It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2004, 03:49 PM   #1

asdfgh HB User
New to Dumbbells, a bit of help

Hi im new to working out, I am going to start buying dumbbells, I am 15... for strenght training what amount of weights should I get, right now I can do 15 pounds, but I tried 30 pounds once and it was VERY VERY hard...soo what amounts should I get, eg. 15, 20, 25, 30, and 35 .... for now ? and I've been reading some of the routines of some people and I don't understand what they are like Lat Pull ups, pull downs and all these "phrases" I do not understand and I don't know what they look like etc... is there a site with like picture and all these technicalities...thank you

Old 05-03-2004, 10:46 AM   #2

Calikermie HB User
Re: New to Dumbbells, a bit of help

I would get weights around 20 pounds if you say you can do 15. BUT, are you doing them right? I am 23 and am average strength, and I usually use around 10 pounds. If I wanted to, I could use heavier, but if you really are doing the excersize right,then you don't need really heavy ones. Make sure you are doing the move slowly, and really concentrating on flexing that muscle tightly. Get full range of motion and do about 15 reps or so. If you really do it right then you'll definately feel it.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-03-2004, 11:55 AM   #3

Used2BScooterTX HB User

For an explanation of different dumbell exercises and execution, check out the ExRx website (http://www.exrx.net/Lists/Directory.html). I reference this website all the time-- it's a good resource.

Old 05-03-2004, 08:39 PM   #4
Inactive

Laurie2 HB User

If you can. The best route is a pair of dbls with removeable plates. This way you can add to them as you go and is more cost effective. Also more versitile as you can use them, heavier or lighter, as whatever the execise....and your ability....calls for.

For example. I have a pair of Ivanko dbl bars (5lbs each) with a bunch of 10, 5, 2 1/2, and 1/14lb plates. These can be adjusted in weight for curls, presses, bentover dbl rows or whatever you can think of. Just add what your plate weights with the bar weight to know what you are lifting.

Old 05-04-2004, 06:02 AM   #5
Veteran

mjmaciver HB User

I'd have to agree with laurie on this one,and as she also said buying short bars and plates separately is usually more cost effective than the fixed dumbells as well.
But if you stick with dumbells then you're going to have to figure out which weights to buy on your own. Instinctive training my friend.

Here's an example of prices at the place I shop:

25lb fixed dumbell= $16.25 ($0.65/lb)

25lbs in plates= $8.75 ($0.35/lb)

Bars= $4.00 ($0.80/lb)

unless you buy very light weights, the adjustibles are cheaper.

But I'm not going to tell you what to do, just trying to save you a few pennies

Oh, and whether you buy dumbells or adjustibles, don't be afraid to look second hand: Iron is Iron is Iron.

Sorry to stray off your posts topic

talk to ya later

Last edited by mjmaciver; 05-04-2004 at 06:05 AM.

Old 05-04-2004, 05:02 PM   #6

asdfgh HB User

Wow, thanks alot I waited 4 days for somebody to reply to this and just today I checked and a lot of feedback, and I thank all of you for coming out . That website Used2BScooterTX is excellenet with all those moving clips I LOVE IT! helped me ALOT... and the facts about the removable plates one feedback from Laurie2 and mjmaciver was great ... Yes I have 15 pounds dumbells and I am buying plates lots of em seperately different weights, save me money..and now I know what those exercise names look like etc... thanks alot.

Old 05-04-2004, 11:59 PM   #7
Inactive

Laurie2 HB User

Good for you.

By the way, I bought my set at a local second hand store along with a Standard barbell (1" hole) and plates. My husband found a professional heavyweight Olympic bench with the 45lb barbell (2" ends) and plates at a local St. Vincent dePaul's store (like a Goodwill) for really cheap. It came with a preacher chair, leg extension, adjustable bench/crutches and a few other things. He bought this as a Christmass gift after my first semester of taking a college women's strength class so I could work out at home between semesters. I still use it.

Like was said, iron is iron. People will buy stuff new and some will soon get bored or overtrain. Places like secondhand/Goodwill/St. Vincent dePaul, or others like them will have nearly new or new gym equipment most of the time. This is a cheaper way to get some good gym equipment if you cant buy it new.

Old 05-05-2004, 06:18 PM   #8

asdfgh HB User

Olympic Sets? whats that.... and Im going to be starting an exercise regime but what do I need in total ... will a bench press, with bar and a total of 100 pounds of plates be sufficient and a handlebar thingy for dumbbell use with 30 pounds in each ..... so thats 2 dumbeblls with removable plates each one total 30 pounds ... with this stuff and the website with all those exercises if I do this, will it build up my strenght? and I need cardio because according to my BMI I need to loose atleast 10-20 pounds .... So Should I buy the Gazelle Cross Trainer from Tony Little? from the shopping channel , because its cold up here in Canada and it gets dark earlly ..... And also what should I do like .... how much do I increase my weights by, how many sets, how many reps ... what kind of exercises should I do .... what about water... etc... I am reallly new and need major help ... thank you

Old 05-06-2004, 01:09 AM   #9
Inactive

Laurie2 HB User

Olympic barbells are what you see being used in the Olympics (hence the name) or other lifting competitions like powerlifting or weightlifting in general. Bodybuilders use them too. The 7' bar has two free rotating 2" ends to put the larger plates on it. The bar itself it thicker to take more weight than the standard bar. The Olympic bar is 45lbs by itself while the 5' Standard solid bar is about 18 to 21 pounds....depending on the maker. Gyms generally have a combination of both for people to use.

