It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2004, 05:46 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

jill30 HB User
I want muscular arms!

I am a woman looking to build nice muscular arms. I workout on my arms for a 1/2 an hour five times a week with dumbells. My arms are toned but I do not see any muscle. Any suggestions would be helpfull.

Old 04-10-2004, 06:28 PM   #2

Alias HB User
Re: I want muscular arms!

For one thing, you don't need to train your arms 5 days a week it is not good for you, it can leed to overtraining and then muscle growth will be very hard to get. Try traing your arms 1-2 days a week, like on a mon and thurs. Be sure to get your protein for good results, and try doing different exercises every 4 weeks so not to overtrain.

good luck

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2004, 03:09 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Endorphin Junky HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by jill30
I am a woman looking to build nice muscular arms. I workout on my arms for a 1/2 an hour five times a week with dumbells. My arms are toned but I do not see any muscle. Any suggestions would be helpfull.
I'd plan some kind of lifting routine to work your whole body. Your body doesn't like to grow one part out of proportion to another, so make sure you hit all your muscle groups with compound movements 3 times a week on non-consecutive days. Don't worry about "bulking up". Its not that easy and most women don't have enough naturally produced testosterone.

And make sure you eat enough. If you're not giving you body more calories than you need to maintain your current weight, you won't build much muscle since your body is already using all the cals you give it just to keep things the way that they are. Bear in mind that your base caloric requrements will increase when you add a proper lifting program to your current routine since lifting uses alot of energy.

Old 04-12-2004, 12:11 AM   #4
Inactive

Laurie2 HB User

They are right. You dont want to overtrain your arms working them only. Muscle fatigue, possible injury and you getting impatient and tired out. As a rule, women do not get "massive" like the guys (not enough testosterone) but they can get defined muscles eventually. However, this is as much diet as it is resistance lifting.

How long have you been lifting? By the way, "Toned" means you are building some muscle. Be sure to eat enough protein as this will help repair and build muscle fiber. Find a good beginning workout. Compound exercises are the bench presses (flat and incline) and squats. For the arms, it is shoulder, tricep and bicep exercises. Not just the arms themselves.

If you are not sure of how to put together a workout program, you can contact a local YWCA or even a local college. This is how I started out but joining a community college "Women's Strength" Class. I still use the basic outline my instructor gave me and added some other exercises I found to use at home (we had access to some machines in the gym as well as freeweights). A strength workout would be lifting moderately heavy weights at 4 sets of 10 reps or abit less.

Last edited by Laurie2; 04-12-2004 at 12:31 AM.

Old 04-12-2004, 08:17 PM   #5

jaalfer HB User

to get big you need to train heavy. 6-8 reps 4-5 sets. Do a weight that you do 6-8 reps with. Try barbel/dumbel curls then concentration curls. Works great.

Closed Thread