It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2004, 01:10 PM   #1
Inactive

sonalised HB User
Faint, stars, weak... in the gym

Hi. I used to be a health guy form yearly age... I'm 22 now.

I did swimming at the age of, I think it was around 10(for a few years). Then I took up basketball and Dziu-Dzi-Tsu at the same time at the age of 15. That was for about a year. And I also did some exercices at home and school too.

Then a year later, I stopped everything, started to smoke a little... and then bit hevier (15 siggies a day)... so from the age of about 17 I smoked pretty a lot till the age of 20-21. Drank very little though. Did some street drugs too.

At the age of 21 I became very ill, but I don't know of what. I was in a crappy relationship... that was very stressfull. My diet was very bad... I ate junk food, frozen pizzas frm shops etc. One day, I felt extremely faint/lightheaded... and since that day I was very ill. I was so weak I couldn't get out of bed or lift a peace of paper. I think that was the result of a poor life... a very stresfull relationship and poor diet.

Some GP said it was depression and put me on antidepressants. The pills made everything worse and I now have an Anxity Dissorder + Depression + Depersonalisation/Derealisation.

Anyways. I have good days and I have bed days. I defintalle am getting better... but my mental illnesses are still with me... not as bad as before though.

The point. I'm tryint to get my life back (my now-ex and I have broken up). I want my health back.

I have mornings where I wake up and I feel sick... that happens everymorning. I just feel, wierd/strange/sick/unhealthy... but it gets better later in the day.

I try to eat as much as I can...

So, I've been trying to get back into the gym. But, the problem is...

When I do exercices, lets say... lifting some wights... I can only manage 40kg at this moment... but after the 7th or 8th lift... when I stop... i get VERY dizzy and get stars in my eyes and it's hard to breath. Feels as if while lifting... i start to feel a bit strange and as soon as I stop and stand up, a wave hits me right away and I feel dizzy and see stars... I need to take deep breaths as I feel strange...

So, sorry for this on going post... but I was trying to explaine my problem

Can anyone help? Suggest something?

How can I get my health back? What to do? How to do it?

And most improtantly, why is this happening? And will I ever feel good again? Where in the morning when I wake up I want to live and I feel alive! I get up, get out of bed, do some expercises... take a shower... feeling good... have breakfast... and have a good day. Because now, I wake up, and I feel sick, my head feels heavy... I don't wanna get out of bed... I can't do exercices and, I hardly ever eat in the morning.

Any suggestions? Thank you.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-09-2004, 02:59 PM   #2
Inactive

sonalised HB User
Re: Faint, stars, weak... in the gym

Bump... anyone out there?

Old 05-09-2004, 04:09 PM   #3
Inactive

sarez72 HB User

I know there's probably more to it than this, but have you had your blook pressure taken lately? Low blood pressure can cause the faint/dizzy symptoms you are describing, especially when doing exercise, or standing too quickly. Might be worth getting yours checked, as if this is the problem, there are measures that can be taken to get your blood pressure back to a normal range.

Other than that, the only advice I can recommend is to start slow...don't try and do too much too quickly, as it's the quickest way to lose motivation. If the weights you're lifting are too heavy, don't be ashamed to go down to a more comfortable weight. Give your body time to adjust.

Good Luck!

Old 05-09-2004, 05:37 PM   #4

painjunkie HB User

It could be that there's more than one area that could be behind what you're going through.

Some of them might be being compounded such that it's hard to distinguish between them and so address them properly. It might be worth separating them, by say, noting them down as you have done for this post,
and working them to your satisfaction.

Following a good diet, a sound exercise routine, bringing yourself back in those areas where you consider yourself able to do better (relationships, health/medication etc), would re-instill a sense of hope and balance and impact other areas in need of that.

Definitely do eat breakfast. Even if it's not the healthiest, if it's what you can start of with, then do so. Ease up on the fats, sugars, salt, refined carbs (white bread, pasta, rice - empty calories); up the lean meats, fish, whole grains, water, fibre, veg and fruits. Take a good general multi vitamin that has trace elements and minerals. Diet has a huge impact on sense of well-being.

Try St John's Wort, checking with your doctor first (if taking any medications), it could alleviate some of the symptoms.

Start off slowly when working out, let your body get accustomed to the overload gradually (so that it can adapt). Doing your weights routine covering major muscle groups, 3 times a week but at moderate intensity will help.

Don't exercise on low blood glucose levels, ie when hungry.

Regarding things like smoking and recreational drugs, they do have an impact. Particularly with drugs, they give a momentary and sublime high at the cost of somewhat long-term depletion of neurological function(s) and various associated lows (IMHO). If it's been more than a year, effects should be gone by now.

It might be worth getting a blood test done for various causes of fatigue like CFS, ME, viral hepatitis (liver infection), etc, just in case.

Have faith that even though you cannot see how you can regain your vitality and feel alive again, that it is possible.

Go easy on yourself, keep at it, think ahead. The answers are (and the truth is) out there. As you bring yourself onto ways you know to be right, what you feel right now will dissipate and you'll get back your strength and health. Give it time.

Best wishes.

Last edited by painjunkie; 05-09-2004 at 11:25 PM.

Closed Thread