It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2004, 02:12 PM   #1

esam HB User
contemplating a personal trainer......

i've been going to the gym fairly regularly (as one can with kids and schedules) since Jan. been eating pretty healthy too - good carbs / good fats etc etc. i've lost almost 30lbs and want to lose 20 more. my question is - is it worth it to hire a personal trainer at the gym? i know what i'm doing at the gym - i'm familiar with the machines and free weights. i have books on weight lifting for women and have come up with, what i think, have been pretty decent workouts using various equipment and working all the main muscle groups. (and doing cardio - trying the HIIT the last few weeks). i follow the BodyForLife type of workout where you do 12/10/8/6/12 reps increasing the weight till the last set and have been doing that for the last month or two.

hiring a personal trainer can be / is expensive tho. for 30 min once a week for a month it's $120. and 30 min doesn't seem like that much. for me, i think a trainer would be great to push me to do the exercises and do incorporate different things into my workout but at 30 min once a week i dont' see that happening. 45 min is $160. do you think it's worth it? my body shape is improving but i want to firm up and become more tone and maybe a diff workout strategy would do it

what is your advice? i have yet to attempt the subject with my husband yet. ($$).

Old 04-13-2004, 02:53 PM   #2

never2L8 HB User
Re: contemplating a personal trainer......

My theory is that they could be helpful in drawing up a routine and showing you how to perform the exercises properly but one 30 minute session a week is not a lot of time. If you can see gains/improvements, still enjoy working out and are not getting any injuries, I would keep going the way you are.

I have seen lots of trainers at the gym I go to and they all have their own theories and ways of doing things and I get concerned about how good their advice might be. Having said that, really changing routines or the way you do things can really help shock your system and alleviate bordem.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2004, 01:12 AM   #3

chloe_girl HB User

As you may have read on my other post I've been seeing a trainer for about a month now. I find the trainer invaluable for motivation and to make me push myself harder while still maintaining correct form. My trainer also varies my programme a lot making sure I never get bored with it.

At the very least booking one session with the trainer to go through your current exercise program and suggesting variations could make a big difference.

Old 04-14-2004, 03:32 AM   #4
(female)

vcgyrl HB User

What helps me is body awareness, I do yoga and it seem to really enhance my workouts, when you increase your body awareness, you automaticlly become more in tune with proper techniqes for yourself, because our bodies are different, so you can be your own trainer with more body awareness, I hope I explained it right.

Closed Thread