It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-28-2004, 07:39 PM   #1

Bequickaboutit HB User
Too Much Exercise?

Okay. I usually exercise about 30 min. a day. Meaning, cardio, on some stair-like machine at the gym. According to the machine (not that I trust it) this is equivilant to about 300 Calories burned. Anyway, sometimes I go for an hour. This is ~600 Calories. Today, I did that. Well, then I, like the loser I truly am, ate some Ben and Jerry's. This is 760 Calories, people. Even if it is low fat yogurt, actually. Only ten grams of fat. Anyway, what would have really nice, is if I could have gone back to the gym for another hour and worked it off. Would that have been harmful? I opted not to, thinking it might be over doing it. How much exercise can you squeeze into one day? As much as you would like in order to balance out your Cal intake?

Or just 30-60 min and then that's-it-until-tomorrow-good-luck-not-cheating-again?

Thanks.

Old 04-28-2004, 07:57 PM   #2
(female)

Rheality HB User
Re: Too Much Exercise?

my 2 cousins are gym freaks. they wake up at 5, go to thr gym for an hour. during lunch they work out for half an hour and then they work out for another hour at night. i think that they are really over doing it. i had a personal trainer once and they always said anywhere from 40 minutes to anhour was good. pace yourself and dont over do it. if you do, then you will be in pain and not want to work out the next day. makes sense good luck to you!

Rhea

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2004, 01:37 PM   #3
(female)

heather6869 HB User

Hi Bequickaboutit, You don't need to go back to the gym, just cut your calories down for the remainder of the day to make up for the over indulgence of Ben & Jerry's. If it is at the end of the day when this happens then just cut the calories the next day or throughout the week or workout extra hard the next day. Don't worry about it- Just hope you enjoyed it.

Heather
117 CW
115 GW

Old 04-30-2004, 05:50 AM   #4
Inactive

zip2play HB User

Bequick,

I don't trust those calories recorded by a gym machine at all. I think they are amplified to make us feel good about a particular manufacturer's "excellent" workout machine.
If they told the truth, I'd be thin to the point of invisibility by now.

I think an infrequent work-to-exhaustion day is a good idea...I like to CRAWL out of the gym once a week or so, but if you do it day-to-day you cease getting benefits and usually come down with the flu or a cold...or worse.

It is AWFULLY hard to burn off a pint of ice cream....and a 760 calorie primarily sugar snack is a horrible insult to your pancreas. Not worth the taste-bud fix.

Old 04-30-2004, 09:41 AM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

rita HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bequickaboutit
Okay. I usually exercise about 30 min. a day. Meaning, cardio, on some stair-like machine at the gym. According to the machine (not that I trust it) this is equivilant to about 300 Calories burned. Anyway, sometimes I go for an hour. This is ~600 Calories. Today, I did that. Well, then I, like the loser I truly am, ate some Ben and Jerry's. This is 760 Calories, people. Even if it is low fat yogurt, actually. Only ten grams of fat. Anyway, what would have really nice, is if I could have gone back to the gym for another hour and worked it off. Would that have been harmful? I opted not to, thinking it might be over doing it. How much exercise can you squeeze into one day? As much as you would like in order to balance out your Cal intake?

Or just 30-60 min and then that's-it-until-tomorrow-good-luck-not-cheating-again?

Thanks.
Yes, you can definitely go back to the gym to work at least part of it off. Maybe do another half hour and then add another half hour to your regular workout the next day and you will be almost back to where you started, meaning that your little binge will be worked off. I do not recommend cutting calories the next day to make up the extra calories you took in. It will just leave you starving and this, in turn, may cause another binge. The best way to get rid of the "extra" is more exercise, not less food.
Also, it is very important to remember that just because you overdid one day, it by no means negates all your previous hard work. We all succumb to temptation once in a while. No big deal. It is a human thing to do so don't beat yourself up over this. Just put in some extra work at the gym and go on as before. Once-in-a-while cheat day is actually good for you and can boost your metabolism.

Old 04-30-2004, 10:47 AM   #6
Inactive

Kastro2 HB User

Ahem..
First of all: Working out SHOULD be done once a day. If you are doing a correct workout thats physically exerting then your body will burn off calories for the remainder of the day. And the more you eat, the better, because your body is speeding up by digesting more then it is usually used to, and in return your metabolism is getting faster.

Second of all: Sometimes less is more. After a real hard workout you should be able to feel your muscles getting sore (not pain, just feeling really worked) and really tight, it should feel nice. If your doing it right, dropping your weight as you reach muscle failure, it will be a sufficient workout for the day.

Throughout the rest of the day you should be eating as I said at first, your muscles are in such high demand for protein and nutrients so the body needs time to rest, in order to repair the muscles and feed them the protein they need to grow stronger.

It took me a while to know all this, so I hope it helps, it should...

Old 04-30-2004, 02:05 PM   #7

johnx HB User

I don't know if I agree that eating more will offer a net (-) calorie intake, as Kastro2 implied. Yes, your stomach burns calories when digesting food, but still, more calories are absorbed than are burned in the digestion. From what I understand, proteins burn about 30% of their calories in digestion, and they're the highest.

The best point Kastro2 mentioned is the metabolic increase from exercising. And, since muscle mass burns more calories throughout the day, adding muscle will help burn calories and fat, throughout the day.

Also, as far as exercising for too long - every week, I go for a 90 minute (or so) run. Figure I burn 1500-1800 calories (given my weight and pace) every time. Actually, I burn around 3500 calories a week just from my running - a full day's food!! Well...I should say that I started my running habit so I wouldn't have to change my eating habit.

Old 05-04-2004, 12:53 AM   #8
Veteran
(female)

paxy HB User

why would u get flu if u work too hard?

Old 05-04-2004, 10:21 PM   #9

never2L8 HB User

If you push your body too hard without giving it adequate rest and recuperation time, one of the first things that fails is your immune system. This means that your body has reduced capacity to overcome illness or injury. As the most common contagious afflictions affecting humans are colds and flus, this is what people usually come down with when they are run down. The more run down you are, the longer it will take to overcome any illness and this is why if you are unwell, you should make sure you allow yourself to recover properly.

As to the original question, the amount of exercise a person is capable of is an individual thing. What you are trying to achieve also can dictate how long or how much exercise you should do. If you are trying to build or strengthen muscle, then long workouts can be detrimental. If you are trying to lose weight or simply improve your general fitness, then a longer workouts can work providing you get enough rest and nutrition. The other factor to consider is intensity, if you are jogging or running you won't be (or won't want to be) going for a 2 hour session every day, but if you are walking an hour may not cut it.

Closed Thread