It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2004, 09:54 AM   #1

mzmuppet HB User
Is protein the answer???

Hi,

I recently started working out and eating better and all that and have surprised myself by actually sticking to it.

I'm hearing a lot about protein shakes and stuff after a workout. I'm planning on perhaps cutting meat out of my diet. Not for any other reason than I don't eat a lot of it anyway and when I do I feel a bit off. Would it be a good idea for me to have a protein shake after my workout? I hear it increases your metabolism aswell.

Could someone please explain the point of these shakes and supplements and stuff cos I've done a lot of searches but get different info from every single sight I visit.

Thank you!

Old 04-29-2004, 12:35 PM   #2

Used2BScooterTX HB User
Re: Is protein the answer???

Quote:
Originally Posted by mzmuppet
Hi,

I recently started working out and eating better and all that and have surprised myself by actually sticking to it.

I'm hearing a lot about protein shakes and stuff after a workout. I'm planning on perhaps cutting meat out of my diet. Not for any other reason than I don't eat a lot of it anyway and when I do I feel a bit off. Would it be a good idea for me to have a protein shake after my workout? I hear it increases your metabolism aswell.

Could someone please explain the point of these shakes and supplements and stuff cos I've done a lot of searches but get different info from every single sight I visit.

Thank you!
I don't know why you would cut meat out of your diet-- it's the best source of protein found in natural foods.

Basically, there are two reasons that protein powders and shakes are so widely used. The first reason is that protein consumption is absolutely essential for hypertrophy-- nobody denies that. I'm not a physiologist, but if you want a more detailed take on this, check out the writings of Paul Cribb on the AST website (ast-ss.com).

The second reason that the supplements are so popular is that they provide an easy and relatively cheap way for athletes to up their protein intake. For example, a 5 ounce chicken breast has about 30 grams of protein. The protein powder I use, when mixed with skim milk, has 34 grams.

Now, I have a choice: I can either grill that chicken breast (that cost me $1.50 to $2.00) for about eight minutes on the Foreman Grill, then take another 5-10 minutes to cut it up and eat it; or, I can mix my protein shake (80 cents per serving for the mix, 20 cents per serving for the milk) in about 15 seconds, and take another 15 seconds to chug it. As you can see, it's cheaper and faster to choose Option B, and I get as much (or more) protein for my effort.

Hope this helps.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2004, 06:22 AM   #3

mzmuppet HB User

Yeah, explains a bit, but I think I need to be more specific. What does protein do? I know it builds muscles but why is there such a big hype about having a protein shake straight after your workout? Does it help to tone up your body quicker? IS IT in fact a good idea to have protein after your workout or does it not really make much of a difference?

Can U eat too much protein? Would this result in significant weight gain? Mega Muscles forming?

Thanks!

Old 04-30-2004, 06:54 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

The biology behind the post-workout shake is this: when you work out, your body uses up all its stored glycogen for energy. If you don't replenish it fairly immediately, you will not build muscle and in fact may start to lose mass since the body has nothing to work with to start repairs. While protein is important post-workout, carbs are equally, if not more important. Whey protein is a prefferred choice because it is quickly digested and absorbed by the body. A general rule for the ratios of a post workout shake are 25% bodyweight in g protein and 50% bodyweight in g simple carbs. So for me at 120, about 30g protein and 60g carbs.

If you eat too much protein (too many calories) it can be stored as fat just like anything else. You have to work very hard and smart to get "Mega Muscles" . It will not happen by accident.

Closed Thread