It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2004, 05:35 PM   #1

llbsatcc22 HB User
Unorthodox method of raising metabolism

Hello everyone. Thanks for reading this. Hopefully someone can help me out with my question. I know it's lengthy, but all information is pertinant.

I am a 22 year old male, 5'8" tall, and I weigh between 175 lbs and 180 lbs. I am currently on probation for a dwi, although I have stopped drinking now. In addition, while I have been on probation I have been using marijuana, which I know was obviously a bad decision, however I have stopped that as well. I now understand how hard addiction is, and how I let these drugs control me. I voluntarily admitted to my probation officer that I had been using marijuana, although I was not completely honest with her about the length I had been using marijuana. I have a drug test coming up at the end of this month, and I am ready to accept whatever punishment is handed down to me. However, I am currently trying to eliminate as much thc from my body as quickly as possible, because the lower the reading, the better off I will be. So, there is the background for my question....

I know that exercise and raising the metabolism is a method which speeds up the elimination of thc from the body, because thc is stored in fat, and by exercising and raising the metabolism the body burns fat, thereby reducing thc levels.

By looking at my body weight/height ratio (180 lbs/5'8") you can probably tell I have a slower than average metabolism, which coupled with the amount of excess body fat is not exactly a recipe for speedy thc elimination. I have begun exercising every day now, and for the past few days I have started the low-carbohydrate diet, which always makes me lose weight quickly. In addition, I only eat one meal a day, usually around 3pm or so.

Something I read this morning, though, gave me cause to believe that I might not be approaching this the right way. I read that to increase the metabolism, you need to intake larger amounts of calories, and by eating a light diet, the metabolism actually slows down.

Now, I take 36mg of concerta (time released ritalin, prescribed by my doctor) in the morning, and I know that ritalin is, for all practical purposes, controlled speed. I know that these 'uppers' increase the metabolism, so I have that going for me.

Basically, I need to know, given my stats, an effective and safe way of increasing my metabolism as much as possible.

Judging on the information I read this morning, please tell me if this is an effective way of raising the metabolism (this example is based on what I have read, I came up with this idea, however it does not seem to me to be correct):

eating two to three low-fat meals a day while drinking increased amounts of regular soda, not diet soda, plus exercise, exercise, exercise. The low fat diet seems right since thc is stored in fat, so reducing fat intake seems to make sense. And drinking soda increases calorie intake without increasing fat intake. However, i've never heard of a diet where you are supposed to drink soda.

Could someone with a little more knowledge on the metabolism and what affects please help me sort through this information and help me develop a plan, as well as give me suggestions on what to avoid (besides drugs, or course

i really appreciate you reading this lengthy post, and while you may not agree with why I need to raise my metabolism, please let me restate that I am fully aware how irresponsible I have been by using drugs, especially while on probation, and I am currently attending aa and na meetings to help me stay committed to staying clean and sober. Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2004, 05:12 AM   #2

scribbles HB User
Re: Unorthodox method of raising metabolism

You are right in that you should try to spread your calories out evenly throughout the day, preferably in 5-6 small meals. More importantly, though, is the amount of calories you burn/consume -- too few calories over a period of time will slow your metabolism which in turn will affect weight loss; too many calories and you will gain weight. You don't mention what type of exercises you're doing, but any type of aerobic exercise will burn a lot of calories, and when that weight comes off, a portion of it will invariably be muscle mass. Since muscles help burn calories and determine metabolic rate, lifting weights and proper nutrition will build muscle and minimize muscle loss, thereby preventing decreases in metabolism.

As for how much your metabolism will rise after exercise, it's hard to say -- it could be 5% or 10% above baseline for a few hours or for the rest of the day. Depends how hard you work. Eating a mixture of carbs and protein after a workout can also help keep your metabolism elevated, aid in protein synthesis, and replenish glycogen stores. Since building a pound of muscle can take time, significant changes in body composition and long-term changes in metabolic rate will likely take longer than 20 days to become noticeable.

Thermogenic aids (eg. herbal supplements, substances with caffeine) probably won't raise your metabolism much to any significant degree. Also, various compound interactions with THC metabolites may or may not have an undesirable effect on THC elimination rates.

Regarding your duration of marijuana usage, THC metabolites in heavy users (more than 1 joint a day) apparently can be detected in the urine, in levels greater than the legal limit, for up to 6 weeks after your last use; THC half-life of as long as 10 days. For non-heavy users, traces of the drug could appear up to 3 days afterwards; THC half-life of 2-3 days.

For your diet, I would cut out the sugary, empty calorie, no nutrient foods/beverages, such as alcohol and soda, and replace them with some water. If your end-of-the-month test is a urinalysis, having very concentrated urine will not yield good drug concentration readings. To support muscle development and cardio-induced weight loss, your increases in caloric intake (particularly protein) can be met with the addition of fruits, vegetables, legumes, lean protein/cuts of meat, low-fat dairy products, and complex carbs.

Even though I'm not sure how much losing fat mass (either rapidly or slowly) will help your situation since there's no way of knowing the storage distribution of THC in the body (I believe it can also be found in the liver) and you have no control over which fatty tissues you stimulate during exercise, and I am unfamiliar with the mechanisms which regulate THC metabolism or how it is released into the bloodstream... I would say your best bet would probably be to refrain from further marijuana use (including passive inhalation), eat adequately to feed your body/muscles, eat as healthy as possible, don't skimp on the water, and throw in some exercise. Good luck with everything.

Closed Thread