It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-10-2004, 11:31 PM   #1

sunnyhk HB User
body types

WHat does a ectomorph look like???
Do they have any muscles at all???

Old 04-11-2004, 12:50 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User
Re: body types

Hi,

Of course they have muscles. The muscle tone of an ectomorph is more lean and fine. They are naturally thin -- with normal eating habits and tend to have a more difficult putting on weight. Weight gain would normally be around the mid section.

The normal ecto body is short waisted/longer leg ratio.

Do a search on ectomorph....you'll find lots of info on it and suggestions for exercises to build muscle mass, eating, etc.

Yes, I'm an ectomorph and just starting to put on weight at age 49. This is the most I've ever weighed in my life (145 at 5'8) and I've normally eaten anything and everything I want. I'm enjoying the extra fullness....but yes, it's mostly around my tummy. I've inherited it from my father who was the CLASSIC ecto. You know Don Knotts??? My dad was a 6'3 version of him. ALL of my dad's family was ecto....Dang! but at least weight gain wasn't an issue I've ever had to deal with.

quincy

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-11-2004, 03:21 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(male)

Endorphin Junky HB User

Somatype definitions generally go along the lines of:

Ectomorph (endurance athlete):
"Hard Gainer"
Slim Build
Lean
Low muscle mass
Takes Longer to Gain Muscle

Mesomorph (power athlete):
Athletic
High muscle mass
Gains Muscle Easily
Gains Fat More Easily Than Ectomorphs

Endomorph (nonathlete):
Soft
Underdeveloped Muscles
Round Physique
Weight Loss is Difficult
Gains Muscle Easily Like the Mesomorph

Most people are a combination of different somatypes.

Last edited by Endorphin Junky; 04-11-2004 at 11:14 AM.

Old 04-11-2004, 11:25 PM   #4

sunnyhk HB User

I cant tell wether I am a ectopmorph or mesomorph.....how can I tell???

Old 04-12-2004, 12:31 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

quincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB Userquincy HB User

Explain what your body looks like.....

Are you m or f?

Pick a famous person and compare....

As Endorphin Junky mentioned, most of us are a combination -- but more of one than another.

Try to explain your shape and we might be able to help.

quincy

Last edited by quincy; 04-12-2004 at 12:33 PM.

Old 04-12-2004, 01:20 PM   #6
Senior Veteran

Evl316 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhk
I cant tell wether I am a ectopmorph or mesomorph.....how can I tell???

Place your thumb and middle finger around your wrist. If they overlap you are an ectomorph, if they only touch you are a mesomorph and if they don't touch you are an endomorph.

Old 04-12-2004, 02:25 PM   #7

sunnyhk HB User

Do I put my thumbs on each side of my hips...and my middle fingers in front...and see if they touch/overlap/etc????

I think my body kind of looks like bruce lee's....I dont have as many muscles as him...but I think my body and the way my muscles are shaped..are like his....

I am half asian and half white.....

Old 04-12-2004, 05:13 PM   #8
Senior Veteran

Evl316 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunnyhk
Do I put my thumbs on each side of my hips...and my middle fingers in front...and see if they touch/overlap/etc????

I think my body kind of looks like bruce lee's....I dont have as many muscles as him...but I think my body and the way my muscles are shaped..are like his....

I am half asian and half white.....

Read my post again genius.

Old 04-13-2004, 01:05 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(female)

From what you say (and what Bruce Lee's body looked like -- lean fighting machine! AWESOME!)...I would place you ectomorph. Bruce Lee was in tip-top shape. He wasn't just born with those muscles and worked intensely to get there.

Other famous males who are ectomorph are Tom Hanks, Brad Pitt, Seth Green, Edward Norton, and bodybuilders Frank Zane and on one site it said Flex Wheeler -- I doubt that one.

If you mentioned you were average/small/slight like Bruce Lee, but naturally muscular, I'd say ecto-mesomorphic.

There's a lot of info on exercises for ectomorphs.

What type of sports do you do? Are you involved in martial arts? Bruce Lee was my brother's idol. Kung Fu was his "thing" since the 60's. Equally intense at training.

I hope this was helpful....

quincy

Last edited by quincy; 04-13-2004 at 01:19 AM.

Old 04-13-2004, 01:23 PM   #10

RunRunRun HB User

I take Tae Kwon Do....

Old 04-13-2004, 04:31 PM   #11

sunnyhk HB User

I take Tae Kwon Do too.....

Old 04-13-2004, 07:21 PM   #12
Veteran
(female)

hollandlop HB User

Lagamorphs are another term for rabbits. Actually they look like rabbits.

Old 04-13-2004, 08:12 PM   #13

dirrtyblonde07 HB User

what about me? can you tell me what I am quincy? I am sort of shaped like Beyonce or J. Lo in that I have a small waist with a big booty. I don't have really defined muscles but i am toned.

Old 04-14-2004, 10:19 AM   #14

sunnyhk HB User

in ectomorphs that eat alot of fatty foods and never work out....where does all the fat and calories go????

Old 04-14-2004, 12:55 PM   #15

scribbles HB User

With all macronutrients, chemical bonds are broken and energy is released for either immediate use as fuel in the cells (ie. you "burn the fat") or for energy storage in adipose tissue. All things being equal, the more fat cells you have, the greater your storage capacity and hence, fat mass.

As for the second half of the equation, you "breathe out the weight of the fat molecule" (you probably hear this phrase all time as well!). Fatty acids are primarily chains of carbon atoms. So after chemical reactions release the energy for use, you eliminate the major by-products (carbon dioxide, water) through expiration, sweat, or urine.

The pathways for fuel metabolism are similar in everyone -- some are just more efficient at it, simply due to physiology and/or having the "thin genes", or as a result of training adaptations (eg. fat utilization becomes more efficient).

Closed Thread