It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2004, 12:11 AM   #1

Kaci HB User
Training hard but cant lose weight

Hi Everyone
Im female. 5 foot 6 and weigh 10 stone 12.
Ive been going to the gym for 3 months, doing 3 times per week cardio and then various weights, I think I train really hard.
Ive lost inches and feel my body shaping up however I cant seem to lose any weight and although im losing inches im still to heavy as my comfortable weight is around 10 stone.
My diet is very healthy and I was having protien with every meal with small amount of good carbs. However since I havent lost weight ive cut back on my carbs so that I only get them from the Salad and smal amount of veg I eat. But im still not losing. Its driving me crazy. I couldnt be any stricter. I know its probably due to muscle weighing heavier than fat but surely I should still see some weight loss?
I would really appreciate any advice you have.
Thanks

Old 04-29-2004, 03:16 AM   #2

chloe_girl HB User
Re: Training hard but cant lose weight

If you are training hard three times a week and eating well I wouldn't worry about the weight on the scale. You say you've lost inches and toned up - those are good results. Remember muscle weights more than fat so your body composition has probably changed meaning you will have lost significant amounts of fat and gained muscle which probably cancelled each other out on the scales. I suggest you get a instructor at the gym to give you a fitness assessment which will measure your body fat percentage. Alternatively you can buy body fat monitors - they look like weighing scales. Also get your bmi measured 20-25 is the healthy range. If you're at the lower end of this range you haven't much to worry about.

I have a similar story to yours I'm 5'6 and had been a steady 9 stone 7 for a few years . Then after going a bit crazy on the sweet things at christmas I crept up to 10 stone 4 which I couldn't shift with diet or walking. So I consulted a personal trainer about 6 weeks ago and she put me on a 3 times a week schedule similar to your own - a mixture of cardio weights and stretching. She reassessed me last week and although the scale hasn't shifted me bodyfat has dropped and my muscle has increased. It takes a few months for this process ot show in your clothes but I know I'm headed in the right direction. This morning looking in the mirror I can see that my tummy is looking smaller than it used to which is a positive development. Keep it up and the results will come - just be patient.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-29-2004, 05:14 AM   #3

Kaci HB User

Thanks Chloe

Its good to hear that other people are in the same position.
I know your right, the scales shouldnt matter.

Thanks

Old 04-29-2004, 11:34 PM   #4
Inactive

Laurie2 HB User

Muscle is denser than bodyfat and so on the scales, you can look like you are the same or more...but your wardrobe is getting smaller as you lose inches.

I am also 5'6" and 180lbs right now (not sure what that is in "stone"....I think that is 14pounds?) Lost 60pounds lifting for strength at a local college class from 245 over a year ago. Learned quickly not to watch the scales but my clothes instead. Right now, after 33 years of marriage, I am back down to pre marriage clothes sizes but the scales say I weigh more than I did then. (about 165)

Built up some muscle while burning the bodyfat. I dont mind that. Still have to work on my stomach but that is where the body stored the fat first. But its alot smaller than it was in the beginning

Closed Thread