It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-08-2004, 11:04 PM   #1

RPMcCalip HB User
Creatine cycles and NO2

Hello, I started taking creatine a couple months ago and saw great gains with it, I put on 15-20 pounds in about 6 weeks (some fat, some muscle, which was fine because I was skinny to begin with). I stopped taking it, because I heard you have to cycle off of it, about 3 weeks ago, and I was just wondering when I can start taking it again? I've already lost 5 pounds since I went off it despite the fact that I've been eating like 6 meals a day, 2500 calories and well over 200 grams of protein (I weigh about 185). I have a really hard time keeping weight on because of my metabolism, and I'd like to start taking creatine again asap so I don't lose more weight. So is it ok to start taking it after stopping for one month, or should i wait 6 weeks? I also want to try NO2 with the creatine. Has anyone had any experience with it?

Thanks for any help, as always it's appreciated.

Randy

Old 04-09-2004, 03:33 PM   #2
Inactive
(male)

froe HB User
Re: Creatine cycles and NO2

Hey RPMcCalip

I have not tried creatine nor NO2 but I just have another question for you. Sorry if I am deviating from the topic, but you seem to be in the same situation as me in terms of gaining weight. You said that you were skinny and have gained 15-20 pounds in the past week. Are you an ectomorph right? When you said that you lost 5 pounds cuz you were cycling off creatine, does that mean that part of the "15-20" you gained was just water from drinking from creatine? I heard that some of the gains of creatine are "fake" because some it is just water. I am also eating 6 meals a day. What is your workout routine? I have heard that a workout routine for an ectomorph is different from others, I work three times a week, working out each body part only once. Day 1 - Chest, Soldiers, Triceps. Day 2 - Back, Biceps. Day 3 - Legs.
What is your routine?

Thanks a lot.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2004, 08:40 PM   #3

RPMcCalip HB User
Exclamation Re: Creatine cycles and NO2

Hey Frog. . .I think I'm an ectomorph, that's a hardgainer, right? If so, that's definitely what I am. I fit the profile. Tall (6'1"), long, skinny arms and legs, long fingers, skinny wrists. Anyway, I was 170 before I began taking creatine, I was up to a little over 190 in about 6 weeks, now I'm down to almost 185. I don't know if it's water weight or not that I lost, because I didn't lose it immediately. I kept it on for two weeks, and just in the last week seem to be losing more. My metabolism has always been very fast, when I was in junior high i was 5'8" and I weighed maybe 110, so I've been dealing with it most of my life, and I'm only now to a weight I'm happy with.

My routine is similar to yours, Monday I work out shoulders/biceps/back, Tuesday abs, Wednesday legs, Friday Chest/Tris, Saturday abs, with Thursday/Sunday off.

I've been doing this routine a while now, a few months, and I like it, but I'm going to have to switch it up soon. Your routine looks good to me, but I'm certainly not an expert. I think most people would agree that if you want to put on size, you should tear the hell out of your muscles once a week, and give yourself plenty of time to rest. One muscle group per week, I mean. I am going to start eating 4 meals per day and taking 4 protein shakes per day, once I begin taking creatine again, so hopefully I can get to my target weight of 200 lbs fairly soon. I don't know if your drinking protein shakes or not, if not, I would strongly recommend you do, especially after workouts. Also, creatine provided great results for me, like I said it's always been so difficult for me to put on weight in the past, and creatine worked wonders. I've also heard that some people lose a couple of pounds of water weight after going off, but if you put on 20 pounds losing 2 or 3 isnt really a big deal. I made the mistake of doing a little HIIT cardio for a week or two, which was really stupid since I want to put on weight, not take it off, but I wanted to try to get a six pack and cut while off creatine. Now I'd rather just put on weight and cut later at the end of the summer, hopefully after I'm over 200.

Good luck with your weight gain, hopefully you get some pretty good results. If you have any other questions just ask.

Randy

Old 04-12-2004, 04:16 PM   #4
Inactive
(male)

froe HB User

Thanks for the reply

I have more questions though -

1) when you work out a body part once a week, do you perform pyramid workouts ? : in each set, you would increase weight, decrease reps.
example: set 1 - 80 pounds, 8 rep. set 2: 100 pounds, 6 rep. set 3 120 pounds, 4 rep.

2) do you consume more carbs on non workout days? I don't know how much is "not enough" and "too much". With regards to carbs, some people say that I should not worry about eating too much carb yet because I am still at a point that I wanna gain as much weight as I can. At the same time, I worried about gaining fat when eating too much carb. Sometimes, they say that eating is too much protein is useless if you don't have enough calories of carbs, fats, fiber... etc...

