It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-01-2004, 06:42 AM   #1

orangebec HB User
Wink Flabby McButter Pants

K, I lost like 50 pounds in the last year and as a result I have a lot of “flab” so to speak… I used to be more solid when I was bigger… Now it’s really lose and I was wondering is there any real way to get rid of it or at least lesson it? I worked out a bit during the weight loss but not nearly as much as I should have… It was the lack of food that made me lose the weight to be truthful… So out side of surgery is there hope that I can get rid of it through working out? Thank you kindly for any help…

Old 05-01-2004, 02:39 PM   #2
Inactive

Laurie2 HB User
Re: Flabby McButter Pants

Loose skin will eventually shrink back with time and patience. Being the body's largest organ, it is also the most elastic to accomodate all the changes. If this wasnt so, it would stretch and split during a baby's rapid growth through the latter stages of pregancy. Stretch marks are were the skin made more of itself to allow more growth. "loose skin" is thin with very little tissue support. Like the thin piece of skin you can pinch on the back of your hand.

What most people here would call "loose skin" is actually softer fat.

As we women can tell you....the skin will eventually shrink back down, given time and patience. Keep eating eating properly and drink plenty of water to help keep the skin elastic.

As for flab, this is the less firm fat waiting to be used. Hard fat is fat that has not had a lot of blood circulated through it in a while. When you start exercising, the fat will become softer and more "jiggly"/flabby.

Sort of like a block of frozen ice on the road during the winter. It's hard and as time goes by and the weather gets warmer, it becomes slush.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-01-2004, 05:04 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

rita HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurie2
Loose skin will eventually shrink back with time and patience. Being the body's largest organ, it is also the most elastic to accomodate all the changes. If this wasnt so, it would stretch and split during a baby's rapid growth through the latter stages of pregancy. Stretch marks are were the skin made more of itself to allow more growth. "loose skin" is thin with very little tissue support. Like the thin piece of skin you can pinch on the back of your hand.

What most people here would call "loose skin" is actually softer fat.

As we women can tell you....the skin will eventually shrink back down, given time and patience. Keep eating eating properly and drink plenty of water to help keep the skin elastic.

As for flab, this is the less firm fat waiting to be used. Hard fat is fat that has not had a lot of blood circulated through it in a while. When you start exercising, the fat will become softer and more "jiggly"/flabby.

Sort of like a block of frozen ice on the road during the winter. It's hard and as time goes by and the weather gets warmer, it becomes slush.
If it was only so. As many, many women know, some of the skin that gets stretched by pregnancy never really shrinks back to its formal state and many women resort to plastic surgery to resolve the problem. With a weight loss of 60 pounds, the skin was probably stretched way beyond its ability to shrink back. Sorrry to sound so pessimistic but it's the way it is.
Of course, some shrinkage will occur but most likely you will still be left with quite a bit of loose skin.
The flab is actually not fat but flabby muscles. Fat is never hard. When you lost all this weight you uncovered muscle tissue that has not been exercised to make firm. That's what you need to do now. Do some weight training in addition to cardio to firm up your muscles. As your muscle mass increases you may actually be able to take up some of the slack skin left over from losing the fat.

Last edited by rita; 05-01-2004 at 05:08 PM.

Old 05-01-2004, 05:41 PM   #4

orangebec HB User

Well this is very confusing… Two very different answers… I want the first one to be right… But the second one sounds more like reality… Thank you non the less…

Old 05-01-2004, 05:52 PM   #5
Senior Veteran
(female)

Naxis HB User

They're both right, but it depends heavily on genetics. Some women's skin does not "bounce back" after pregnancy and some can look like they never had children at all just months after the delivery. 50 lbs isn't *really* a whole lot in the grand scheme of things. There are poeple who have lost hundreds of pounds and their skin will tighten to adapt to the internal changes. But as stated, some don't and do have to resort to surgery to remove the excess skin. If you lost the 60 pounds fairly quickly, you need to give your skin time to adjust to your new size, but as also stated, putting on some muscle mass will make that easier since there will be a little more bulk under the skin, but this time it will be hard muscle instead of flab. Good luck to you.

Last edited by Naxis; 05-01-2004 at 05:53 PM.

Old 05-02-2004, 07:33 AM   #6

orangebec HB User

Thank you kindly… that does make me feel better about it.. I am planning on working out/bike rides/exercising in general this summer… And hopefully I can correct this myself without surgery… Once again thank you…

Old 05-03-2004, 09:12 AM   #7
(female)

iridescentsea HB User

I put on 50 lbs with my pregnancy (I was 34). After giving birth, it took me about one year to lose all the fat and flab but I did. I' ve got no stretch marks or flab left. Make sure to eat right and exercise regularly. Biking, swimming, and uphill walking helped me to lose the excess weight. However, I agree with Naxis, how much the body/skin will bounce back heavily depends on your genetics.

Closed Thread