It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-12-2004, 09:07 AM   #1
(female)

Zialady HB User
Question Suggest a Home Gym for Beginner?

I have decided to buy a universal machine for weight training. I am currently using free weights and a plain bench, but I feel I really want a weight machine to work my entire body. I'm not interested in the 'flex' types, but a weight stack instead.

My goal is to get in shape, lose weight and be strong and healthy. I'm not interested in 'pumping up'

Do you have any suggestions as to a manufacturer, type, things to look for, to look out for? Would a used machine be an option? I'm looking at spending approx. $500.

Any ideas or suggestions at all would be greatly appreciated! Thanks!

Old 04-12-2004, 01:12 PM   #2
Inactive

Laurie2 HB User
Re: Suggest a Home Gym for Beginner?

Well, I found using freeweights, I can do higher intensity and attack the supporting muscles better than with machines. But if you want to do alternative exercises calling for cable or presses (i.e. Leg presses, tricep pushdowns, cable rows) then machines will help.

My bench has an adjustable leg extension setup that I found useful for performing one alternative form of backrow. I just pull on the upper bars to raise the plates attached below. The motion does work the back quite well. The Leg curl bar is adjustable on this attachment as well. Since it is adjustable on my attachment, I found it useful as another alternative tricep/back exercise while lying down on my back with my head facing the attachment. I raise my arm overhead and pull the bars down towards me.

I do not have access to a gym anymore and had to be inventive. My husband bought my Olympic bench w/bb&plates used at a St Vincent dePaul's the end of my first semester as a Christmas gift. This so I could keep exercising until the next semester started and after all the classes were done. Took a year of Women's Strength classes for the very reason you gave. Not so much to "bulk"....we cant get massive muscles like the guys.... but we can build muscle, get stronger, get shapelier and healthier lifting.

Sometimes you can find very good, well made machines in such places for a fraction of a new one. So many buy expensive machines, try them out, get impatient/bored and give them away.

Last edited by Laurie2; 04-12-2004 at 01:17 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-12-2004, 08:15 PM   #3

jaalfer HB User

Get free weights. Go olympic style if you are really serious. If you think you will keep doing it for a while, definitley get a set of olympic weights and an olympic bench. Get a bench that will let you do squats.

Old 04-14-2004, 10:14 AM   #4

jaalfer HB User

Personal opinoin: bowflex/crossbow are crap. Stick with free weights.

Old 04-14-2004, 11:29 AM   #5
(female)

Zialady HB User

Thanks everyone. Looks like I'll be sticking with free weights.

Now I need to know what to look for in a bench so I can work my legs. I was hoping to do some squat type movements with weight, you know, sitting and pushing. Can this be done on a regular bench? All I've seen are the padded roll for doing kick-out and leg bending movements. I want to push!

I plan on doing some research on 'olympic style' as I have no idea what that means.

Any info on a bench? An example, perhaps? A website with a picture? I'm really new to equipment, although I've been doing light free weights for years.

Thanks for all your help!

Closed Thread