It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-17-2004, 08:08 PM   #1

NYguy HB User
Upper Chest/Shoulder/Lats Targetting to offset "man-boobs"

Hi everyone,

8 months ago, I cut sugar and refined carbohydrates out of my diet and went from 5'8 200lbs with a 38" waist down to 150lbs with a 30" waist. I'm now very slim and not only did I lose a ton of fat, I lost a bit of muscle mass as well and am doing weight training to build up my muscle mass again. One troubling thing is that the remaining fat in my body is pronounced in my chest, and I'm suffering from that most embarassing male physical feature of "man boobs."

As you're all well aware, certain muscles are much easier to target than others. I'd like to target my upper chest to offset the "pooch" around my nipples while my body continues to shed the fat that still resides there. I'd also like to build up my lats and my shoulders to improve my posture and get that "V" look for which my frame is designed.

Any pointers on weight training techniques to focus on these areas? Remember that I'm trying to stay away from my lower pecs as that will just make my "man boobs" a bit more pronounced.

Cheers

Old 04-18-2004, 10:40 AM   #2

PhotoStic HB User
Re: Upper Chest/Shoulder/Lats Targetting to offset "man-boobs"

Incline bench press or military press is the best upper chest imo. Not sure if that helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2004, 09:24 PM   #3

TWilliams82 HB User

I've had a simillar problem with my chest, and training can offset this. I'm about 6'0" and weigh 200, at about 15% body fat. In the past, even when I dropped to 185, I was still unsatisfied with the shape and look of my chest (I hate using the word, "man-****" <g>).

What has worked for me is chest flyers and chest pull overs. Bench presses and push ups develop the thickness of the chest, which is counterproductive, in this case. Chest fliers and chest pullovers tend to develop the width of the chest without adding thickness, which overall leads to a better, more muscular looking chest. In addition, widening the chest makes the waist look comprably smaller. I also suggest using lighter weight and higher reps, preferably whatever weight you can do sets of at least 12 reps with.

I'm not making any guarantees, but these workouts worked miracles for me.

As for the shoulders, I suggest shoulder flies and front shoulder lifts, again, with sets of at least 12 reps.

Last edited by moderator2; 04-26-2004 at 03:35 PM. Reason: Please carefully read, know and follow the Healthboards.com Policies and Guidelines. Click on FAQ at the top left of this page. Thank you!

Old 04-18-2004, 09:27 PM   #4

never2L8 HB User

If the "man boobs" you are referring to are simply fat deposits, make sure you do enough cardio work to help lose the fat. For upper chest and shoulders, try incline bench press with dumbells or barbell, lateral raises, shoulder presses etc. Possibly still work the lower chest with high reps, low weights to keep the muscles active. Maybe close grip lat pulldowns, chinups, seated rows, T-Bar rows, dumbell rows etc, to target the back.

BTW, I have read there is a condition that affects some men in that they actually do have "breasts" and these can be surgically removed. I read that the way to tell the difference is that fatty deposits are soft while actual "male breasts" are hard lumps.

Old 04-19-2004, 03:36 AM   #5

Boots_N_Braces HB User

Indeed Cardio is the only way to get rid of fat.

Decline benches would help solidify the lower pectorals though. Various grip benchpresses as well. Remember in benching don't just extend the arms, but go further, where you get your shoulders off the bench, that's when you really work the mid chest.

Closed Thread