It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2004, 11:20 AM   #1

mzmuppet HB User
Unhappy How long before can I expect to see results?

Hi There,

I'm new to this forum and have had a look at the various postings but found nothing similar to what I would like to know.

I am a 22 yr old female. I am approx. 1,74m tall and weigh 69 kg's. I go to the gym every morning and do cardio for about an hour and then strength training for about 45 mins. I've only been working out for a short time now but the most distressing this has happened. I have been eating healthily (fruit salad, salads, no take aways etc) but my clothes are tighter on me now than they were before I started going to the gym. Is there a reason for this?

Also, I would like to know if I carry on going to the gym every morning Mon-Fri, how long will it be before I start to see muscle tone, start firming up and drop a dress size or two?

Thank you for your help

Mz M

Last edited by mzmuppet; 04-20-2004 at 11:22 AM.

Old 04-20-2004, 12:08 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User
Re: How long before can I expect to see results?

Everyone is different so it's impossible to tell you how long it will take. Sometimes people see results in a couple weeks, some see results after a month or so (if they stay consistent). How long have you been doing this? List your workout and diet as precisely as you can (include what you eat, how much and when). We'll see if theres something that can be changed to get you on your way as quickly as possible... or if you just need to ride it out and keep it up.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2004, 01:34 AM   #3

chloe_girl HB User

I wondered about this myself recenty as I had been working out with a personal trainer 3 times a week for 5 weeks without much to show for it. In fact I actually gained weight which was demoralising. Anyway last night my PT did a body fat assessment. The results were better than I thought. I've lost 4 pounds of fat and gained four pounds of muscle. The PT says it will take two to three months to achieve a noticeable difference in my body shape so I'm sticking with it

Five days a weeks seems a lot to be doing weights. Are you doing the same routine every day? the cardio is fine but its best to give the muscles a rest day between weight training. You could do your upper body one day and lower body the next.

Anyway keep it up the results will come. Watch the diet too - don't fall into the trap of thinking you can eat anythig and still get results. Eat healthy and watch the portion sizes and you should be ok.

Keep us updated on how you're getting on.

Old 04-21-2004, 06:33 AM   #4

mzmuppet HB User

How long have you been doing this? List your workout and diet as precisely as you can (include what you eat, how much and when).

Wow,

I am so impressed! Thanks for the support. I was expecting a not-so-personal response. I really appreciate it!

Well, here's my routine:

I go to the gym and do:

10 minutes on the bike
stretch
12 minutes on the treadmill
10 minutes on the rowing machine
10 minutes on the cross trainer
stretch
3 x 8 reps leg curl
3 x 8 reps leg extension
3 x 8 reps leg adductor
3 x 8 reps other leg thingy (the one where you squeeze your legs together on a gynae chair look-alike machine)
3 x 8 reps lat pulldown
3 x 8 reps shoulder press ups
3 x 8 reps another arm machine, you push away the bar

I'm not quite sure what the machines are called, these are all the exercises I do though.

I eat fruit salad and yoghurt / dried berry muesli for breakfast
either pita bread with lettuce, cheese, chicken or pasta and mince based topping for lunch
same for dinner, depending on how hungry I am. i also eat a small salad occasionally.

On weekends I don't go to the gym and sometimes don't go out. when this happens I usually end up cheating and eating biscuits or a doughnut or something, but not during the week.

I drink quite a lot of tea and coffee during the day though. My working hours are such that I only get home at nine and end up eating dinner at around 9:30.

I am also a smoker.

Any advice would be good. Thanks for your help.

Last edited by mzmuppet; 04-21-2004 at 06:45 AM.

Old 04-21-2004, 07:12 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

The workout looks pretty good and well rounded as long as you're not working too light. If you can do 8 reps with little effort, either add reps (10-15 range) or up the weight.

