It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-21-2004, 07:51 PM   #1

Wubby HB User
Possible for tummy to feel bigger because of muscle build-up?

I am just wondering if it is possible for my belly to feel fatter, even though I have been dieting for almost a month & regularly exercising for a little over a month? Could it be a possibility that my belly feels bigger because of my working out? (I do work on my abs in almost all my exercises) But could a little over 1 months work of exercise increase my abs to the point of making my belly feel/look a bit fatter? Any input on this would be great, thanks!!

-kade

Old 04-22-2004, 01:50 PM   #2

TWilliams82 HB User
Re: Possible for tummy to feel bigger because of muscle build-up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wubby
I am just wondering if it is possible for my belly to feel fatter, even though I have been dieting for almost a month & regularly exercising for a little over a month? Could it be a possibility that my belly feels bigger because of my working out? (I do work on my abs in almost all my exercises) But could a little over 1 months work of exercise increase my abs to the point of making my belly feel/look a bit fatter? Any input on this would be great, thanks!!

-kade

Yes, this is entirely possible. Many weightlifters have big bellies, and with most of them, it's not a matter of fat, it's just a buildup of muscle.

My advice is, NEVER do weighted ab workouts if you want lean or toned abs, and want to avoid a belly. Go very high rep rather than adding weight. Other than that, the only way to improve the abs is to lose bodyfat.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-22-2004, 02:10 PM   #3

Wubby HB User

what exactly do you mean by weighted ab workouts? I just do crunches, sit-ups, things like that. Thanks

-kade

Old 04-22-2004, 02:27 PM   #4

TWilliams82 HB User

Quote:
what exactly do you mean by weighted ab workouts? I just do crunches, sit-ups, things like that. Thanks

-kade
Weighted means any workout using any external weights or resistance other than your own bodyweight. Weighted crunches would be crunches with a weight on your chest, or on a Bowflex or other machine holding cables for additional resistance.

My only other suggestions are two workouts; oblique bar twists and bench leg lifts. For bench leg lifts, lie on a bench (or table) with your legs off the end, slightly bent at the knees. Do leg lifts, making sure to concentrate on a long stretch of your lower abs. If not overdone this tends to elongate the abs and slim the waist.

For the bar twists, hold a bar over your shoulders with your arms over the top of it. Keeping your hips locked, twist your body to each side, alternating left and right. Make sure to twist far enough to feel a good stretch in your obliques.

Old 04-22-2004, 08:04 PM   #5

Wubby HB User

hey, thanks for clearing that up for me. Well, from what you explained, I never do weighted ab workouts. I will try what you suggested though, thanks again, I appreciate the help!

-kade

Old 04-23-2004, 12:09 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

rita HB User

Quote:

-kade
It actually doesn't sound as tough your tummy feels bigger from the ab workouts. It would be highly unlikely to get that much of muscle growth with crunches, etc., within one month's time.
In my opinion, your bigger tummy may be caused by either your diet or a physical condition. First of all, examine the types of foods you have been eating the last months. Do you eat a lot of fiber rich foods, drink carbonated beverages, milk products (you may be lactose intolerant)? All these foods produce gas in the intenstines which will cause your tummy to bulge.
If your diet is not the culprit, then a physical condition may be causing the problem. There are a number of possibilities so I think it would be best to see your doctor for advice if your condition does not improve within a short time.

Old 04-23-2004, 02:33 PM   #7

Wubby HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by rita
It actually doesn't sound as tough your tummy feels bigger from the ab workouts. It would be highly unlikely to get that much of muscle growth with crunches, etc., within one month's time.
In my opinion, your bigger tummy may be caused by either your diet or a physical condition. First of all, examine the types of foods you have been eating the last months. Do you eat a lot of fiber rich foods, drink carbonated beverages, milk products (you may be lactose intolerant)? All these foods produce gas in the intenstines which will cause your tummy to bulge.
If your diet is not the culprit, then a physical condition may be causing the problem. There are a number of possibilities so I think it would be best to see your doctor for advice if your condition does not improve within a short time.
Hey there, for a month I have been on a diet, no soda, no sweets, healthy stuff. I exercise about 4-5 times a week as well. Today it doesn't feel quite as big, so I may have been bloated. Who knows.

-kade

Old 04-23-2004, 04:38 PM   #8

amity6 HB User

i noticed the same thing happen to me when i first started working out. relatively quickly my stomach seemed to get bigger, although i was eating right and exercising. i'm not positive about it but my idea is that the muscle probably adds on faster than the fat comes off. for me it eventually went away, but honestly i think a lot of it was in my head. you're working so hard to get in shape that if your stomach grows a little it looks far bigger to you than it really is. it's discouraging but just remember that every bit of muscle you put on increases your metabolism and makes losing fat that much easier.

Old 04-23-2004, 07:34 PM   #9

slnr232 HB User

Like twilliams said, it is entirely possible. But I am so dumb about this stuff I will just tell you what happened from my own experience. When I first started working out that happened to me too. My stomach was always bloated and I felt even fatter. I think it is just the beginning of the "stages" of working out, because now I don't have that problem. Just keep working out. I increased my workout schedule and focused ALOT more on cardio instead of stomach excercises and it helped.Good Luck, I hope this helped. - jayce

Old 04-26-2004, 08:08 AM   #10
Veteran
(female)

cuddledumplin HB User

If you don't "suck it in" when you do crunches, you get hard muscles on the outside (instead of inside) remember that annoying mantra from workout videos: "Keep your navel pulled towards your spine."

Old 04-26-2004, 08:09 AM   #11
Veteran
(female)

cuddledumplin HB User

I also try to wait for a few hours after a meal to do abdominal exercises because it's harder to "suck it in" if your tummy is full.

Closed Thread