It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2004, 03:23 PM   #1

Evad HB User
Getting muscel/basic bodybuilding info/right foods.

Hi,so basically im a 17 year old 9 stone 3 weaklin.Sick off walking down the street and being scared to do anything that might upset someone else.

I dont want a big body to get the girls or to walk around the streets hitting anyone that looks at me funny,i want to look good and know i can defend myself and my friends should it come to it.

Firstly,you heard my weight,my usual tea/evening meal is a pathetic chips and fish fingers or whatever,What should i eat to gain weight properlly and effectivly? i need to know a good daily diet sort of thing.

Secondly i plan to enroll at the gym when i on saturday with a friend,any advice on what muscels i should work on first?

i went to a school gym when i was 14-15 for a few weeks and i'd pretty much use one machine/thingy untill i was worn out and could do no more.

Is that the best way to go about it, or should i do mediumish weights steadily?

I do push ups/sit ups and use dumb bells before i sleep (only recently started)

How many off each should i do aproxx a night? i suppose it depends on me right?

thirdly i didnt post here for idiots too call me a tosser or flame me,if u carnt advise me or say anything nice please dont say anything at all.

any other advice welcome

thanks in advance,Dan.

Old 04-21-2004, 09:04 PM   #2
Inactive

Laurie2 HB User
Re: Getting muscel/basic bodybuilding info/right foods.

First, welcome!

Second. Eat 5-6 small meals aday (about 3 hours apart). Up your protein intake...try for one gram per one pound of lean body mass, if you can. So fish is fine but not overly breaded and deepfat fried.

Lower your carbs (cut the refined/overprocessed carbohydrates. Eat more complex ones....more veggies, whole grains..that sort of thing). So potatoes are fine but in moderation. Not necessarily deepfat fried though. But some fats/oils are needed and good for you but too much is not. Nuts/Olive Oil/flaxseed oil...are examples of good fats.

Drink plenty of water and cut any sugary drinks.

Workouts.

A three day "split" is a good beginning. Monday/Wednesday/Friday or whatever works for you. Do this for an hour to 90 minutes each session is enough. For strength, it is moderately heavy weights 4 sets of 10-12 reps. Rest a minute inbetween sets. For mass, it is slightly heavier weights at 4 sets of 6-8 reps and rest abit longer inbetween. You can do cardio inbetween on days not lifting or just after as a "cooldown". The split is to let your body rest inbetween and repair/build muscle. Your metabolism will be increased and energy as well.

Example of a "Three day split" workout:

Stretch

Warmup

Bench press: This is one of the major compound exercises that work the chest/bicep and triceps.
Incline press
Flyes (isolation)
Bicep Curls
Tricep pushdowns
Tricep overhead extensions

Workout Day 2

Stretch and Warmup first

Squats: This is one of the major compound exercises that works most of the body's muscles including legs, hamstrings and glutes. Shoulder, back and arms too.
These are considered "isolation leg exercises" to do inconjunction with squats or by themselves:
Leg Press
Leg Curls
Leg Extensions

Lunges
Calf presses

Workout Day 3
Stretch and warmup first

Lat pulldowns to chest
Bentover Dumbbell Rows
Shoulder press
Lateral raises

Ab crunches.

This is my basic workout program from a college strength class I took for a year. . My instructor was a local wrestling coach and bodybuilder. There are some alternative and isolation exercises to work muscles more but this is a basic workout you can start with.

Do as many of the sets/reps as you can...if you cannot complete them. That's ok...you will find the next time you will be stronger and can do more. Do not expect results right off....it takes time to build up muscle. Give yourself, at least, 6 to 8 weeks....three months is best. By then, depending on your rate of progress......you will see changes. I was 50 when I started this program and was overweight. I lost 60 pounds of bodyfat and gained strength..both which I wanted.

You are young and as a young man have the testosterone to build yourself up quite well. Just take your time, have patience and be determined. The "rush" is great!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2004, 08:09 AM   #3

Evad HB User

Well,wow,thanks for that very detailed reply,it is apreciated even if i carnt spell the word

Can you tell me more specific foods? I use to be eating 3 packets off crisps per day cans off danta/coke etc/ mircrowave meals meals and all this,which of course was not the best diet or most likely one off the worst

Just tell me a few foods i should eat,i dont know but pasta is good am i right?

Old 04-22-2004, 10:05 AM   #4

Alias HB User

Hi I am also 17. This is what is good. Chicken breasts, flak steaks, tuna, protein shakes, pasta you should kinda stay away from, limit it to once a week, unless your trying to gain some weight. Eat oatmeal, salad, sweet potatoes. Vegitables, fruits(not juices). egg whites, london broil, salmon fillet, pork tenderloin, asparagus. These foods are helping me to get to my goals of being a fit healthy man.

Old 04-22-2004, 01:46 PM   #5

Evad HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alias
Hi I am also 17. This is what is good. Chicken breasts, flak steaks, tuna, protein shakes, pasta you should kinda stay away from, limit it to once a week, unless your trying to gain some weight. Eat oatmeal, salad, sweet potatoes. Vegitables, fruits(not juices). egg whites, london broil, salmon fillet, pork tenderloin, asparagus. These foods are helping me to get to my goals of being a fit healthy man.
Yeah,i am also trying to gain weight,but i eat everything in the house and dont gain anything or it doesent show where i want it too.Thanks for the food list,not heard a few off tose things but im sure it will be interesting to try..