The diet might be your downfall. You need more protein, especially since you are working out, as protein builds and maintains muscle. Rule of thumb is 1g per pound of bodyweight (give or take). It also looks quite possible that you aren't getting enough calories. You need to be getting at least 10x bodyweight (in US pounds) in calories each day or your body hangs in a "starvation mode" where it will use up muscle for fuel and hang onto fat because it senses it is being deprived. This will kill your metabolism and leave you in a rut. Just so you know for sure, keep a food journal for a few days and note everything you eat (including drinks and condiments like sugar and cream in coffee) and then figure out how many calories and how much protein you're getting - there is a USDA .gov website that lists calories and nutrients in a database if you are eating something that doesn't have the info on the label. It sounds like a pain, but it will be very valuable toward figuring out where things can be changed to help you with your goals.
Don't fret too much about "cheating" if you limit it to one day. I think everyone who is very good about dieting all week needs to have one day to indulge. It keeps the metabolism up after 5-6 days of caloric deficit and it's good for the soul. (not to go over the top, but so you don't feel deprived).

Also, I'd recommend quitting smoking. Of course. It will help your body work more efficiently, including fat burning and muscle maintenance. Smoking is a lot like putting sugar in a gas tank. All it does is clog up the works. I'm sure you've heard all the health arguments before, so I won't bore you with it. Just know that your body would thank you...

Old 04-23-2004, 07:06 AM   #6

mzmuppet HB User

Thanks for that.

I do eat protein, chicken or minced beef. haven't been eating too much of it lately though.

will keep the diary.

Thanks for the advice, will contact again if i need more advice

Mz Muppet

Old 04-23-2004, 02:46 PM   #7

Lupus HB User

My immediate reaction is that the cardio followed immediately by weights has to go. Either swap one of them to evenings, or, preferably, do them on different days. At most, I'd start with a cardio warmup pre-weights of 5 or 10 minutes.

Next I'd swap all this cardio for 20-30 minutes of HIIT on one machine (trade off from one day to the next if you wish), 2-3 days a week.

Your body is going to need some time to rest. If you're doing that routine every day, it's not going to get that time. I'd also switch from machines to free weights wherever possible.

Where are the snacks?

Old 04-25-2004, 03:43 PM   #8

slnr232 HB User

ya i agree with what the other people say. I think that you might need to eat more.. it sounds like your starving yourself... and you know that weight is gonna try its hardest to stay on when its hungry. you are really dedicated and stuff, but eat some more meals inbetween.. and some more protein. good luck

Old 04-26-2004, 09:59 AM   #9
Inactive

joquiero HB User

This is what helps me;

- cut down on carbs but still eat a good deal of food
- do mini workouts through the day, a few lunges here, a few leg raises there - keep your body burning all the time.
- when you're working out ask youself "on a scale of 1-10, how much effort am i REALLY putting it" I've spent years going to gyms and watching the same people day after day hardly break a sweat and be dying to ask them "why are you wasting your time putting in such a half assed effort? you may as well stay home and watch tv" I know this may seem harsh, but unless you're sweating like a pig and gasping for breath, you're not working hard enough.

Also, regarding weight GAIN, you're probably just getting rid of that fat but buliding up muscle - which weighs more.

Old 04-26-2004, 02:57 PM   #10

Used2BScooterTX HB User

I agree with Lupus regarding the cardio/workout regimen. Looks like your workouts are too long, for the diet you describe.

Also, Naxis is right on-- you need more protien in your diet. Specifically, you need to get more protien immediately after your workout, when your body is starving for it. Otherwise, your body will break down muscle to provide fuel to your body.

Any lean meat, eggs, and tuna are all good sources found in natural foods. Or, you might want to try a protien supplement shake. Per serving, protien shakes are actually much cheaper than the whole food alternatives.

Old 04-28-2004, 02:54 AM   #11

chloe_girl HB User

Results take time. I have been working out 3 times a week with the help of a personal trainer for 6 weeks now and still can see no change in my body. Ny body fat has dropped and muscle has increased according to the sclaes but my shape hasn't changed and my clothes don't feel any looser. I think there are no easy solutions. These things take time. Hopefully in another few weeks i will see results.

Closed Thread