It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2004, 06:33 PM   #1

timber39 HB User
Calories burned??

I own an elliptical machine, or some people call it a cross trainer. One of the many screen modes it has is calories burned. As I am working out everyday and watching those numbers, I wonder how accurate it really is. So I was wondering if anyone knew how accurate the calories burned screen is on excercise machines?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-10-2004, 07:52 PM   #2

scribbles HB User
Re: Calories burned??

Depends on the regression equation the machine uses. In general, exercise machines overestimate the amount of calories burned, eg. reported to be by 10, 15, 20%. It's difficult to get an accurate figure under non-laboratory conditions because there are variables that can affect energy expenditure but don't enter into the equations used by the machine, eg. biomechanical efficiency, machine calibration.

However, you can still use the figures as a rough estimate.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2004, 09:44 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Rick7799 HB User

Also, I use the calories burned on how hard I am working out. I compare it from one workout to another. It's just a rough estimate but at least you have an idea on what you are burning.

Old 04-16-2004, 11:37 AM   #4

asully HB User

I frequently wear a heart rate monitor when I work out. When I do, the HRM and elliptical read outs are alway very close to the same however the elliptical usally reads just a little higher. Maybe about 5% higher on average.

Old 04-17-2004, 05:02 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

rita HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by scribbles
Depends on the regression equation the machine uses. In general, exercise machines overestimate the amount of calories burned, eg. reported to be by 10, 15, 20%. It's difficult to get an accurate figure under non-laboratory conditions because there are variables that can affect energy expenditure but don't enter into the equations used by the machine, eg. biomechanical efficiency, machine calibration.

However, you can still use the figures as a rough estimate.
Treadmills are supposedly more accurate in calorie estimats than other cardio machines. They may be off by 5% or so whereas I have read that ellipticals and Stairmaster can be as much as 30% off.

Closed Thread