It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2004, 03:32 AM   #1

kevinp HB User
I've been lifting weights but get no mass

Hi,

I've been lifting weights for about 3-4 years now. I've gained roughly 20lbs since I started out (180cm, 160lbs went to 180lbs) using a limited amount of supplements (went on cell-tech once, haven't used supps in a year). I really wanna hit 200lbs but I can't seem to get past 180.

I've seriously been contemplating on taking some prohormones (Ergopharm 1-AD) but after reading some of the posts here, I'm thinking of going back to the creatine+protein way. Some people say that prohormones are just hype, others say they work wonders. Others say the same about protein (I read somewhere that whey is no better than the proteins found in meat, milk, peanuts, etc.). When I used creatine, I lost most, if not all of the gains I made a couple of weeks after I finished my bottle of Cell-Tech.

Any suggestions would be appreciated

By the way, I go to the gym roughly 4 times a week working out each body part no more than once a week. I also do some cardio 3x a week to get rid of the fats around my waist.

Additional question: Is it possible to bulk up/add mass and burn fat (through cardio, not fat burners) at the same time or do I have to add mass first before going on a fat-burning cycle?

Right now, I'm not getting past 180 although I can still see some improvements to my physique (muscles continue to get more definition and look bigger even though I still weigh 180 constantly). I still dream of reaching 200 though.

Thanks.

Last edited by kevinp; 04-21-2004 at 03:35 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-21-2004, 07:46 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User
Re: I've been lifting weights but get no mass

For one thing, your routine might be getting stale. Your body might have adapted. Try taking a week off, or change your split, change your rep/set or do drop sets, or pyramids. A lot of possibilities there.

Might also be diet related. If you're gaining fat, you're probably eating enough, but you might want to work on the timing of feedings to maximize muscle and minimize fat. Maybe take a couple weeks to cut and then go back to bulking clean so you can work on adding muscle while keeping lean. It is possible to add some muscle and lose some fat at the same time, but you won't see dramatic, fast results in either direction if that's how you want to go (and you will have to be meticulous with diet).

Most supplements are useless. You don't, in fact, need whey. If you get enough protein from real food, you're golden. It can be convenient and good for post workout shakes, but certainly not necessary. Anything that meddles with hormones in a more or less direct way makes me nervous in a "possible-long-term-problems" kind of way, but that's entirely your decision. Creatine works for some people, not for others. There's pitifully little research about it so again, you're kind of on your own on whether it does anything for you. So that's my $0.02 - Good luck, man.

Old 04-21-2004, 10:49 AM   #3

CAPiTUH HB User

from my experience, weight plateaus have always been diet related. if you aren't gaining weight, whether it be fat or muscle, you simply aren't eating enough.

the type of cardio that you are doing could also be an issue. if you do a lot of med-intensity cardio or cardio on an empty stomach you are sacrificing muscle.

try adding 500 calories to your diet and changing your cardio routine if necessary (perhaps drop the cardio all together). if after a week you don't see any gains, add another 500 calories. you might get a little soft in the short term, but it's practically impossible to gain mass without gaining a little fat along with it.

i agree with naxis about the supplements. get your diet in order before you start thinking about supplements.

Old 04-21-2004, 06:36 PM   #4

kevinp HB User

Thanks for the replies.

I actually just started doing cardio a couple of weeks ago since I want to get rid of some fat around my lower back and thighs. Maybe I'll try to stick to medium-intensity 30-min sessions 3x a week.

I actually don't follow a particular routine on any day. I just cycle the bodyparts that I work out but don't follow a particular routine (i.e. Bench press then dumbbell press, then dumbbell flyes). I just use whatever weights/machines/stations at the gym are free at any particular time since my gym gets to be quite crowded in the evening. Having said that, I still try to follow a general rule: Compound exercises before isolation exercises. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think that the way I work out won't really push my body into a comfort zone. Also, the fact that I experience soreness after almost every workout seems to me like an indicator that my mucles were shocked by the previous night's gym session.

Closed Thread