The Olympic benches are made heavier and the crutches are set wider apart to aid in holding the bar/to prevent any tipping while loading the bar. You can type in "Olympic bench" or Olympic barbells to see what I mean.

When bought in sets, the Olympic bar comes with 300lbs of weights. What plates are not used can be put on a leg extension/curl setup if your bench has one. Some benches have Lat tower setups where the plates can be used for this too. Of course, when doing the squats.....300lbs eventually be done.

Complete standard barbell sets are much lower, depending on the maker. For example Ivanko's Standard sets are 136lbs. So beginning with a barbell set with 100lbs is a good beginning. You can always add to it.

"Handlebar thingy"? You mean an "EZ bar"? These are useful for doing some types of exercises.

I dont know about the Gazelle. With all the weights you have so far, you can easily do all the exercises for strength using that website as a guide. You will soon find the bodyfat leaving and strength building with just the minimum of equipment you have. Better to workout with this to get the form down and your body attuned to it for awhile. This.... than go buy an expensive piece of equipment that you may find not needed afterall.

Lift with moderately heavy weights 4 sets of 10-12 reps at first to get used to doing them and keeping in good form. Later you can workout with same sets with higher weights but at 6-8 reps before upping the poundage. Rest a minute between each set. Do this on a three day "split" with some cardio afterwards or on nonlifting days. Lift for an hour each session.

Basic Workout routine I

Bench press
Incline press
flyes
Bicep curls
tricep extensions
Overhead extensions

Workout II
Squats
leg extension (if you have the bench attachment)
Leg curls
Calf raises
Lunges

Workout III
Bentover Dbl rows or
Bentover barbell rows
Shoulder press
Lateral raises
Upright raises

Ab crunches each session.

This was my own college workout routine and a good basic routine to start out with. Stay with this for 6 weeks before adding or changing it. Up the poundage as soon as you find you can finish the 4 sets of 10-12 reps easily. For example, If you are starting out with 15lbs dbl curls and can easily complete the 4 sets with this....then go to 20lbs. The purpose is to keep good form ALWAYS! This to prevent any overtraining or fatigue working with to much weight at first AND to prevent any undue injury.

You should enjoy doing this, feel the 'rush" of accomplishment....not burnout from overdoing it.

Old 05-06-2004, 09:21 AM   #10

asdfgh HB User

Soo I need an incline bench?? with a barbell and atleast 100 pounds of weights .... and I need the dumbbells with removable plates aka. EZ Bar? and follow the workouts you have provided....questions... there are about 5 muscle groups per workout... and all those take an hour? soo If I do 4 sets of 10 reps on 15 pounds weight and can do them easily... I go to 20 pound weights the same day or the next day? and there are 7 days a week, so on the off days should I do running and swimming? and by ab crunches... how many ???? .... Laurie I'm sorry im asking you all these questions but so far you are helping me out so much that its like your my personal trainer and you should get money for this.... thank you for staying with me

Old 05-06-2004, 09:25 AM   #11

asdfgh HB User

orrr can I just do those 3 workout routines... and on the off days do nothing... or do I HAVE to do cardio work eg. swimming and running ..... and this is my shopping list so far... should I go for it ... total of 160 pounds of removable weights ... one barbell, 2 EZ Bars ... and a bench with incline ....

Old 05-06-2004, 01:00 PM   #12
Inactive

Laurie2 HB User

I did just the workouts and no cardio. So you dont Have to include that...it's up to you. You only need one EZ bar. You would need two dumbbell bars with plates. Other than that, it sounds good.

Old 05-06-2004, 01:14 PM   #13

asdfgh HB User

If I just get a normal bench, does incline decline really matter? like whats the difference if im doing the same thing but with incline or decline... can't I use like a dumbell to work the parts the incline/decline do??

Old 05-06-2004, 01:47 PM   #14
Inactive

Laurie2 HB User

The Incline works the upper Pec muscles and you can do this with dumbbells or with dumbbells. Working with dumbbells also strengthens the supporting muscles of the arms more than just the barbell alone. This is especially good if you are trying to improve your weaker arm's strength to match your right. We are all have one side stronger than the other.....because we use one side (right or left) more.

When in the gym and using machines, I found I was compensating with my stronger right arm. I was doing better using the barbell to force my weaker left to push harder. The Even better after building up the left arm more using the dumbbells. But it was not enough, I thought, as even as it was getting stronger.....I was still lacking a rep or two behind my right. I also had some problems sleeping on my left shoulder for years and would get a pain tweak when crossing my left to touch my right shoulder. Had some inflexibility problems with it....but still had most movement otherwise. Had an MRI done and found I had an old traumatic Rotator cuff tear. Not from lifting but from some old fall years ago. I just dropped back some exercises for abit, used some alternative should press ones and did some rotator cuff exercises to help it better.

IF I had not used the dumbbells. IF I had not started the weightlifting to begin with.....The inflexibility could have gotten worse. I could have faced possible surgery in the future. The orthopedic doc told me it would do more damage than help and did not recommend it. So, at least I know WHY the left shoulder is still abit weaker than my right doing some exercises.....but I can still do something about it to get it as strong as I can. I can live with fatiguing a few reps before my right during the last set.

Well, losing the bodyfat certainly helped too. I can cross over with my left to my right shoulder without the tweaking now and sleep on my left side.

Old 05-06-2004, 07:29 PM   #15

asdfgh HB User

So would it be safe to say that using dumbbells for most exercises is better? and also safe to say that you don't necessarily need an incline/decline bench, just a normal one with the places to put your barbell and a leg thingy would do

Closed Thread