It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-01-2004, 09:13 AM   #1
(female)

CAIJ HB User
Need Help with Fat Above Knees and Cottage Cheesy look on front of legs

Can anyone tell me what exercise will get rid of the fat above the kneecap and to the inside of the kneecap? Also I need help getting rid of the "Cottage Cheesy" look on the fronts of the legs. I have been doing lots of walking videos etc and it doesn't seem to be improving?

Old 04-01-2004, 09:45 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User
Re: Need Help with Fat Above Knees and Cottage Cheesy look on front of legs

Except for liposuction, there is no such thing as spot reduction - losing fat in just one place. Anyone or anything claiming otherwise is just out for your money. Fat loss has to happen all over and is all about DIET and CARDIO. Resistance training is important to increase lean muscle which will increase metabolism, but you MUST have your diet/calories in check and you MUST do some sort of exercising that keeps your heart rate up for at LEAST 20-30 minutes at a time. Walking is ok if you are just starting to get fit or have some medical condition prohibiting you from higher intensities, but you want to keep heart rate *up* so higher intensity is recommended.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-01-2004, 02:09 PM   #3
(female)

snwflkcty HB User

Try this. Get on your knees, put your arms out in front of you and sway your torso backwards, hold it there, then bring yourself back up. Do it a few times, you'll feel it work the fronts of your legs. It might help

Old 04-01-2004, 04:07 PM   #4
(female)

vcgyrl HB User

Walking, running, step aerobics, rope jumping , sprints,dancing, eliptical machine, stair cimbing, wall climbing. swimming. And it is very important to strecth after every workout to avoid injury and soreness the next day, "in order to continue without delay."

Old 04-01-2004, 06:03 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

rita HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by vcgyrl
Walking, running, step aerobics, rope jumping , sprints,dancing, eliptical machine, stair cimbing, wall climbing. swimming. And it is very important to strecth after every workout to avoid injury and soreness the next day, "in order to continue without delay."
None of those will do much about getting rid of fat in any particular area, no matter how hard you exercise. It will only help build up the muscle. To get rid of fat you HAVE TO have a diet low enough in calories to create a daily calorie deficit for your body. In other words, eat LESS than what you need to maintain your current weight. Add cardio and weight training but diet is still the key to any fat loss. There are no shortcuts to this except, as Naxis mentioned, liposuction.

Old 04-01-2004, 11:24 PM   #6

stoweq HB User

I agree with Rita and Naxis.
I exercise alot and still have fat knees and cellulite.
Part of it is genetic since I've always had big legs, but my diet is not particularly good so that doesn't help.
Diet is the key much as it pains me to say.

Old 04-02-2004, 05:10 AM   #7
(female)

CAIJ HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by snwflkcty
Try this. Get on your knees, put your arms out in front of you and sway your torso backwards, hold it there, then bring yourself back up. Do it a few times, you'll feel it work the fronts of your legs. It might help
Thank you snwflkcty. That is the kind of answer I was looking for...a specific exercise which would target that area. I am already on Weight Watchers so the diet issue is being addressed so the answers telling me to watch what I eat were not what I was looking for. I just need exercises targeted to that knee area and the cottage cheese look. I will add your exercise to my regimen. Thank you

Old 04-02-2004, 06:34 AM   #8
(female)

vcgyrl HB User

I think it is funny that I had the same probelem with fat on my knees and I could not stand it, I now have the most stunning legs you have ever seen, it took time to get rid of the fat, but its gone, the key is to be consistant with the exercises, and strecthing afterwards in order to stay consistant. your body drops fat allover when doing these exercises, I took all kinds of fittness classes, so I think I know what I,m talking about. And like I said I have the legs to prove it.

Old 04-02-2004, 06:52 AM   #9
(female)

vcgyrl HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by snwflkcty
That is and excellent stretch to do after you do some of your cardio, I do that one as a stretch, before I got rid of the fat I had on my knees, I could not even stay on my knees long enough to do that stretch, I could not even stoop down, (I mean all the way down with back straight) now I have regained the strength and definition along with the flexibility. So what do you think about that.

Old 04-02-2004, 06:53 AM   #10
(female)

CAIJ HB User

Quote:
I think it is funny that I had the same probelem with fat on my knees and I could not stand it, I now have the most stunning legs you have ever seen, it took time to get rid of the fat, but its gone, the key is to be consistant with the exercises, and strecthing afterwards in order to stay consistant. your body drops fat allover when doing these exercises, I took all kinds of fittness classes, so I think I know what I,m talking about. And like I said I have the legs to prove it.
Vcgyrl, Thanks for your response it gives me hope. But what kind of exercise were you doing. I am doing Leslie Sansone "Walk Away the Pounds with weights" and I have been thinking of trying the firm with the step up box. What did you do that you believe got rid of the fat above your knees and gave you your stunning legs. I really could use your input since you sound like you know what you are talking about and you had my problem and conquered it. Please respond. Thank you

Old 04-02-2004, 07:19 AM   #11
(female)

vcgyrl HB User

I just stayed consistant with my workouts I did swimming, step classes, I got bored with walking, but if you are walking keep it up, and don,t look for immediate results because that can lead to discouragement, you have to be patient, but if you look at ruuners legs you will not see fat there, though running is a vey high impact excercise, if you are not a runner yet, you can do any of the excercises I mentioned above, "in the previos post", I reccomend you stay with your walking, as long as you enjoy it, it is a very good low impact excercise, I would do some cardio two or three times a day and still do, I do swiiming in the morning, then I do step in the evening, I really enjoy my workouts, so it is important to find the workouts you really enjoy, I noticed my fat going, going, going, gone.

