It appears you have not yet Signed Up with our community. To Sign Up for free, please click here....

Exercise & Fitness Message Board
Post New Thread   Closed Thread
LinkBack Thread Tools
Old 05-05-2004, 01:26 AM   #1
Senior Veteran
(female)

WhiskersOnKittens HB User
Arrow Problem with Elliptical

Hi all,
I just finished typing out a whole long explination of what's wrong here, and then I couldn't post it.....

Here's the gist of it: My parents bought an elliptical about a year ago, and I used it off and on, until about 4 months ago. Since then I've been using it on a regular basis, about 3 times a week for 15-30 minutes at a time (depending on whether I'm doing regular cardio or HIIT). The problem is that sometimes, the resistance seems to be harder, even when it's on the easiest resistance. In fact, I can move it to right in between the easiest and the hardest, and it's still the same resistance as it would be at the easiest. It's not ALWAYS like this, but I'd say 2 out of 3 times it is. My mom argued that it's probably just that some days my muscles are more tired than on others, and that's why it seems to be harder, but I really don't think so, because of the fact that it doesn't seem to matter what resistance it's on--it's all the same. I hope I'm making sense here .

So, do you guys have any idea what could be wrong? On the days when the resistance seems to be where it's SUPPOSED to be, I love to do 20 minutes of HIIT, but sometimes my muscles force me to be done at only 12 minutes. I'd really like to figure out what's wrong here, it's driving me nuts. I have 3 long haired cats--is it possible that maybe there's just a lot of cat hair caught inside or something?? I don't know... Anyways, any replies will be GREATLY appreciated, thanks for reading!!

Sponsors Lightbulb

Old 05-05-2004, 05:26 AM   #2
(male)

bjlauder HB User
Re: Problem with Elliptical

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskersOnKittens
Hi all,
I just finished typing out a whole long explination of what's wrong here, and then I couldn't post it.....

Here's the gist of it: My parents bought an elliptical about a year ago, and I used it off and on, until about 4 months ago. Since then I've been using it on a regular basis, about 3 times a week for 15-30 minutes at a time (depending on whether I'm doing regular cardio or HIIT). The problem is that sometimes, the resistance seems to be harder, even when it's on the easiest resistance. In fact, I can move it to right in between the easiest and the hardest, and it's still the same resistance as it would be at the easiest. It's not ALWAYS like this, but I'd say 2 out of 3 times it is. My mom argued that it's probably just that some days my muscles are more tired than on others, and that's why it seems to be harder, but I really don't think so, because of the fact that it doesn't seem to matter what resistance it's on--it's all the same. I hope I'm making sense here .

So, do you guys have any idea what could be wrong? On the days when the resistance seems to be where it's SUPPOSED to be, I love to do 20 minutes of HIIT, but sometimes my muscles force me to be done at only 12 minutes. I'd really like to figure out what's wrong here, it's driving me nuts. I have 3 long haired cats--is it possible that maybe there's just a lot of cat hair caught inside or something?? I don't know... Anyways, any replies will be GREATLY appreciated, thanks for reading!!
I bought one about 6 years ago. I spent less than $1,000 on it. Although it worked as described on the packaging for about 1 month, the first thing to go was the resistance. However, I still used it every day... for running not HIIT. It became unusable within a year! Now that I've had a gym membership, I've realized that I would need to spend more like $7,000 for an adequate piece of equipment. I think my home elliptical was okay for cardio, but I have better control with the fully computerized and maintained equipment at the gym.

As for the cats, I'm so allergic that I couldn't possibly comment. However, I lived in an older home, which was quite dusty. Even though I cleaned my place regularly, perhaps it was the dust that destroyed the resistance mechanism. On the other hand, I wouldn't think that dust would hurt a professional piece of equipment. Did your folks buy a professional elliptical or an "as seen on TV" model?

B

Last edited by bjlauder; 05-05-2004 at 05:28 AM. Reason: to add a sentence.

Old 05-05-2004, 01:54 PM   #3
Senior Veteran
(female)

WhiskersOnKittens HB User
Re: Problem with Elliptical

Yes, you're probably right. I think they did in fact buy it from an As Seen On TV store, so it was probably only a couple or a few hundred dollars. So, I guess there's nothing I can do about the resistance? That sucks. I don't want to join a gym for a few different reasons, so I might have to look into purchasing a newer, more top-of-the-line elliptical. Although that could be years away.... I'm moving out next year (in with my fiancee), and there is quite a bit in my life in the near future that is costing money, so this will kind of be at the end of the line..
I'll continue to use it anyways though--despite how hard it is on my muscles--I guess 12 minutes of HIIT is better than none, right? Thanks for the reply!

Old 05-06-2004, 07:06 AM   #4
(male)

bjlauder HB User
Smile Re: Problem with Elliptical

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskersOnKittens
Yes, you're probably right. I think they did in fact buy it from an As Seen On TV store, so it was probably only a couple or a few hundred dollars. So, I guess there's nothing I can do about the resistance? That sucks. I don't want to join a gym for a few different reasons, so I might have to look into purchasing a newer, more top-of-the-line elliptical. Although that could be years away.... I'm moving out next year (in with my fiancee), and there is quite a bit in my life in the near future that is costing money, so this will kind of be at the end of the line..
I'll continue to use it anyways though--despite how hard it is on my muscles--I guess 12 minutes of HIIT is better than none, right? Thanks for the reply!
If your concerns are financial, you can look to alternatives to a traditional gym. My Alma mater allows alumni to use the facilities at the college, for a small fee. Also, I had a friend who worked the front desk at a hotel. I paid a nominal fee each month to use that small facility. It was absolutely never busy. Id probably still be doing it that way, but my wife goes to exercise classes and my daughter likes to swim. The health club (gym) was the best alternative for my family.

If your concerns are body consciousness, I am relatively out of shape. At first, I really felt nervous about working out in front of others. However, Ive begun to realize that everybody is at a different place with his or her physical fitness. We are all there to improve our health and physique. Additionally, you are not just paying for a membership, you are paying for the club to maintain the equipment and keep the place clean. Finally, for me, the monthly fee is an incentive to go and work out. I had found that I was able to rationalize not using the elliptical that I had purchased. Id say, Oh, I can work out tomorrow. Its probably my own neurosis, but I make certain that the gym costs me less than $3 a visit, by going as often as possible ;-D!

Good luck and congrats on the upcoming nuptials!!!

Closed Thread