It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 04-29-2004, 12:45 PM   #1
(female)

gigrl HB User
strength training-how often?

How often should I strength train ? Is it ok to lift moderate amount on a daily basis?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2004, 12:24 AM   #2
Inactive

Laurie2 HB User
Re: strength training-how often?

You can also do a three day "split" (M/Tues/Fri) for an hour/90 minutes. This gives your body a chance to rest and rebuild muscle. The lifting will keep your metabolism up along with a good diet.

Strength lifting is moderately heavy weights for 4 sets of 10 reps (or abit lower reps) with a minute's rest between each set. Be sure to stretch and warmup first.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 04-30-2004, 06:34 AM   #3
(female)

gigrl HB User

Thanks for your reply. I am currently doing moderate weights with high reps, m/w/f but I am not seeing the toning I want. Plus after a day off I lose motivation, if I do something everyday it becomes part of my rountine and it comes naturally. So I hoped that i could lift everyday, with out doing damage. I am asking because I have read the muscles need time to repair but I wondered if that was more for heavy lifting.
thanks

Old 04-30-2004, 08:16 AM   #4
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

You might want to increase the weight and do lower reps to see some muscle tone. You will not get bulky if you move away from the little weights. If you can do "high reps", (ie. 15+ reps) then you are using a light weight. Keep it to a range of 3 sets of 10-12 reps per exercise, meaning that doing more reps than that is difficult or impossible. If you do light weight - high rep, it is more of an aerobic activity and will burn more calories/fat, but won't do much for actual muscle tone.
You cannot work the muscles every day. Well, you can, but if you don't allow a day for recovery, you will *lose* muscle, and that's contradictory to your goals. If you need to maintain a daily routine, use "off" days to do cardio. Keeps you in the groove without sacrificing your progress.

Old 04-30-2004, 01:57 PM   #5
(female)

gigrl HB User
Wink Re: strength training-how often?

Naxis, thank you so much, just the info I wanted.

Old 04-30-2004, 06:13 PM   #6
(female)

snwflkcty HB User

How long are you supposed to strength train? An hour? That seems like too much. I've only been doing 5 min. Is that wrong?

Last edited by snwflkcty; 04-30-2004 at 06:14 PM.

Old 04-30-2004, 06:57 PM   #7

never2L8 HB User

The time you take depends on how many exercises you are doing. 5 minutes would only allow for 2 or 3 sets of one exercise, with no warmups, stretches or cool down, which to most people is not strength training. For a weight training session, an hour is usually the norm, depending on your goals and the exercises you are doing. For strength training, with longer breaks between sets, it may take you 60 to 90 minutes for a routine, for routines with shorter breaks between sets it may take 45 to 60 minutes. My sessions, usually 5-7 exercises (depending on the routine), 3 sets of 10-12 reps with warmup and a cool down (sometimes a short cardio) session, usually take me an hour.

Closed Thread