Old 04-02-2004, 07:30 AM   #12
(female)

CAIJ HB User

Quote:
I just stayed consistant with my workouts I did swimming, step classes, I got bored with walking, but if you are walking keep it up, and don,t look for immediate results because that can lead to discouragement, you have to be patient, but if you look at ruuners legs you will not see fat there, though running is a vey high impact excercise, if you are not a runner yet, you can do any of the excercises I mentioned above, "in the previos post", I reccomend you stay with your walking, as long as you enjoy it, it is a very good low impact excercise, I would do some cardio two or three times a day and still do, I do swiiming in the morning, then I do step in the evening, I really enjoy my workouts, so it is important to find the workouts you really enjoy, I noticed my fat going, going, going, gone.
Thank you for the input. I do enjoy the walking tapes so like you said it is best to do something you enjoy so you continue doing it. I do not have access to swimming nor would I want to do that but I may try the step tapes. I just wondered if there were specific exercises (like the one the other girl suggested) that would target the fat above the knees and to the insides of the knees that I could add to my workouts??

Old 04-02-2004, 08:07 AM   #13
(female)

vcgyrl HB User

Well you just have to be patient with yourself, ride a bike, hey basic cardio will do it, you got to be consistent though, a lot of people stop working out after like 3 months, but that is when you should stay with it because then you are about a third into your goal, I set my goal for a year, "due to shorter goals just did not work," so I finally realized that I was being unrealistic trying to accompilsh losing the fat and gaining definition too fast, my class instructer told us "the classs" consistisy is the key, and that finally stuck in my head, so I realized that I had to find excercises that I liked, I think you are on the right track, experiment. Don,t be in a hurry because you want your body to get all the benefits you gain by doing it the right way, which is letting your body adapt to the changes, this is the first time I got it right, so keep staying motivated by reading books about exercising, that is what I allso do, if I get bored I,ll go to a cheap price book store, buy me a book on whatever problem I may have in question.

Old 04-02-2004, 08:16 AM   #14
(female)

CAIJ HB User

Quote:
Well you just have to be patient with yourself, ride a bike, hey basic cardio will do it, you got to be consistent though, a lot of people stop working out after like 3 months, but that is when you should stay with it because then you are about a third into your goal, I set my goal for a year, "due to shorter goals just did not work," so I finally realized that I was being unrealistic trying to accompilsh losing the fat and gaining definition too fast, my class instructer told us "the classs" consistisy is the key, and that finally stuck in my head, so I realized that I had to find excercises that I liked, I think you are on the right track, experiment. Don,t be in a hurry because you want your body to get all the benefits you gain by doing it the right way, which is letting your body adapt to the changes, this is the first time I got it right, so keep staying motivated by reading books about exercising, that is what I allso do, if I get bored I,ll go to a cheap price book store, buy me a book on whatever problem I may have in question.
Thanks for your help. I guess I am being too impatient since I have only been doing this for a month consistently. I actually do see the shape of my legs changing a little but my problem always is that I would stick to it if I knew it would eventually work but I get too impatient and give up. It just kind of alarmed me when I heard Michael Thurmond from the show Extreme Makeover mention something about step aerobics not being good if you want to thin your legs. You are right in your statement that if you do not enjoy the exercise you will not keep it up. I do enjoy the walking tapes because I turn off the sound on the tape and just follow the picture and turn my own music on which motivates me. I just worry that there may be some certain exercise that would help with the fat above and inside the knees and the cottage cheese but I will keep it up and see what happens. Guess I am getting really impatient because I am going to Fla and wanted to not have such fat legs for the beach! Oh well! Thanks again.

Old 04-03-2004, 10:52 AM   #15
(female)

vcgyrl HB User

I Yeah hear ya! "on that fla thing".
But still think about staying with it this time, because you will be allso be benefitting your whole body, fat leaves in different areas, you may think its doing nothing , but it could be places you pay no attention to, like me I was losing at my neck but wanting my thighs to lose, but the thighs "nder the buttocks" eem to be the last, along with the stomach for most people, so you will be definatly getting results, I never weigh myself because it can discourage you, what I did was bought me a sewing measuring tape, as soon as I could , in order to take measurements around parts of my body, I wrote the measurments down, for future reference. I would measure myself around every 4-8 weeks, " and with patience" I measured my wrists, hips, lower abs, middle abs (belly button), neck, upper abs. And everytime I remeasured I recorded it mentally. And you must allso realize that there will be other future events that you will be able to be the size you want, so don,t give up, don,t even think about it, if you do you will feel guilty. So I hope this helps even more, you can conquer your dream legs the proper way.

Closed Thread