It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2004, 01:37 AM   #1

kevinp HB User
Question I work my delts to failure but still nothing happens

I feel like my shoulders are falling behind the rest. Even though I workout my shoulders once a week and do every set to failure, I don't seem to be getting any results (no soreness the day after and muscles don't seem to be getting any bigger). Here's a typical routine for me...

Shoulder press using the machine
military press
lateral raises for front, mid and rear delts
upright row

I do around 3 sets of each exercise doing 6-8 reps each set.

What am I doing wrong? It seems like the rest of my body is improving while my shoulders have experienced minimal improvement.

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

BTW, how do I keep myself from arching my back too much (and recruiting the upper chest as a result) when doing dumbbell or barbell shoulder presses? What I do now is look down at the floor and it helps a bit but I still find myself arching my back towards the end of the set.

Old 04-28-2004, 07:02 AM   #2
Senior Veteran
(male)

Endorphin Junky HB User
Re: I work my delts to failure but still nothing happens

You're doing too much work on your shoulders. Doing 3 sets for each of those exercises gives you a total of 18 sets (!!)which is waaaaay to much. They're not a large muscle group. Infact, 18 sets would be too much for any muscle group unless you're on steriods. Add to that the fact that your shoulders get worked in most chest and back exercises, and you have a very overworked pair of delts. Reduce the volume. 6 sets on your shoulders is enough. You're trying to stimulate them to grow, not kill them.

For the arching the back prob, just don't arch your back. If you can't help it, you're lifting too much weight which is forcing you to arch so can use your chest to shift it instead of concentrating on contracting your shoulders, so reduce the weight. Bear in mind that your chest will do a little work anyway. Thats just the biomechanics of the movement.

Last edited by Endorphin Junky; 04-28-2004 at 07:08 AM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-28-2004, 10:41 AM   #3
Senior Veteran

Evl316 HB User

The exercise I recommend for shoulders is called Arnold presses. Using dumbells hold them out in front of you at around chin level so that your palms are facing you. You then rotate out as you lift up ending with the dumbells above your head palms facing away from you like a normal shoulder press then bring them down to the same position under control. This is easier on your shoulder joints since it's a more natural movement for the shoulder plus works all 3 deltiods in one motion. It's much harder to do than just regular shoulder presses. I'm not saying it's the end all be all of shoulder exercises but it's a great way to get an overall shoulder workout and I think it should be included in any good shoulder routine.

Old 04-28-2004, 04:05 PM   #4

brandnewday HB User

less exercises...more weight

Closed Thread