It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-09-2004, 04:45 PM   #1
Inactive

serialnovelist HB User
arm wrestling, stiffness, punching power

I have three questions, they may be stupid and if they are i'm sorry but i'm curious.

1. what are the most important muscles to strengthen for arm wrestling? i was thinking forearms, triceps, shoulder. Is there a specfic exercise that benefits arm wrestling??

2. Since i started lifting weights two months ago it seems like i'm always stiff and always having the urge to stretch, especially when i first wake up in the morning i feel so stiff i feel like i got hit by a truck, is this normal and just part of bulking up ??? I never felt that way in the morning before i started lifting weights.

3. is the only way to increase punching power to hit a heavy bag ?or are there other ways?

Old 04-09-2004, 07:27 PM   #2
Veteran

mjmaciver HB User
Re: arm wrestling, stiffness, punching power

Hi

1. Work the whole arm, It won't hurt. It'll help to find someone that you know is stronger than you and arm wrestle them.

2. If you feel like stretching, stretch. It's pretty normal to feel stiff for a while, but make sure that you are stretching properly before and after your workout, and it wouldn't hurt to stretch when you wake up and go to bed.

3. Try holding weights in your hands (5lbs max) and punching in front of a mirror. (proper form is critical)

talk to ya later

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-09-2004, 08:02 PM   #3
Inactive

serialnovelist HB User

Thank you for the reply, that punching with a weight thing is a real good idea thank you. Actually since i'm so tall and so thin 6'5" and 190 lbs i don't stretch at all before or after my workouts. I'm trying to bulk up and gain mass while actually getting stronger at the same time. Could be why i'm so stiff all the time but it seems to be working. Having a large frame like mine i'm having trouble staying motivated, but i can't ignore how good it feels sometimes, sometimes even when being sore feels good.
Not like i have a before and after stretching routine or anything.

Old 04-09-2004, 09:08 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

dfwgoodguy HB User

Don't really have to havea routine, just make it a habbit to stretch at least your arms for a min or two. Also yeah, it makes you feel real good after you workout and the next day. And yeah being sore, makes you feel as if you did the job well. But after a while the soreness should fade, but you'll still know you did the job when your muscles are still hard the next day..

Old 04-09-2004, 09:33 PM   #5
(female)

vcgyrl HB User

Hello, from what I know is that you have big muscles, and then you have the smaller muscles, when you work the big muscles, you have to later work the small ones, in order to prevent injuries. I use to walk with weights, then at about six or seven months I developed tentinitus in each arm on seperate ocassions, I found out what I had did wrong later on, after I took a weight training class, so now I swim a lot, and I have to look out for the rotator cuff injury that most swimmers get, so I am being careful by working my smaller muscles. And about the stiffness, bodybuilders usually don,t stretch, I heard that in my class, maybe you should get a book, I love the one I bought, it really helps.

Old 04-10-2004, 08:08 PM   #6
(male)

go_da_doggies HB User

The reason why some people don't stretch is because they want to look bulky. When you stretch it gives you the longer muscle look but when you dont strectch it gives you the rounded bulky muscle look and after years of doing this your body looks puffy. I'd stretch though, really helps avoid injury. Mjmaciver is exactly right with his punch training idea, thats what Bruce Lee actually did to improve his punching power, and also strengthen your wrists by holding a dumbell in your hand and spin around in a circle this helps your wrist to stay straight and inturn a much harder punch as your wrist doesn't slip. Also if you have access to a punching bag get someone to hold it and punch STRAIGHT as hard as you can, it will look funny but after a few months of this your punching power will be unbelieveable.

Last edited by go_da_doggies; 04-10-2004 at 08:11 PM.

Old 04-15-2004, 10:10 AM   #7
Inactive

serialnovelist HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by mjmaciver
3. Try holding weights in your hands (5lbs max) and punching in front of a mirror. (proper form is critical)

talk to ya later
gosh darnit i was doing exactly that and i hurt myself. I've got a bruise between my shoulder and bicep and when i stretch my arm out completely, like as if to punch it hurts like hell. I don't think i was using proper form.

guess i'm stuck doing just a lower body routine for the next few days and not working that arm at all to let it heal.

Old 04-15-2004, 03:01 PM   #8
Veteran

mjmaciver HB User

Geez, I feel bad now, yeah by "proper form is critical" I pretty much meant that you should actually have someone (preferably a boxer or martial artist) insruct you on the proper way to do different punches before you start doing it. Yeah geez I'm really sorry about that, I didn't even think about it because I was a boxer when I was younger so I didn't need proper instruction.

might not be a good idea to do it if you hurt yourself the first time, be careful

talk to ya later

Old 04-18-2004, 11:00 PM   #9

TWilliams82 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by serialnovelist
I have three questions, they may be stupid and if they are i'm sorry but i'm curious.

1. what are the most important muscles to strengthen for arm wrestling? i was thinking forearms, triceps, shoulder. Is there a specfic exercise that benefits arm wrestling??

2. Since i started lifting weights two months ago it seems like i'm always stiff and always having the urge to stretch, especially when i first wake up in the morning i feel so stiff i feel like i got hit by a truck, is this normal and just part of bulking up ??? I never felt that way in the morning before i started lifting weights.

3. is the only way to increase punching power to hit a heavy bag ?or are there other ways?
For a good punch, the most important thing is to do it right. With hook punches, keep the arm close to the body and drive the blow with the shoulders and with a twist of the hips. With straight punches, drive them as straight as possible from the shoulder, and again, turn the hips into the blow. This allows one to strike more of the body than just the arm.

As for workouts, work your triceps, shoulders and back. I reccomend heavy weight military shoulder presses, dumbbell shoulder combos (an upright row followed with a shoulder press), and shrugs for the shoulders, failure rep tricep dips and overhead tricep curls for the tris, and bent-over rows and cable lat pulldowns for the back.

Closed Thread