It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-19-2004, 07:39 PM   #1
(male)

david82165 HB User
Need Fitness Training Help!

Hello,

My wife is going to be training for a marathon. I would like to train with her, however I have bad knees and cannot run. I would like to train on the bike or
step machines. Can anybody help with a training schedule. How much cardio should I do? How long? How many days? I basicaaly would be training for a bycycle marathon.

Any help is appreciated.

Thank you

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2004, 07:46 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User
Re: Need Fitness Training Help!

For marathons, you're training for endurance... so you want to work up to getting close the the time that you would be spending in the race. What is your current fitness level? Do you exercise at all right now? Are you actually going to participate in a race or are you just training with your wife?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2004, 08:01 AM   #3
(male)

david82165 HB User

I work out about 3 times a week. Light weights and aboit 30 minutes of cardio on the step machines or bike. I am not going to participate in the race, however I want to train with by wife.

Old 04-20-2004, 12:53 PM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

OK... so you're already fairly fit. That's going to be tremendously helpful. Basically you need to just train for longer durations. I'd keep doing a little resistance training to maintain overall muscle mass and health, but for the goal of the "marathon", you could pretty much just try to keep up the pace and duration of your wife. You may want to work at a slightly lower intensity when you pass the 45 minute mark so you can maintain for a longer period. Since fat loss isn't the goal, you may also want to bring a sports drink to sip on to replenish carbs and electrolytes. Training 3x a week is fine, but if you start to feel excessively fatigued or sore, allow for a little more recovery time and just skip a session. And don't forget to stretch well before and after. Will help to prevent injury and loosen you up. Good luck to both of you!

Closed Thread