It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2004, 02:54 AM   #1

chloe_girl HB User
Gaining Weight after Personal Training

I've been seeing a personal trainer for about a month now. I do two 90 minute sessions a week with her and do another on my own.

From the beginning she said it would take time to lose weight as the muscles had to get stronger first (prior to the training I had a sedentary lifestyle).

One month later I have found that I have actually gained weight instead of losing it. My family think I am mad seeing a trainer and actually gaining weight instead of losing it.

The Trainer however maintains that this is due to extra muscle and that I will see the difference when she does another fitness assessment in a few weeks.

We have increased the sessions to 3 times a week and the duration and intensity has also increased dramatically. I hope to see positive results from now on.

Have others had this experience while doing personal training?

Old 04-13-2004, 03:34 AM   #2
Inactive

Laurie2 HB User
Re: Gaining Weight after Personal Training

Not with personal trainers but I did take a year's worth of a college women's strength classes. These were in small classes with maybe 5-7 women of all ages.. but mostly older. I was about midrange at 51-52 years old. This was done as three day splits for 90 minutes. We started out with low weights(3-5lb dbls for curls and 10lbs for bentover dbl rows for example) to get our bodies used to lifting with freeweights and with machines. As we progressed, the poundages would go up if we felt the need. Some stayed with the lower weights, some progressed up to a certain point and a couple of others (including myself) went further.

After a week with lower weights, I found going through the 4 sets of 10-12 reps with the lower weights too easy. I live a rural lifestyle and even being overweight at 245 at the time....was still stronger than the more sedentary in the class. My instructor had me go with slightly higher weights to push myself more. By the end of the first three month semester, I was further ahead than the rest by quite abit (was doing alternating/sulpinating bicep curls with 20lb dbls for 3 sets/10reps and 25 dbls for 1 set/5 reps). I found I loved lifting and the empowerment it gave me as a woman to be stronger and healthier. Having dropped a few inches in the waistline helped too.

In a year, I went from 245 to 185 and wearing clothes sizes when I first married 33 years ago. However, I am about 15-20 pounds heavier than I was at that time. Over that year, I had exchanged fat for some muscle growth. To me, that was a fair exchange I could live with.

You will build muscle exercising with freeweights as your trainer says. it depends on your progress and intensity, although as a woman you will not "bulk up" quite like a guy. But Muscle is denser than fat so you will build this up with what you are doing and with proper diet.

So the best indicator of fat loss so early would be your wardrobe. Does it seem looser than before you started? Going by the scales can be misleading.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-13-2004, 04:18 AM   #3

chloe_girl HB User

No unfortunately my clothes seem the same hopefully things will change now that the intensity has increased

Old 04-13-2004, 04:44 AM   #4
Inactive

Laurie2 HB User

Well, you have had only one month AND at least they are not feeling any tighter as if you were gaining fat pounds.

Looking over my old journal, I did not seem to lose hardly at first either. Just felt "different" and more energized. I would take my son to the same college for night classes, at the time, (he was on scholarship) and took the class as a filler while waiting for his classes to end. Before taking the class, it was hard to keep awake sometimes driving back over a rural highway at 10pm. Afterward starting the class, I found I had more energy and was more awake after a workout. Would be abit sore at first during those first few weeks but was told to expect this.

Old 04-13-2004, 07:18 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

Just give it a little more time. If your weight has gone up a little but your clothes are fitting the same, then you are getting some lean mass which *will* increase your metabolism and help you to burn more fat. Please, please don't stress and just stay consistent. You will see results. The scale is a bad gauge of progress for the first month or so. Soon you will look and feel leaner regardless of what the scale is telling you. Keep it up!! Good luck!

Old 04-13-2004, 07:50 AM   #6
Senior Veteran

Evl316 HB User

Keep in mind muscle and fat have different densities and weigh differently. For example 5 pounds of muscle may be the size of a tangerine while 5 pounds of fat is the size of 2 grapefruits. So if you lose fat and gain some muscle you won't see any weight change but will see a dramatic size difference. Additionally with more muscle you're body will be more efficient at burning calories and fat helping to keep the fat off. Your results so far sound right in line with what you should be getting. You'll notice a big size difference within at least the next few months so just stick with it.

Old 04-14-2004, 01:06 AM   #7

chloe_girl HB User

Thanks everyone for your advice and support - I'm going to stick at it I'm just looking for reassurance I guess. Actually my weight haas dropped a little since the weekend so thats good progress.

Will keep you updated.

Closed Thread