It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-13-2004, 04:32 PM   #1
(female)

woodahs HB User
Need to shrink waist, hips, and thighs - exercises?

What exercises would be best for shrinking these problem areas? Thanks for any & all help

Old 04-14-2004, 12:01 AM   #2
Inactive

Laurie2 HB User
Re: Need to shrink waist, hips, and thighs - exercises?

There is no such thing as "spot reducing". The body will take fat from where ever to burn as energy while exercising. Generally, it is the last put on will be the first to go...why rings/bracelets will get looser and the face seem slimmer before other parts show. The waist in many people is the first place the body stores fat....and why it is the most problem area. In some women it is the hips, thighs and legs as well.

It is a matter of patience with diet and whole body exercising.....and time.

In the meantime, you can do crunches to help strengthen the abs.
For the upper body:
bench presses
Incline press (great to help create more "cleavage")
Bicep curls
tri cep extensions (to strengthen and lessen those pesky "batwings")

Shoulders:
Military presses with barbell or with dumbbells
Lateral raises with dumbbells

For the back:
Bentover dumbbell rows
Bentover barbell rows

For the legs (if you do not have access to a gym but do have a bench with barbells/dumbbells/plates....and adjustable leg attachment)
Lunges
squats with barbell or dumbbells
Leg curls
Extensions.

cardio with treadmill/bicycling/running/walking/jogging.

Do a three day split with one day of rest inbetween. The workouts should last no more than hour to 90 minutes. Be sure to stretch thoroughly before lifting. Moderately heavy weights for strength are 4 sets of 10 to 12 reps or abit less. Rest a minute between sets. Keep a journal to keep track of your progress with the exercises and diet.

Diet. Eat 5-6 smaller meals about every three hours during the day. Up your protein and lower your carbs/cut sugars (if you havent already) Drink plenty of water. You will need some fats. This all to help turn your body into a fat burning machine as both diet and exercise will keep your metabolism up to burn the fat while building strength/muscle and shapely.

Be determined and have patience. The fat will come off in time.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2004, 03:18 AM   #3
(female)

vcgyrl HB User
Re: Need to shrink waist, hips, and thighs - exercises?

Nice post Laurie2

I think the hardest part IS having the patience, it took me years to finally get it, and now I have to force myself not to workout so I don,t overtrain, otherwise I love watching my bod transform, it seem as though the thighs, hips, and stomach are the last to go "of the fat," but they will decrease in inches all together, "once you start losing in that area, for instance my hip measurement was 43, my stomach was 33, well now my hip meas, is 41, and my stomach is 31, so you will lose the inches slowly, while some people lose faster, depending on your age, I am a little older so I don,t lose as fast as I did when younger, but I got it under control, and am loving it.
Good Luck

Closed Thread