It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2004, 08:52 AM   #1

Ibis HB User
Exercise when you feel a cold coming on???

I have always wondered if I should work out when I am starting to feel sick. I usually do 30 minutes cardo and some machines daily. Does it help or harm to exercise? Any suggestions?
Thanks

Old 03-25-2004, 10:04 AM   #2

Straightsailor HB User
Re: Exercise when you feel a cold coming on???

Personaly I never do it... I figure if my body is having trouble fighting off a virus, why give it more work healing my muscles and enduring the strain of excercise... Plus I can NEVER get a good workout when I'm not feeling %101 healthy... Hope that helped

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-25-2004, 01:54 PM   #3

never2L8 HB User

If it is just a bit of a head cold I don't let it stop me doing a weights workout, I will just take it easy on the cardio. If it lasts for more than a couple of days I will then take a break to get over it. If it is more than a head cold or I have a fever, I definitely won't work out. BTW, I am an asthmatic and suffer from hayfever, so if I stopped working out every time I felt a bit under the weather I would never get to the gym.

Old 03-25-2004, 02:00 PM   #4

Ibis HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by never2L8
If it is just a bit of a head cold I don't let it stop me doing a weights workout, I will just take it easy on the cardio. If it lasts for more than a couple of days I will then take a break to get over it. If it is more than a head cold or I have a fever, I definitely won't work out. BTW, I am an asthmatic and suffer from hayfever, so if I stopped working out every time I felt a bit under the weather I would never get to the gym.

Thanks, I think I am startinga fever. I usually do 30 minutes of an ellepital(SP?) at resistance 9, then some other machines and leg lifts with weights. Maybe I will go to bed today instead!

Thanks,
I

Old 03-25-2004, 02:12 PM   #5
Senior Veteran

Evl316 HB User

Best advice is simply to listen to you body. I've gotten some great workouts in when I wasn't feeling very good but then there is a point at which a person really needs the rest and shouldn't work out. Just gotta listen to your body and know your body. I think most would agree though if you have a fever take it easy and rest. Besides that if you were healthy you'd probably rather the sick people keep the germs out of the gym rather than huffing and puffing their diseased bacteria all over you. Pretty picture, eh? I'm being overly dramitic but the point is you may also want to consider other people's health when going to the gym when sick.

Old 03-25-2004, 02:26 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(male)

Rick7799 HB User

I have always gone by, if it's just a head cold, go for it but if you have a fever then do not workout.

Old 03-26-2004, 08:14 AM   #7

Ibis HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rick7799
I have always gone by, if it's just a head cold, go for it but if you have a fever then do not workout.

Thanks for the information. I now have a sore throat and a fever, Am going home to bed!!

Closed Thread