It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2004, 07:42 AM   #1
(female)

MissLijChristne HB User
I need help...

Does anyone know of any good exercise programs? I am a dancer and usually fit and healthy, but for some reason, I gained weight (I went from a size 2 to a size 10 in a couple of months). I REALLY need to lose a great deal of weight, but I am NOT willing to starve myself. Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appriciated!

~E.C.S.~

Old 04-27-2004, 02:01 PM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User
Re: I need help...

Diet is what you need to check first. All the exercising in the world will not compensate for a bad diet. And I'd be willing to bet if you honestly took stock of "what happened" between size 2 and size 10, it's going to be what you're eating. You most certainly do not want to starve yourself, but you will have to curb calories.

there are a lot of methods to reaching the same goals, but a few "rules" that must be followed. Calories are the primary factor in determining fat loss. You must have a caloric deficit (burning more than you are eating) or you will not lose fat. Conversely, if you eat too little, your body will slow its metabolism and hang onto fat, so you have to find the right range for your body. Gerneral rule of thumb is 10-12x bodyweight in calories each day (higher in the range if you're working out). If you can, divide those calories into 5 or 6 small meals to eat throughout the day (every 2-3 hours). It will keep you from being hungry and keep metabolism up so that you will use the nutrients and burn fat more efficiently.
Once that is in order, check the content of your diet. You need to be getting enough protein to build and maintain lean muscle mass (which keeps metabolism high) which is generally .8 to 1g per pound of body weight.
Carbs should be complex. Avoid sugars and white foods when possible (white bread, white rice, pasta etc) because your body metabolizes them like it would sugar which increases likelihood of fat storage. Whole grain breads and brown rice and the like are burned more slowly and less likely to be stored. Vegetables are always a good choice, fruits are ok, but don't overdo it (sugar).
You must have fats. They are not the devil. But fat has 9 calories per gram (as opposed to 4 calories per gram for carbs and protein) so those calories can add up fast. A little healthy/unsaturated fat each day will help your body to use it's own fat for fuel (under a caloric deficit). As well as regulate hormones and various body functions.

Also good is to drink 1-3 litres of water a day.

Now, for a workout, 3x a week is a good place to start. You need to condition yourself some before going full force. If you want to go to the gym, a little resistance training hitting each muscle group will help get some muscle tone. If you decide to do it at home, a small set of dumbells or resistance bands will be okay. Cardio for 20-30 minutes 3x a week will help build cardiovascular endurance and burn calories.

That's my basic suggestions. Hope that's helpful.

Last edited by Naxis; 04-27-2004 at 02:02 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-28-2004, 07:50 AM   #3
(female)

MissLijChristne HB User
Re: I need help...

Hi, and thanks for your reply,
I do think the majority of my daggon weight gain was dietary. I recently moved, as well, so some of it is stress. (I am under A LOT of stress) It seems like any time I get under stress, I gain a significant amount of weight...Anyway...I stopped eating so healthy this past year. (I basically live off of that Easy Mac stuff and Dr. Pepper...I know, shame on me for it...) I exercise a lot, as well, being a dancer. I have rehearsals (Very intense) about 5 times a week for somewhere around four to eight hours a day. So I guess I'd say I'm getting plenty of exercise!
However, earlier in February, I got a virus in my calf muscles and was practically immobilized for somewhere around six weeks. In that time, I gained a fair amount of weight, due to the lack of movement.
Thanks again for your replies!

E.C.S.

Last edited by MissLijChristne; 04-28-2004 at 07:51 AM.

Closed Thread