It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2004, 07:03 PM   #1
Inactive

SueKZ HB User
oops I forgot to ask...

Sorry to post again so soon....Is it smart to walk on the treadmill tomorrow if I am still really sore? Or is it better to rest another day?
Thanks!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2004, 08:58 PM   #2

tah4349 HB User
Re: oops I forgot to ask...

Hair of the dog that bit you, my friend. The reason you're so sore is the lactic acid has been built up and is sitting on your muscles. Burns, doesn't it? The longer you let the muscles sit, the longer they will hurt. Go back to the gym, do a moderate work out. As you start to move, you'll notice that you will loosen up and things won't hurt as much. Don't push yourself too hard too fast, but if you put several days between work outs, you'll never get past the "oh god it hurts!" stage. The treadmill at a moderate pace might be just what the doctor ordered.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-26-2004, 09:11 PM   #3

tah4349 HB User
Re: oops I forgot to ask...

I'm sorry, but I incorrectly stated that lactic acid is the reason for your sore muscles. Lactic acid is a by-product of exercise, but it does not cause the soreness. The sore muscles occur when the muscle is performing a lengthening contraction which leads to teeny tiny tears in the muscle. The tears, along with inflamation from the tears, is what makes you sore. It's called delayed onset muscle soreness (DOMS). But the advice remains the same. Get the muscles moving slowly and regularly and you'll start to feel better.

Closed Thread