It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-04-2004, 02:49 PM   #1

jjmantle HB User
Which is better to speed up meatbolism?

Im 17 years old...small guy...5 foot 5 ...i consumed about 1400 cal a day and i now want to get my metabolism back where its supposed to be. So now im increasing my calories but working out like i used to (runnin 2 miles, and pedaling for 30 minutes and 200 situps) 3 times a week. However with increasing calories i dont want to gain to gain a lot of weight. Anyway- what is better for increasing meabolism? Lifintg weights with more reps or cardio?

Old 05-04-2004, 11:48 PM   #2
Inactive

Laurie2 HB User
Re: Which is better to speed up meatbolism?

Lifting weights keeps your metabolism up better and longer.

Lifting will also burn more calories too. So you need not worry about gaining more bodyfat from this....the opposite in fact. As long as you burn more calories than taking in.

Building strength is what you might want to do. Not all guys want to "bulk", just have a good body and wellbeing. You can do this with strength training by lifting moderately heavy weight for 4 sets of 6-8 or 10-12 reps. Be sure to rest a minute between each set and do this for an hour/90 minutes a session. Three day "split" with some cardio afterwards or on nonlifting days.

This and a good clean diet will help you where you want to go with this.

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-06-2004, 03:23 PM   #3
Inactive
(male)

davelacb HB User

Try two teaspoons of lemon juice and two teaspoons of apple cider vinager and your metabolism will speed up and you may lose a little weight but dont expect it to work quickly.

Old 05-07-2004, 06:55 AM   #4
(female)

Sprat529 HB User
Question Re: Which is better to speed up meatbolism?

davelacb,

I was interested in the information you provided about the lemon juice and apple cider vinegar....is this something you have done yourself? If so what type of results did you have? Also, how long did it take to feel the results? Do you put the items in a liquid or do you consume them straight from a spoon? How many times a day is this done? i have taken apple cider vinegar supplements in the form of a pill, but i felt it did nothing for me, but give me a slight tummy ache. Did you experience any side effects such as I have described when using this method?

I am currently doing a yoga/pilates/tae bo program -
I was in a car accident, and crushed my leg. It has been a few years since the accident, I am able to walk but not alot and usually not without pain later in the day. I have put quite a few pounds from lack of excercise. I am trying so badly to maintain some type of physical fitness, but I am finding that I am tiring by 2-3pm, and not recovering from the feeling. After reading your post I was hopeful that there is a natural way to improve the metabolism, I would like some more information on your personal experience.

Thanks in advance

Old 05-07-2004, 03:00 PM   #5
Inactive
(male)

davelacb HB User

Sprat529,
I did this about half a year ago, my results were pretty good, but I also started eating more meals a day in little amounts. I'm not sure how long it took to really help, but that depends on how much weight you want to lose. I drank them straight from the spoon after every meal I had. If your stomach is a little sensitive you could take it with a little grape juice or eat a little bit of crackers afterward.

Old 05-08-2004, 03:00 PM   #6
Veteran

mjmaciver HB User

Quote:
Originally Posted by Laurie2
You can do this with strength training by lifting moderately heavy weight for 4 sets of 6-8 or 10-12 reps.
That rep scheme would put a primary focus on bulking up, To focus on strength do reps of 6 and under

When I strength trained I used 4 sets of 6,4,2,1. As much weight as I can handle for each set. The trick is to get a spotter and try and do one rep more than planned, you shouldn't be able to do it, and if you can do it, you know for next time to add more weight on that set. I saw excellent results and haven't had to strength train since.

talk to ya later

Old 05-09-2004, 10:25 AM   #7

asdfgh HB User

mjmaciver what do you mean be 6, 4, 2, 1 ? do you mean by like the first set you do 6 reps, the second rep you do 4 reps, the third set you do 2 reps and the last set you do 1 rep? i've never heard that before... and if so is this because eg. on the first set you do 30 pounds, 2nd, 40, 3rd, 50, and on the 4th set you do 60 pounds, but only once...?

Old 05-12-2004, 03:59 PM   #8
Veteran

mjmaciver HB User

You got it, but warm up with a really light set of 20 reps before you start

talk to ya later

Old 05-12-2004, 07:18 PM   #9

jjmantle HB User

Need some feedback on this..

I go to the gym...run one mile

Lift weights..curls..push ups...bench press

Run another mile

Push ups...sit ups...squats

I do this about 3-4 times a week...

Hows this for speeding up metablosim and losing some pounds?

Closed Thread