It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2004, 09:12 AM   #1
(male)

Gene123 HB User
I want to get stronger

I have been working out for about a month. I eat six meals a day, cut out all junk food ( no burgers, pop, choclate or anything that contains high sugar or fat.) I do cardio in the morning at 6 for 30 min. I workout 3 days a week at 3:30 for 75 to 90 min ( tuesday: Biceps, forearm, and back Thursday Legs and claves Saturday Chest triceps and deltoids) and work my abs 6 days a week. I do 6 sets of Bench press for my chest triceps and deltoids on saturday 10, 10, 8, 6, 8, 10. I do 6 sets of squats same as bench press and the same for the rest of the excercise expect for the 100 reps on standing calf machine. So basically work each body part with one excercise. I spread my meals through out the day from 7:30am to my last meal at 6 or 6:30pm. I weigh 133 pounds and have 9% bodyfat. I read that you must eat atleast 1.5 to 2 times your bdoy of protein to get bigger and stronger, but i find that amazingly hard to do. I only eat about 130-140 on workout days and about 105-115 on non workout days. I eat about 5 to 7 different fruits and vegetables and so most of my carbs are from fruits and veetables and bread, and i get about 1750 calories a day, It seems like work even to eat that many calories i dont know why. Some of this information may be uneccesary for this question but my question is

Will i be able to gain stregnth meaning will i still be able to increase the weight that i lift for each excercise even though i dont get that much protein?
I have already seen a little bit of gain in stregnth. I dont care if i gain muscle mass or not although I would be happy if i did and i dont care if i gain strength slowly, but i am just looking to get stronger and lift more weight than i do now.

Any advice or comments would be appreciated.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2004, 11:18 AM   #2

TWilliams82 HB User
Re: I want to get stronger

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaneshMiriyala
I have been working out for about a month. I eat six meals a day, cut out all junk food ( no burgers, pop, choclate or anything that contains high sugar or fat.) I do cardio in the morning at 6 for 30 min. I workout 3 days a week at 3:30 for 75 to 90 min ( tuesday: Biceps, forearm, and back Thursday Legs and claves Saturday Chest triceps and deltoids) and work my abs 6 days a week. I do 6 sets of Bench press for my chest triceps and deltoids on saturday 10, 10, 8, 6, 8, 10. I do 6 sets of squats same as bench press and the same for the rest of the excercise expect for the 100 reps on standing calf machine. So basically work each body part with one excercise. I spread my meals through out the day from 7:30am to my last meal at 6 or 6:30pm. I weigh 133 pounds and have 9% bodyfat. I read that you must eat atleast 1.5 to 2 times your bdoy of protein to get bigger and stronger, but i find that amazingly hard to do. I only eat about 130-140 on workout days and about 105-115 on non workout days. I eat about 5 to 7 different fruits and vegetables and so most of my carbs are from fruits and veetables and bread, and i get about 1750 calories a day, It seems like work even to eat that many calories i dont know why. Some of this information may be uneccesary for this question but my question is

Will i be able to gain stregnth meaning will i still be able to increase the weight that i lift for each excercise even though i dont get that much protein?
I have already seen a little bit of gain in stregnth. I dont care if i gain muscle mass or not although I would be happy if i did and i dont care if i gain strength slowly, but i am just looking to get stronger and lift more weight than i do now.

Any advice or comments would be appreciated.

My GOD, who told you to take in 2 times your bodyweight in protein grams!! Take in one gram per pound of lean bodyweight. For a 133 pound person, 150 is a massive amount of protein. Drop it to 120 or so, IMO.

I'm a 6'0", 200 pound weight lifter/informal powerlifter. I only take in 160-170 grams max.

That's plently of protein. So long as you work your muscles to exaustion and give them time to rest, you'll gain strength.

Old 04-26-2004, 12:05 PM   #3
Senior Veteran

Evl316 HB User

Your rep range is all wrong for gaining primarily strength. You want to be at a 1 to 4 rep range, not a 6 to 10 rep range.

Old 04-26-2004, 06:01 PM   #4
(male)

Gene123 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evl316
Your rep range is all wrong for gaining primarily strength. You want to be at a 1 to 4 rep range, not a 6 to 10 rep range.
Can i also get toned with a 1 - 4 rep range?

Old 04-26-2004, 07:13 PM   #5
Senior Veteran

Evl316 HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by GaneshMiriyala
Can i also get toned with a 1 - 4 rep range?
Getting toned is more of an issue of losing fat, not gaining or strengthening muscle. Starting out any rep range is going to help you get toned, add lean muscle and add strength but once those initial (just started working out) gains have been made you need to start getting specific with your workouts. Will that rep range (1 to 4) get you toned? No, not in itself but any type of exercise will help. Tone is just the normal elasticity of the muscle. Generally when people think of tone they are thinking of muscle definition which is all about lack of fat and that's mainly accomplished through a clean diet and cardio type exercise. Normally the athletes that are going for pure strength are not toned. How many powerlifters do you see that are cut? Most look like fat @$$e$ actually but are in fact extremely stong and powerful.

Generally this is how rep ranges are viewed and it varies slightly depending on who you talk too. Some may tweak those numbers here and there and this is just a general idea.

1 - 3 - Strength
4 - 7 Strength first then Size
8 - 11 Size first then Strength
12 - 18 Endurance

Old 04-26-2004, 09:11 PM   #6
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

Your protein sounds fine at 130-150g, but you definitely need more overall calories (and the adjustments suggested for training will help a lot as well) to put on muscle. Try to eat more calorie dense foods. Get some nuts or natural peanut butter or add some flax oil to shakes. Healthy fat is a great way to get in extra, clean calories. Also not terribly filling to include into your meals.

Old 04-26-2004, 11:22 PM   #7
(male)

Gene123 HB User

Ok to clear it all up about stregnth and toning.

If i lift in the 1-4 rep range and i do jogging in the morning for 30 min for 5 days a week, Will i get "toned" and stronger?

For the calories. How many carbs and fat do i need?

Old 05-06-2004, 03:11 PM   #8
Inactive
(male)

davelacb HB User

Ask any nutritionist you are only supposed to take one gram of protein of your weight in kilograms unless you are a hardcore bodybuilder. If you dont know your weight in kilograms take your weight in pounds and divide it by 2.2 its usually close to above half of your weight in pounds and if that sounds like to little ask a nutritionist and they will say any more will damage your kidneys in the long run.

Closed Thread