It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2004, 03:46 PM   #1

asdfgh HB User
Flab on my triceps / Stretch marks

there is alot of loose fat on the back of my triceps and that whole area connecting to my shoulder has these big white stripes running through it, probably stretch marks, what should I do

Old 05-03-2004, 12:44 PM   #2
Inactive

Laurie2 HB User
Re: Flab on my triceps / Stretch marks

Assuming you are doing some lifting, tricep exercises will help build muscle/firm up the area there. Ones like dips, tricep extensions, skullcrushers and close grip pressing. However good exercise in general, will eventually cause the fat stored there to be burned for energy. Taking away the fat and the skin will shrink more to accomodate.

As for the stretch marks, yep thats what they are. They will eventually shrink further in time and become thinner stridations or disappear. My "dewlaps" were good sizeed when first starting out lifting over a year ago. They have shrunk quite abit but I still have a ways to go to get rid of them altogether.

Last edited by Laurie2; 05-03-2004 at 12:53 PM.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 06-11-2004, 09:12 PM   #3
(female)

fawn512 HB User

i've been reading about skullcrushers...can u tell me how to do it?

Old 06-12-2004, 05:41 AM   #4
Inactive

Laurie2 HB User

"Skullcrushers" (also called a "French press") involves bending your elbows to hold a weight (like a dumbbell) at or near your forehead, then extending your elbow to press that weight to full extension away from you. This can be done lying down on a flat bench or at a slight incline. The barbell version can be used the same way or use an EZ bar.

There are three tricep muscles, Medial, lateral, and long heads. The medial/lateral are recruited only by movements at the elbow joint while the long head can be recruited by movements at both elbow and shoulder joints. If you look a anatomy picture of the upper arm muscle....you will see where these are. The skullcrusher hits the Long Head muscle which you use to raise your upper arms over your head. Tricep pushdowns and dips train the lateral and medial heads.

I do mine lying on a flat bench with my head close to the end so the dumbbell clears when lowering it. Then keep my elbows in and point above my head to keep tension on the triceps throughout the motion. I raise the dbl longways "I" to where it is above my forehead and then back down in a controlled motion. If using a barbell or EZ bar, Do Not flair out your elbows to the sides as this will harm the joints and puts more of your shoulder into the work.

Be sure you have a good grip when doing this AND if using adjustable bar/plates dbl, that the plates are tight. The last thing you want to do is have it slip and find out how the "skullcrusher" got its name

Overhead extensions is placing the upper half of your arm (if doing one dumbbell at a time) or arms (if using both with one dbl or two alternating or together) alongside your head about parallel to each other. Then pressing your elbow from a bent position to fully extended above. You can do this seated or standing.

Dips are really good tricep builders. Just make sure to keep yourself straight upward and do not lean. You can do this with dipbars or just with the bench.

Old 06-12-2004, 06:39 PM   #5
(female)

fawn512 HB User

I think i've been doing this exercise. But i use a diff term for it. I think its barbell lying extension or somthing. Coz i'v been using bb for this.

This is just like overhead extenstion but lying down right? so ur arms are perpendicular to the celing and ur lower arm is parallel to the floor right? then when u extend it, ur whole arms will now be perpendicular to the celing...

am i correct? I'm sorry i'm not good in defintions hehe.

Thanks for the info :up:

Old 06-13-2004, 01:55 AM   #6
Inactive

Laurie2 HB User

That sounds like it.

Closed Thread