It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-18-2004, 06:05 PM   #1

Illuminator HB User
Stretching help

I've asked this question at many places, and have gotten many varied answers. I understand that everyone's body is different, but i'm hoping that maybe i could get a could clarified answer from here.

With stretching, how long should someone hold a stretch? Also, is it better to do stretches in reps (e.g. hold for one minute, rest for 15 seconds, hold for another minute, etc.) or go all at once. Some people say that you should hold it for longer than a minute to achieve maximum flexibility, but at what point is it just too much?

Any assistance would be really appreciated. thank you

Old 04-18-2004, 06:24 PM   #2

tah4349 HB User
Re: Stretching help

I know in yoga we move in progressions. You won't achieve your max flexibility if you just push into it and stay there forever. In some poses we hold them for 5 long breaths, release, then move back again. In each attempt at the pose you're able to more farther and farther into it because you start relaxing more. Unless it's a pose that as you sit in it without moving you're able to move deeper into it (by force of gravity) we have to release and move back for a second or third try. I don't know if that would help you answer your question, though!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-18-2004, 07:14 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

Evl316 HB User

I asked my chiropractor this very question a few weeks ago. He's well versed in that sort of thing having taken 3 years post graduate in sports medicine. He told me just as you've found that everyone has a different opinion on it. He told me to hold a stretch for around 10 seconds which is the amount of time you need to burn the fuel in the muscle and then hold it for maybe another few seconds so 15 seconds max then release the stretch and stretch further. This would fall in line with what the previous poster said regarding yoga. My chiropractor beleives holding the stretch for 60+ seconds is actually going to tighten the muscles rather than loosen them or at the very least not be as effective as the scenerio I just described. Hope that helps.

Old 04-19-2004, 02:11 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(male)

Endorphin Junky HB User

Generally, you need to hold a stretch for 10-15 secs to maintain flexibility, or increase the time to 30-60 secs if you're trying to increase flexibility.

Old 04-19-2004, 12:38 PM   #5

Illuminator HB User

Thanks for the help. Looks like i'm gonna try doing reps of stretches instead of just one big one. probably 3 reps, of one minute, with a rest between each

one question though

when doing a stretch, during the rest phase after your rep, do you maintain the stretch position but at a neutral point, or do you physically get out of the stretch and shake it off?

Closed Thread