3) you said that were working on getting a 6 pac. They say that ectomorphs do not gain fat so easily. I have skinny, but I have a buncha flab on my belly. Is it normal for ectomorphs to still have the fat there? I am worried that maybe i am classifying myself wrong as an ectomorph. I consider myself an ectomorph because my weight has been the same for the past 5 years - 115 pounds. I have never gained weight, but I wanna get rid of that flab that I have there

Thanks,
that's all for now.

Old 04-12-2004, 07:28 PM   #5

RPMcCalip HB User

Hey Frog, to answer your questions, I really don't eat any differently on my workout days than I do on my non-workout days, I pretty much try to eat as much as I can, as long as what I am eating is high in protein. Because I've never had a problem losing weight really, and I've always had a fast metabolism and I've always been skinny, I don't count calories or carbs or anything, just try to eat a lot. Chicken, eggs, steak, beans, etc, anything with protein. I'm not recommending you do the same, because everybody is different, but that's what has worked for me. I also have a small amount of fat on my stomach, but I'm not all that concerned about it right now. I seem to alternate between wanting to just get bigger and put on weight, and just wanting to get lean and cut and get a 6 pack. For now I'll put on weight, later I'll cut.

As far as the pyramid routine is concerned, I don't do that myself, but I know a lot of people do. I just try to lift as much weight as I can for 3 sets. I'll start with 6 reps, and once I get to the point where I can do 8, I'll add five or ten pounds to it and do six again, etc. I don't really know which routine is more beneficial, maybe someone who is more knowledgeable in this field (Naxis) can help you out with that. I assume they both work well, again, whatever you prefer. I like my routine personally, but I need to switch it up soon so maybe I'll try it just to do something new.

I heard one easy way to determine if your an ectomorph is to wrap your middle finger and thumb around your wrist, and if they overlap then you are an ectomorph. I don't know if this is accurate or not, but I have heard it a number of times on this board, so I believe it's probably true. If you have always been skinny and have a hard time putting on weight and muscle I think you probably are an ectomorph.

Hope this helps,
Randy

Old 04-16-2004, 08:00 AM   #6
Inactive
(male)

froe HB User

thanks a lot man

I am really desperate to gain weight. I was just wanting to compare programs and see what works specifically for ectomorphs. Its kinda hard to gain weight in the sense most people are trying to lose weight. Everything we see in the media is about overweight people trying to lose fat, so there is not too much about ectomorphs. I have ordered various weight gaining programs just for hard gainers like me. The one thing that is unique about Ectomorphs, i noticed, is the idea of training a body part only ONCE a week. Normally, if a person were doing a full body workout, he would perform it at least THREE times a week. I guess mesamorphs and endomorphs have to go to the gym more often. We have go less, but with more intensity in each session, I suppose. Anywayz, I just want to be a success story so bad. I just took a picture of myself. I wanna be able to look at a before and after picture of myself, of how I've grown. People don't know and don't understand the struggles we go through.

I am going to be taking creatine too. I was wondering if you have experienced any negative side effects while on creatine.

Thanks again man.
frog

Old 04-16-2004, 01:24 PM   #7

RPMcCalip HB User

Hey Frog, no problem, good luck with your gains, be sure to keep me updated on your progress and how it is going for you. When I used creatine last month I didn't experience any negative side effects at all, most people don't if they use it properly, just had to go to the bathroom constantly, but everybody complains about that while on creatine. Just make sure that you drink a ton of water, like everyone says, and follow the directions carefully. Make sure you take the creatine with some type of drink that is high in sugar and carbs like an apple juice or gatorade. Also, if your going to load, which I recommend, make sure to only do it 4 or 5 days, taking in about 20 grams of creatine per day, then tapering off to a 5g per day maintenance schedule. And of course, eat a ton of food, as much as you can get your hands on! I always took my maintenance dose before I worked out, which seemed to make more sense to me, but of late, I've been hearing a lot of people say you should take it after you work out. I don't understand that, but I don't know. I was thinking of taking about 3 grams before and 3 grams after, seeing how that worked. To start, I would probably just take it before if I were you though, then see how you like the gains. If you do all of this you should be ok, and you should be able to add at least ten pounds if not more. Before I took creatine I was the ultimate hard gainer, had to eat like 3 times a day just to maintain a weight of 165 pounds.

Good luck, hope it works out for you!

PS
Be sure to cycle off after 4-6 weeks, otherwise it will slow down your progress, possibly even stopping progress altogether. You might lose a few pounds during that time, but you should be able to put on another ten pounds or so after you start up again. Hope this helps, and if you have any more questions please don't hesitate to ask. If there's anyone else who has taken creatine please throw your two cents in.

Randy

Closed Thread