It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-20-2004, 08:00 PM   #1

TrBoRsx34 HB User
Question Can Exercise stunt growth?

I'm 14 at 5'9" and weigh about 165. does anyone know if by runnin for 20 min a day on a tredmill and doin sit ups, pull ups, and push ups will stunt my growth. and also doing basketball for about a 30min to 60min. Also what other things can i do that wont stunt my growth but still loose fat and tone muscles.

Old 04-20-2004, 08:22 PM   #2
Senior Veteran

Evl316 HB User
Re: Can Exercise stunt growth?

Typically for a male that has gone through puberty the bones in the body have hardened and exercise should not cause any problem in stunting growth. If a male hasn't gone through puberty yet and the bones are still somewhat soft you can still exercise and resistance type exercises as you mentioned should be fine and the running and basketball are fine too. You should be doing all those things at your age so keep doing them.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-20-2004, 08:52 PM   #3
(male)

Gene123 HB User

Excercise will not stunt your growth. Thats mostly false. Instead the stuff your doing (pull ups, running etc.) may promote growth. Adding in weight training can also help growth, but if you weigh train improperly or overtrain and injure yourself then that can probably stunt growth otherwise no excercise will not stunt your growth. So keep doing what your doing.

Old 04-20-2004, 09:14 PM   #4

never2L8 HB User

I don't believe that it can stunt growth, otherwise any promising basketballer would be told not to do or play any sport until they were 18 or so. Or...... perhaps a 7 foot basketballer in his 20's might have been 7 foot 4 inches if he had not played the game in his teens...... I beleive physical activity actually assists physical development - not necessarily height - in children rather than harms it. Harm can only come, as the previous poster says, when you push yourself too hard. This harm would usually shows up as fatigue, illness or muscle/joint problems rather than growth problems.

Old 04-21-2004, 08:08 AM   #5
Senior Veteran

Evl316 HB User

I've heard some discussion on this issue by so called "experts". What they've said is that prior to puberty the bones in the body are soft or softer than when a person reaches puberty. So it's said that being on a heavy duty weight lifting routine pre puberty can possibly stunt growth but we're talking heavy duty powerlifting/bodybuilding type stuff and not resistance training, running, sports and the like. So according to experts there is a risk of stunting growth but only with really intense high level weight lifting prior to puberty. But as for all the other exercises it's definately a good thing for young kids.

Closed Thread