It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-14-2004, 12:27 AM   #1

RPMcCalip HB User
Worried about overtraining

Hello, I am concerned that I might be overtraining. I only work each muscle group once per week, so I thought it would be ok to do around 7-8 exercises for each muscle (the gym I go to has a TON of equipment), but I read a post a few minutes ago that says this is still overtraining, and that you really shouldn't do more than 4 excercises per even if your only working out one body part per week. I split chest/tries and shoulder/bis/back, then legs and abs have another day. I really don't even feel sore the next day. I am usually there about 90 minutes. I have seen pretty decent gain, but I'm wondering if I could see even more gain if I cut it down to just three or four per body part. Or is it ok to do as many as you want in one day, as long as you rest enough the remainder of the week? Any help would be great!

Thanks,
Randy

Old 04-14-2004, 12:33 AM   #2
Inactive

Laurie2 HB User
Re: Worried about overtraining

You just might. Concentrate on those 3-4 different ones and try this way for a few weeks. The body gets used to the same exercises afterwhile and why changing the routine is needed.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-14-2004, 07:26 AM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

First of all, what are your goals? Regardless, there's really no need to be in the gym 90 minutes doing just weight training. Especially if you're doing a split. Even if you're doing circuit type training, an hour should be about the max. If you're looking for mass, you need to drop the exercises to 2-4 per muscle group and increase the weight. It's better to use different exercises every few weeks than to try to get them all in every time. It helps to keep your muscles from adapting and thus hitting a plateau.

Old 04-14-2004, 11:19 PM   #4

never2L8 HB User

I think sets and reps have to be taken into account when deciding if you are overtraining. Seven exercises for a body part may not be overtraining of you are doing one or two sets of 8-10 reps per exercise, but could be overkill if you are doing five or six sets of 12-15 reps per exercise. If you are happy with the gains you are seeing, then maybe what you are doing is not overtraining for you. We are all different and all have individual training threshholds.

I do agree with Naxis however - again - that 90 minutes is a long time purely for weights, unless you are having a five minute break between each set or each exercise (which can reduce the benefits). I spend an hour working out at the gym most visits, including warm up, usually a bit of cardio and a cool down. Admittedly I am on my lunch break but I can still really push myself in that hour.

Old 04-15-2004, 12:19 AM   #5

RPMcCalip HB User

Thanks for the advice, as always it's appreciated. I will probably start limiting my routines to just 3 or 4 exercises per body part, and just alternate every week or so like Naxis suggested, that way my body doesn't adapt to what I'm doing. I think I've reached a plateau at this point anyway, so I was looking for something to switch it up. My goal is really to put on as much size as I can. Naxis, would it be ok to pick a couple of exercises and do them every week (such as bench and flys for chest, military and laterals for shoulders, etc) and then just alternate the other two exercises each week? I really prefer doing bench every time I work my chest, and I don't really want to do it just every other week. Also, I was looking for something to do to shock the muscles, because I'd really like to get over this plateau. I read something about, static training I believe was the term, where you stop in the middle of a rep and hold the weight there for 15 or 20 seconds, or however long you can. I'm not sure if that's the right term. I was thinking about doing that on the last rep of the last set of each exercise, just holdfing the weight as long as I could. Do you think this is a good "shock" method?

Thanks again for the help,
Randy

Old 04-15-2004, 06:42 AM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPMcCalip
Naxis, would it be ok to pick a couple of exercises and do them every week (such as bench and flys for chest, military and laterals for shoulders, etc) and then just alternate the other two exercises each week?
Sure. As long as you're getting results from the routine, you can pretty much try any methods you like. If you're not getting anywhere after trying it for a couple weeks, you'll know that something has to be changed.

Quote:
I read something about, static training I believe was the term, where you stop in the middle of a rep and hold the weight there for 15 or 20 seconds, or however long you can. I'm not sure if that's the right term. I was thinking about doing that on the last rep of the last set of each exercise, just holdfing the weight as long as I could. Do you think this is a good "shock" method?
I wouldn't make static contraction training the only kind of training you do, but if you balance it with some full ROM exercises, I think it could be very effective for you. Give it a shot. At this point you have nothing to lose by trying, right?

Addendum: static or slow eccentric training usually causes a lot of microtrauma. While this is good for mass building, it can require a little extra recovery time.

Last edited by Naxis; 04-15-2004 at 06:20 PM.

Old 04-15-2004, 03:41 PM   #7

never2L8 HB User

I have seen a couple of trainers at the gym make people either hold the last contraction or make sure they do the last release in an extremely slow manner. I have always wondered if there was any benefit to it.

Closed Thread