It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-27-2004, 08:46 PM   #1
Senior Veteran
(male)

Andrew29 HB User
Angry Acne & Protein

My weight is 150lbs. And every time that my protein intake is around that, my acne worsens, especially around the mouth area. I know a lot of you will probably say there is no relation between acne & protein, but I disagree. Does anyone else experience this? 75% of my protein intake is from protein powders. I've tried several protein powders and the same thing happens. Could it be something in the protein powders? I am a very busy person, and I NEED the protein powders otherwise I won't even come close to getting enough protein. Anyone have any thoughts?

Old 04-28-2004, 07:11 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User
Re: Acne & Protein

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrew29
75% of my protein intake is from protein powders. I've tried several protein powders and the same thing happens. Could it be something in the protein powders?
Get something not-whey if you have to use powder (although I think you should *try* to get more of your protein from real food). Some poeple get acne related issues from whey as a reaction to dairy/lactose. There are soy, egg, hemp, rice and non-soy vegetable protein powders available. You can get soy in bulk for fairly cheap, but the rest tend to cost more than whey. The ON egg powder is really good, but again, more expensive. Might try a change up for a few weeks and see if it makes a difference.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-28-2004, 08:21 AM   #3
(female)

lori g HB User

[QUOTE=Naxis]There are soy, egg, hemp, rice and non-soy vegetable protein powders available. You can get soy in bulk for fairly cheap, but the rest tend to cost more than whey.

I actually take soy Protein powder and have the same problem with the acne. I really didn't know what was causing the acne suddenly until now, it has to be the protein. Thanks for the info!! Now I need advise on how to handle it, would protein bars be a better choice?

Old 04-28-2004, 10:45 AM   #4
(female)

AnitaPita HB User

Wow..I have been having the same problem...acne around the mouth, and now that I think about it, this started when I started taking whey protein.....I have always had mild/moderate acne but never this much around the mouth.....

Old 04-28-2004, 11:54 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

Quote:
I actually take soy Protein powder and have the same problem with the acne. I really didn't know what was causing the acne suddenly until now, it has to be the protein. Thanks for the info!! Now I need advise on how to handle it, would protein bars be a better choice?
What do you mix it with?
Bars have the same protein in them, just in bar form.

Old 04-28-2004, 11:57 AM   #6
(female)

lori g HB User

I only mix it with water. Only once or twice in the beginning did mix it with plain yogert to get use to the taste. Now I only mix with water.

Old 04-28-2004, 10:28 PM   #7

Exile HB User

I started getting some more acne when i started taking protien, but I also had just started working out again, and figured perhaps i am releasing different amounts of hormones due to my working out, and that was causing the acne.

Old 04-28-2004, 11:02 PM   #8
Veteran
(male)

DoOoOoM HB User

Hmmm, 75% of your protein intake is from protein shakes? It's really only supposed to be 50%.

Old 04-29-2004, 06:00 AM   #9
Senior Veteran
(male)

Hitmen HB User

Exile, brings up a good point. If you've just started lifting, the increase in testosterone could be causing the flareup. but then again, a lot of people have broken out with whey protien. do a search on the acne board, I believe I remember seeing a topic on there about whey and acne not too long ago.

Old 04-29-2004, 04:36 PM   #10
Inactive
(male)

froe HB User

My question is- how many protein shakes do you have a day? how many glasses?

amount also matters.

There are obviously some food that causes acne. However, some people manage with eating inflammatory food (food that causes acne) as long as they do not have too much. I, myself, indulge in inflammatory food like pizza once in a while.

I know that when you're working out and need lotsa protein, some people take more than one protein shake a day.

My cousin used to get lotsa acne cuz he drank too much protein shakes a day. He just recently found out it was a cause for acne.

Now, even though protein shakes are inflammatory for my cousin, he still takes protein shakes but in moderation. He tries to find alternate sources of protein and he is now doing just fine with his skin. He says he takes them only after workouts, cuz that is one of the most best times to consume protein.

Therefore, my advice is that you "lessen" your intake of protein shakes and try to find alternate sources of protein. Choose the best time to consume the protein shake, when its most beneficial to your body. Whey protein may not make the cut if its taken too often. If you don't eat take too much, your "inflammatory levels" will be kept low, thus less of a chance of acne.

I see whey protein as inflammatory, but I don't know particularly see whether increased testosterone is cause. I could be wrong. I'll do research on that.

Closed Thread