It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2004, 11:40 AM   #1

gfd HB User
Lifting weights

Should I start lifting weights ? I alway's felt like If lift weight I would look like a guy. Can you get away with eating more if you lift weights? I"M 23 I Loved food I"M 5"10 0r 5"11 girl and weight 140 pounds and want get back down to 130 that I weight that much most of the time but I loved sweets and candy and fast food. So I feel if I lift weights can I get away with eating more? I do exercise it just that I just loved sweet and candy cheeseburger too much.

Old 04-17-2004, 01:06 PM   #2

Chasedog HB User
Re: Lifting weights

If you train incredibly hard, have perfect nutrition, and fantastic genetics, you MIGHT be able to gain enough muscle to look masculine. My point is, it won't happen overnight or by accident.

If you lift weights you should gain some muscle. Muscle will increase your metabolism allowing you to eat more and maintain your weight. However, muscle weighs more than fat, so you could look slimer but actually have increased your mass. That's why scales are useless for determining health.

My advice is to get active and go ahead and enjoy your junk food. Eat healthy 6 days a week and whatever you want on the 7th. Or eat smaller portions of junk each day and get enough exercise to use the extra calories.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-17-2004, 02:02 PM   #3

gfd HB User

MY cousin 5"9 and she has alot muscle which she eat tons but weight alot and she still a size 8 to 10 She use to lifts weight not anymore but she has alot of muscle and she get away with eating tons of food with me I have to exercise tons so I dont gain weight but I do eat alot I can go fast food and eat 3 bacon cheeseburger easy if there were not big enough than I order some fries on the side but I feel if gaining weight I just eat less.

Old 04-17-2004, 11:24 PM   #4
Inactive

Laurie2 HB User

Most women cannot bulk in the same way as a guy. Genetics and hormonal factors. This is not to say some cannot build alot of muscle or look muscular...but it does take a lot of calories, alot of training and strict diet geared for this.

However, you can lift weights, gain muscle and look defined without bulking. It is a great way to help boost your metabolism to turn your body into a fat burning machine. It does mean moderating your diet to include more protien, lower the refined carbs (eat complex/veggies) and cut the sugar. Some fats are good for you. Eat 5-6 smaller meals a day to help keep your metabolism up while you are lifting. Actually lifters do eat more calories to have the energy to lift. Why your cousin is able to eat more than you and yet keep her weight.

Muscle does weigh more than fat. It is denser.

Not everyone is the same but you will lose weight and keep it off by lifting. Build muscle and stay healthy at the same time. At least a three day split for an hour or 90 minutes a session. Do cardio on the off lift days or for a short time after lifting.

"Toning" means becoming "defined/build muscle" An advertising "buzzword" to help women get over their fear of lifting weights in general. Too long have women fallen prey to the old myths of "Females and Lifting".

I lost 60 pounds while taking a year of a college women's strength class. Was 245 at 5'6" and 50 years old when I first joined. What I learned is invaluable and what I gained in knowledge about myself is immense. The empowerment, flexibility, increased health and no more back aches. When I was young it was unheard of for a woman to go into a gym to lift....much less pick up a dumbbell.

So dont fall into the trap and just do it! Have patience and give yourself time. Eat properly and the benefits will last a lifetime.

Old 04-18-2004, 07:24 PM   #5

gfd HB User

When I see cousin see eat tons see use to play baketball and lift weight but she does not do any of that stuff anymore. I think because she married now I"M just kidding she tell me she does not exercise anymore she eat alot I think she get away with eating alot because she has so much muscle. I eat well but I just have to exercise to keep the weight off. My older brother use lift weights in high school and he really bulk up he had big muscle stop lifting weight so muscle are not big anymore my other brother lift weights and he so skinny and his arms stay so skinny and he lifts weights alot. I starled lifting weights this weekend I really want get some muscle so I can eat more calories plus one time try donating blood and said me my veins were too weak and I would have to lift weights. I wanted do it back them for some extra cash.

Closed Thread