It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-16-2004, 02:46 AM   #1

flamey_kitten HB User
Unhappy Fat Burning Heart Rate and Tachycardia

This is a little long, but I am genuinely concerned for my health and confused as to what is best to do about it.

So, I'm getting desperate. Since about the middle of February, I made it a point to become more active. I started doing pilates at home, taking the dog to the beach to run around with a frisbee, and then moved up to going to a gym 3-4 times a week. I have submerged myself in trying to find the "right" way to work out, but I had not really had a goal as to what I wanted to burn and how. I just assumed exercise was exercise and I'd lose some inches and pounds.

In this month and a half of sincere efforts at exercise and good eating, I have lost an inch off my waist, and haven't really lost any weight that my scale says. I feel like it should be more, but I'll get to that.

More recently, I have been reunited with Target Heart Rate and the role it plays in burning fat and sugar. Disappointed with my waist measurements, my recent research revealed my waist to hip ratio is not good. It's at exactly .8 - and the calculators tell me I need to lose weight or I'll find myself at risk for all kinds of things. I don't want that. So, I tell myself I need to burn fat, somehow. I check my target heart rate. I learn about fat burning rate, cardio rate, and do-not-get-higher-than-this rate.

Here are some numbers:
- I'm 24
- waist measurement at navel is 31 at the end of the day
- hips at the widest point are 38, 36 at narrowest
- I'm 5'6" and usually between 130-135lbs
- 60-70% (fat burning zone?) of my MHR is 118-137bpm

When I go to the gym, my routine usually takes me to a type of cross country ski thing with a heart monitor and different programs. My usual heart rate is 177-185 in the 30 minutes I spend on that machine (which the machine categorizes as "above zone").

I'm not real sure where I should be in order to burn fat when doing an aerobic program like the cross country or cycling (usually after that, I go lift light weights for back, abs, and legs). Hell, the cycle's heart monitor constantly tells me to slow down, but I feel fine and slowing down I feel like I am doing nothing.

I also am concerned because I have tachycardia - my heart rate is usually 100+ just walking around relaxed and I wonder if it plays into my heart rate being so high when exercising.

Should I just stick with weights and give the cardio stuff a break?

totally lost =\

Last edited by flamey_kitten; 04-16-2004 at 02:48 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-27-2004, 04:32 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Howitt44 HB User
Re: Fat Burning Heart Rate and Tachycardia

Flamey kitten,
I am just like you. I have a normal fast heart rate, usually above 90. When I work out on the treadmill , I can only get to a slow jog before my heart rate goes to 160-170. I am 47 years old and overweight, so I don't know if this is good or not. I want my heart and lungs to be in the "training mode" because I want both to be strengthened. But I also don't want to drop dead!!!I usually just jog 1 minute , walk 1 minute for 30 minutes and so can drop my heart rate to 140 or so when I slow down. So its not constantly in that high range. I think I might suggest an exercise stress test to my doctor and see what he thinks. That way he can see how my heart is doing when I jog.
Cindy

Old 04-27-2004, 05:18 PM   #3
Inactive

Laurie2 HB User

You might want to just stick with the weights to lose the bodyfat as this works the muscles harder and keeps your metabolism up longer. IF you feel you need cardio...then just do it after the lifting for 30 minutes or so. The lifting should be done for an hour.

Old 04-27-2004, 10:40 PM   #4

never2L8 HB User

I would suggest doing weights after a 5-10 minute warm up and then do the cardio after weights. You don't have to push the cardio hard when doing this, simply walking briskly on a treadmill would be sufficient as you have already fired your body up with the weights. About 20 minutes of cardio is sufficient with this plan, as long as you do this 3 or 4 days a week and maybe do some walking on the off days to supplement it. You can get on the stationary bike if you prefer but IMO brisk walking is better than the stationary bike as it is weight bearing.

Also remember that fat loss is more about diet than exercise, if you are eating badly you will only get so far with the exercise. Exercise is very beneficial but diet is critical.

Closed Thread