It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-02-2004, 06:53 PM   #1

asdfgh HB User
Whey Protein can I used it even when not exercising

If it ok to drink 30 grams of whey protein daily or even 100 grams, even if im not working out like daily? and whats the best time to drink it, should i drink it after supper, or seperately like 3 hours before or after food?

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2004, 07:15 PM   #2
Veteran
(male)

Just-A-Boy HB User
Talking Re: Whey Protein can I used it even when not exercising

yeah ya could consume whey protein shakes if you are not working out... they are good for you and needed to repair the muscles.

I consume my whey protein for breakfast... 2 hrs after lunch. And at night when I work out, I consume it before going to the gym and then after the gym.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-02-2004, 08:11 PM   #3

Shane S HB User
Re: Whey Protein can I used it even when not exercising

Morning and around workouts are good times.

Old 05-02-2004, 09:40 PM   #4

asdfgh HB User

why would you need protein in the morning ? is it like if you don't eat breakfast then you have the whey? cuz i have 3 slices of bread, and 2 eggs in the morning

Old 05-03-2004, 03:12 AM   #5
Veteran
(male)

Just-A-Boy HB User
Talking Re: Whey Protein can I used it even when not exercising

For your information I dont have time in the morning to make breakfast. And its perfectly common for people to consume whey protein in the morning. I dont know where your ignorance is coming from.

And for you to say why would you need protein in the morning? Isnt egg(s) protein, so if no body needs protein in the morning, why eat eggs with 3 slices of bread... why not just eat 3 slices of bread alone.

Its very good to start of your day with fast digesting whey protein in my opinion, for me it gives me more energy...

Thanks for reading!

Last edited by Just-A-Boy; 05-03-2004 at 03:16 AM.

Old 05-03-2004, 03:59 AM   #6
Inactive

Laurie2 HB User

Sheesh, mixing a scoop of whey powder into my morning oatmeal makes it taste good.

Adds to my daily protein intake and helps give me energy

Old 05-03-2004, 10:23 PM   #7

CAPiTUH HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfgh
why would you need protein in the morning ? is it like if you don't eat breakfast then you have the whey? cuz i have 3 slices of bread, and 2 eggs in the morning
if you don't eat for long periods of time (i.e. while you sleep), your body will become depleted of nutrients (protein) and your metabolism will slow down. that is why it is important to get a large serving of protein and complex carbs right away in the morning. whey protein is preferred over meat/eggs/milk because it will be digested faster.

your body also becomes depleted of nutrients when you work out. for this reason, whey protein is also beneficial post-workout.

these are the only scenarios where whey protein is more favorable than protein from other sources. the rest of the time you are better off getting protein from real food.

Old 05-04-2004, 06:06 PM   #8

asdfgh HB User

so is it ok to have whey protein, eggs, and milk at the same time? cuz whey protein alone doesnt fill me up just makes me not eat for like 2 hours, if i eat breakfast I can last till 4 in the afternoon.... incase i miss lunch if im busy

Old 05-04-2004, 07:49 PM   #9

never2L8 HB User

I don't think there can be a protein overload from having whey protein, eggs and milk together but you are also getting a lot of calories and possibly quite a bit of fat. I mix my protein shake with low fat milk and usually have some carbs with it - some toast, a sandwich, some fruit or cereal.

Going from breakfast to 4pm is a long time to be without food and is not ideal for your metabolism (depending on what time breakfast is). Try and eat every 3 or 4 hours, even if it is a couple of pieces of fruit or a sandwich. A protein shake can be used as a light meal or a snack on its own you want. I suspect that if your last meal keeps you full for 6 hours or more you probably ate too much or the wrong food.

Old 05-05-2004, 04:42 AM   #10
Senior Veteran
(male)

Endorphin Junky HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by asdfgh
so is it ok to have whey protein, eggs, and milk at the same time? cuz whey protein alone doesnt fill me up just makes me not eat for like 2 hours, if i eat breakfast I can last till 4 in the afternoon.... incase i miss lunch if im busy
The milk and egg will slow the absorbtion of the whey. The three don't stay separate in your stomach.

In any case, whey isn't really necessary in the morning. Eating some carbs is a far more efficient way to stop muscle catabolism. The only reason your body may break down muscle for energy (= catabolism) in the morning is if you're running low on glycogen. Protein is mainly used for muscle synthesis and body repair and isn't a very efficient source of energy, so your body will only choose to convert it to glycogen if you don't eat enough carbs. Using whey for this purpose is a waste of whey (and money). Still be sure to get some protein in your morning meal though as it's important for muscle synthesis/repair, but a whole food source is sufficient. Infact, a whole food souce will be better as it'll give you a more sustained release of amino acids.

Last edited by Endorphin Junky; 05-05-2004 at 04:43 AM.

Closed Thread