Also another question,there is these things in like asda etc where u buy the box for say 2 quid and u fill it with paste annd things,you kno what i mean..are these good? there is things like Olives,paste,carrets and all sorts off things...you might just think im talking jibberish but if you know what i mean then..cool.

Old 04-22-2004, 02:51 PM   #6

TWilliams82 HB User

Pasta is very high in carbs, which don't contribute to muscle gain. Meat is what you want. Chicken especially. Chicken liver is very high in protein, if you like that. Fish is good, as is beef and pork. Protein protein protein. Also, try oatmeal (whole grain, not instant), beans of all types, eggs, and lots and lots of milk. All of these things are good for building muscle mass. Living in a rural area of the southeastern USA, I've found that squirrel, rabbit and deer are extremely high in protein, but I'm not sure if these meats would be easily accessible to you.

Unfortunately, I have no idea how much a "stone" is, so I can't tell you how much in the way of calories in protein you actually need.

As for a workout, here is my suggestion. This is one of the workouts I use, and my personal favourite. It's designed for rugby players, to build overall strength, speed and explosive power.

I started this workout when I was already an experiened, strong weightlifter, and I still hurt myself the first few weeks. Be very careful, use good form, and do NOT try to use heavy weights at first.

However, I also put on 10 pounds of solid muscle in the first three weeks, which was pretty impressive for my muscular 6' (1.82 meter), 195 (88 kilogram) frame.

Last edited by moderator2; 04-26-2004 at 03:25 PM. Reason: Please carefully read, know and follow the Healthboards.com Policies and Guidelines. Click on FAQ at the top left of this page. Thank you!

Old 04-23-2004, 02:26 AM   #7
Inactive

Laurie2 HB User

In English weights, a "stone" is 14 pounds? Right?

TWilliam has given you some good food examples of what to eat. In England, mutton and lamb (defatted as much as possible) is good too as a protein source.

Old 04-23-2004, 04:12 AM   #8

Evad HB User

Okay,Thanks too everyone who replyed,it is good to get well informed replys from people will to help others,its very nice especially in todays i cant be arsed world.

With say 3-4 sessions off 2-3 hours how longwould it take before i notice an increase in power and strength? I do relise im not going to gain muscels overnight..its just an off-putting when you do somthing and dont notice an increasement,not talking about a vast increase just slowly but surely

Thanks ill try eat a lot more chicken and less tv dinners =p

thanks,
Dan.

Last edited by Evad; 04-23-2004 at 04:14 AM.

Old 04-23-2004, 07:30 PM   #9

TWilliams82 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evad
Okay,Thanks too everyone who replyed,it is good to get well informed replys from people will to help others,its very nice especially in todays i cant be arsed world.

With say 3-4 sessions off 2-3 hours how longwould it take before i notice an increase in power and strength? I do relise im not going to gain muscels overnight..its just an off-putting when you do somthing and dont notice an increasement,not talking about a vast increase just slowly but surely

Thanks ill try eat a lot more chicken and less tv dinners =p

thanks,
Dan.

If you eat right, workout hard and most importantly, rest well, you can expect a gain in strength within the first few weeks. Mass takes longer, but keep working, and it will happen.

Old 04-24-2004, 04:51 AM   #10

Evad HB User

Ok,one last question and i'm done,Probs

Ok i read about a glass off milk containing 8 grams of protein and things like this i have a chart..

How much protein should i take in each day weather im lifting or not,im 17 and weigh 9 stone 3 and i THINK its 14 pounds to a stone.

thanks a lot

Last edited by Evad; 04-24-2004 at 04:51 AM.

Old 04-24-2004, 09:11 AM   #11

Exile HB User

"With say 3-4 sessions off 2-3 hours how longwould it take before i notice an increase in power and strength?"

This is a bit too much. For weightlifting, you should only be taking about an hour, to an hour and a half in the weight room. Four days a week is good, but if you lift too much in one day, it may start to be counter productive.

Old 04-25-2004, 04:21 AM   #12

Evad HB User

Thanks and yes i was lifting too much,i can hardly move my left arm for the arches and pains,lol but you learn from your mistakes dont you

edit : learn

Last edited by Evad; 04-25-2004 at 04:22 AM.

Old 04-25-2004, 11:49 AM   #13

TWilliams82 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evad
Thanks and yes i was lifting too much,i can hardly move my left arm for the arches and pains,lol but you learn from your mistakes dont you

edit : learn

lol, yeah, we all hurt ourselves sometimes. For the first week I was lifting for overall power (I was 15 at the time) I could barely move my shoulders for the first week, not to mention the lower back pain, and a slightly torn bicep. But, I fought through the pain and lifted anyway (very carefully), and I got better.

That which does not kill you only makes you stronger. lol

Old 04-26-2004, 08:32 AM   #14

Evad HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by TWilliams82
lol, yeah, we all hurt ourselves sometimes. For the first week I was lifting for overall power (I was 15 at the time) I could barely move my shoulders for the first week, not to mention the lower back pain, and a slightly torn bicep. But, I fought through the pain and lifted anyway (very carefully), and I got better.

That which does not kill you only makes you stronger. lol
lol yeah it stopped yesturday,i lifted dumb bells at home and now its started again lol.God im stupid,but damn i'm cool lol

Closed Thread