that you use. But the type of muscle fibre you are exercising, which dictates whether you are doing cardio (slow twitch=cardio=aerobic, fast twitch=strength=anaerobic). Any muscle consists of both kinds (say 60%:40% ratio of slow:fast twitch)

Tho, there is the consideration that you would be training the slow twitch(cardio) muscle fibres for endurance and strength when you go at that high an intensity and length of time.

The good thing is that this intensity is putting your metabolic rate to a high level (for longer), so more calories would be being burnt.

You are probably going at that intensity levels to increase weight loss and decrease any lean tissue loss (from cardio). If you are "feeling the burn" or getting fatigued, then you probably are at the anaerobic threshold level. Which also means less chance of muscle mass loss.

Sometimes, because slow twitch fibres are less bulky, cardio training increases the proportion of slow to fast muscle fibres in a muscle, giving the impression of loss of lean body tissue. Along with loss of strength adding to that impression. It's not necessarily bad, just that your body is trying to better able you to meet needs. Looking at how you've covered you're bases (cardio and weights), I suspect you're aware of this.

At this point, try high intensity interval training ( HIIT). Assuming you are going for weight loss.

HIIT involves exercising at high intensity for a period (close to anaerobic threshold), followed by an interval or break (down to resting or warmup pace), then go back to high intensity. Do this for 15 to 20 min.

This is very good at ensuring calorie(fat) burning (many times better), as well as cutting your cardio times in half (HIIT shouldnt really be done for more than 20 min). You could continue/supplement with walking here as an extended warm down and to increase the calorie loss.

Search the web, for HIIT and heart rate training zones, for more information.

Depending on your actual exercise reasons, HIIT might be a smarter way to train for your goals. However you work it, good luck reaching them.

Last edited by painjunkie; 01-10-2004 at 09:49 AM.

Closed Thread