It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-26-2004, 06:15 PM   #1
Veteran

boxgirl73 HB User
pinched nerve?

hi. new here. joined just to ask this question was at a yoga class on saturday and we were using the resistance bands...took it over my head with straight arms and behind me and realized my hand (left) went numb. My thumb and index finger were numb and stayed that way. Asked the teacher afterwards if this was normal and she said i may have just been straining my wrist and that's why it went numb. however, although my index finger is better (not 100% yet), my thumb is still numb and tingles when i touch it. Is this a pinched nerve? what are the symptoms of a pinched nerve? how long does it last? scary......

did go to the dr this am and he seemed to think it should go away in a couple of days. told me if it's not better by friday to call him and i'll have to go to a neurologist to have an EMG done and he said that's not something i want to have.......

needless to say, i'm more worried.....however, it really just seems that since i was fine before yoga and it happened in the class, that it's more than likely just the pinched nerve....

any input? any common experiences?

Old 04-26-2004, 09:18 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User
Re: pinched nerve?

I had almost the exact same thing happen. In my case it was just a pinched nerve - a ring I had on before going to bed put too much pressure on a nerve at the knuckle and the top of my finger was numb for over a week. I went to the doc and they told me the same thing; EMG or an anti-inflammatory. Not thrilled about the EMG either. Take ibuprofin for a couple days to minimize any inflammation and you'll notice the numbness will begin to subside. Give it about a week to get 100%. If it doesn't get better, you might wanna consider the EMG, but since you know when it occurred, I'd be willing to bet it's just a little trauma to a nerve.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-28-2004, 01:37 PM   #3
Veteran

boxgirl73 HB User
Re: pinched nerve?

I sure hope so....it happened on Saturday and it's now wednesday...at times it feels like it's getting better and other times it feels the same-sometimes my fingers feel stiff-the thumb and index finger....getting nervous....it had to have happened in the pilates class when i was working with the band taking my hands back behind me-everything was fine until then. can't possibly be CTS-no problems until that.....but my symptoms sound like that. how long does a pinched nerve last? do NOT want the EMG test...heard it really hurts!

Closed Thread