It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 03-25-2004, 07:01 PM   #1
(male)

stickman HB User
How should I group muscle parts when weight lifting?

If I weight lift 3 times a week, what body parts should I group? Should I do chest/tries on Monday, back/bies on Weds and legs/shoulders on Friday? What about doing "push" exercises (chest, shoulders, tries) on Mon and Thurs, and "pull" exercises (legs, back, bies) on Tues and Fri? Is this too much? I've been doing about 5 exercises (mixing all body parts) 3 days a week (about 3-4 sets per exercise, mostly compound-type), but am having bad results. I'm tired instead of sore and feel nervous/shakey (overtrain signs?). I know that doing compounds exercise more than one muscles group, that's why I want to find out when to exercise certain muscle groups and when to rest them.

Old 03-26-2004, 02:28 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Endorphin Junky HB User
Re: How should I group muscle parts when weight lifting?

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickman
If I weight lift 3 times a week, what body parts should I group? Should I do chest/tries on Monday, back/bies on Weds and legs/shoulders on Friday? What about doing "push" exercises (chest, shoulders, tries) on Mon and Thurs, and "pull" exercises (legs, back, bies) on Tues and Fri? Is this too much? I've been doing about 5 exercises (mixing all body parts) 3 days a week (about 3-4 sets per exercise, mostly compound-type), but am having bad results. I'm tired instead of sore and feel nervous/shakey (overtrain signs?). I know that doing compounds exercise more than one muscles group, that's why I want to find out when to exercise certain muscle groups and when to rest them.

If you're new to lifting, a full body workout using compound exercises will give you the best results. You say you're doing this already though, so try posting your workout plan and someone can have a look at it and see if you're going wrong somewhere. If you're not getting results and you're feeling drained, its more likely that you're not eating properly than it being anything to do with your lifting program, so maybe post your diet up too.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 03-26-2004, 06:37 PM   #3
(male)

stickman HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Endorphin Junky
If you're new to lifting, a full body workout using compound exercises will give you the best results. You say you're doing this already though, so try posting your workout plan and someone can have a look at it and see if you're going wrong somewhere. If you're not getting results and you're feeling drained, its more likely that you're not eating properly than it being anything to do with your lifting program, so maybe post your diet up too.
I've been working out for about six months, I just can't find a routine. I started doing the full body workout about a month or so ago. Before that, I was doing 2 body parts per workout session, 3 sessions per week. With the full body, this is what I've been doing:

Bench press 3x10
Bent over rows 3x10
Shoulder press 3x10
Barbell curls 3x10
Close bench press 3x10
Squats 3x10

For a time I was doing 4 sets, and recently I've been doing 3 sets x8 reps. Before doing the full body workouts, I didn't seem to have a problem with fatigue. But working each muscle group once per week, I didn't feel I was doing enough. Then I switched to full body (as a sort of staring over) after checking out several sites that gave this as a good workout for beginners. But now I feel like I'm over doing it.

Old 03-26-2004, 07:27 PM   #4

Alias HB User

Here is a good routine

Mon-chest/back/abs
wed-legs
Fri-bi's, tri's, shoulders, abs

most people would also train abs on wed, but i notice when I trained my legs and abs on the same day I didn't get my pump as well, then I realized I was moving the blood in my muscles into two totally different parts of my body. I didn't get the full effect.

Old 03-27-2004, 01:18 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(male)

Endorphin Junky HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by stickman
I've been working out for about six months, I just can't find a routine. I started doing the full body workout about a month or so ago. Before that, I was doing 2 body parts per workout session, 3 sessions per week. With the full body, this is what I've been doing:

Bench press 3x10
Bent over rows 3x10
Shoulder press 3x10
Barbell curls 3x10
Close bench press 3x10
Squats 3x10

For a time I was doing 4 sets, and recently I've been doing 3 sets x8 reps. Before doing the full body workouts, I didn't seem to have a problem with fatigue. But working each muscle group once per week, I didn't feel I was doing enough. Then I switched to full body (as a sort of staring over) after checking out several sites that gave this as a good workout for beginners. But now I feel like I'm over doing it.

What does your diet look like?

Closed Thread