It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2004, 06:44 PM   #1

Sofran HB User
Chest Building

I want to further develop my chests, but I'm not sure how I should formulate my reps and sets.

Also, I wanna know how my size is relatively: I have a 37 inch chest, and a 29 inch waist. Is that an unusually small chest size, or is that considered "ok"?

Back to the sets, is doing 3 sets of 10 reps good for building size? If not, what should I do to build size?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-28-2004, 08:00 PM   #2
Veteran

mjmaciver HB User
Re: Chest Building

First of all, How old are you? If you're still young your chest will fill out towards the end of puperty anyways so don't worry about it being small right now, And judging by the size of your waist, your chest isn't that small. But is that the shirt size? or the actual inflated and flexed measurement?

Anyways, If you're new to working your chest then yes do 3 sets of 10 on bench (try incline as well) or another compound chest exercise for the first little while. That will set you up with a good foundation and develop stabilizers for when you get into a solid routine. (if you're new to working out all together this is a good rep scheme to start with for all exercises)
Stick to basics, don't get into a 6 day split with 5 different exercises per muscle doing all sorts of sets and reps for each one. 3 days a week is plenty, and don't forget to do cardio on your off days.
But if you're worried about your chest measurement work your lats as well.

Make sure to keep a pretty solid diet as well. try to take in 1g of protein per pound of bodyweight and try to eat as healthy as you can. Getting into massive specifics is just frustrating.

work your entire body, your chest will develop much quicker

I'm going to be completely honest with you, compared to average, a 37 chest (especially if this is inflated and flexed) would be considered small, but as I said above, proportionately it's not. After a few months you won't have to worry about it anyways.

talk to ya later

Last edited by mjmaciver; 04-28-2004 at 08:07 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2004, 12:42 PM   #3

Sofran HB User
Re: Chest Building

Thanks for the reply... I'm 16. And I've been exercising for a few months, so I guess I could still be considered new.

The chest measurement is flexed, yea.

Also, does height proportionally matter as well? If so, I'm 5' 11"

Closed Thread