It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-23-2004, 05:05 PM   #1

amity6 HB User
Question healthy vegetarian diet in a dorm?

i'm living on campus eating pretty much exclusively at a dining hall, where my only vegetarian choices are tofu with white rice, pasta, and cheese sandwiches. i run about 3 miles a day and throw in weight training every other day but i think my diet is really holding me back. with so few food choices i often skip meals, and when i do eat it's a high carb cheesy mess with very little protein. i don't have a refridgerator or a kitchen and at the moment the only thing i make myself is microwave oatmeal and easymac (not too healthy i know). does anybody have any ideas for what i can keep around the dorm to eat healthy? i'm about to resort to meal replacement bars.

Last edited by amity6; 04-23-2004 at 05:07 PM.

Old 04-23-2004, 06:26 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User
Re: healthy vegetarian diet in a dorm?

That's a sticky situation. Unfortunately, you're gonna have to make due with what you have until you have better options... and I remember how bad dorm food sucked. We did have a salad bar, though, so fresh veggies were available. The mini fridge was the best investment I made. Until then, if you can still buy your own food, keep some nuts handy, or natural nut butter (but limit that because calories from the fat can add up fast). Boxes or bags of beans and rice that you can just nuke when you're hungry. Or keep cans of beans - non perishable stuff rules. Whey powder might also be a good investment so that you can still eat some of the carby foods and use the whey to add in the protein you're missing from real food. Also good for class schedules so you can just keep it with you and drink it when you have a chance. I can't think of anything else off the top of my head...

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-23-2004, 07:31 PM   #3

amity6 HB User

those are some great suggestions. i didn't even think of nuts, i could definately use the boost in protein. thanks!

Old 04-23-2004, 07:59 PM   #4

sarah1000 HB User

There are some really tasty veggie "add water" soups out there from Fantastic foods that usually have a good amount of protein too, in my local store they sell for about $1.19, which isn't bad if you can grab some salad bar veggies.

I know luna bars aren't the best choice, but i keep one handy almost all the time, it's better than nothing I guess.

If you have access to a microwave, those cans of veggie chili are cheap and a great side dish to pasta. Another idea is try whole grain stuff: quinoa, aramanth are both high in protein and you cook them like rice, and whole grain breads, whole wheat spagetti, brown rice will give you more nutrition than the white stuff (although the good stuff is not often found in the dining hall). I think there are some high protein cereals out there too, maybe a kashi brand or somthing, my generic grape nuts has six grams of protein per half cup, you can buy the little boxes of soymilk that has extra protein too!

I know it's difficult, having a microwave, oven and fridge has made being vegan so much easier, there are so many choices out there now!

Closed Thread