It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-25-2004, 02:03 PM   #1

Alias HB User
Can Powerlifters Be Cut And Defined

Yeah I am more interested in powerlifting than weight lifting but I would also like to be cut and defined. The powerlifters I see look mostly fat, is this possible. Can anyone give me a routine that can make this possible. Thanks

Old 04-25-2004, 02:55 PM   #2

TWilliams82 HB User
Re: Can Powerlifters Be Cut And Defined

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alias
Yeah I am more interested in powerlifting than weight lifting but I would also like to be cut and defined. The powerlifters I see look mostly fat, is this possible. Can anyone give me a routine that can make this possible. Thanks

It is entirely possible for a person who lifts for power to be cut. Cut has absolutely nothing to do with how or what you lift, it has to do with bodyfat. If you lift as a powerlifter, but follow a strict, low-fat/low carbohydrate/maintinence calorie diet, you will still have low bodyfat and, thus, will be cut.

However, competitive powerlifters are most certainly not fat. They are exceedingly muscular, and recognize the simple fact that it's not necessary to have 10% body fat, that's purely a cosmetic concern and has nothing whatsoever to do with functional strength.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2004, 07:28 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

Evl316 HB User
Re: Can Powerlifters Be Cut And Defined

Yeah, its possible to be cut and defined and be a powerlifter but you are walking a very fine line doing it. For most people when you cut and try to lose body fat you're going to lose some muscle along with it. Not a great deal but for a powerlifter any amount at all no matter how insignificant is too much. Also most powerlifters I've seen (the old stereotypical fat guys) are of the endomorphic type body and they tend to store more fat than other body types and they probably could try to cut down some body fat % but why? It won't help them lift more so what's the point other than cosmetic for them especially considering they'd have to be extremely careful not to lose any muscle in trying to cut down on the fat %. Although on the flip side I've seen a female olympic power lifter a while back and she looked fantastic. A pretty petite gal with very little fat and a great female body and she could really lift. From what I understand powerlifting is not only about strength but also form and attitude so there are a lot of components involved in it. I think nowadays you do see a lot more powerlifters that are cut then you did years ago.

Closed Thread